NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

iPhone & Mobile Schemes

Would you like an automatic style changer dependent upon your browsing device?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an automatic style changer dependent upon your browsing device?

• Yes, once 100% have auto-changer activated
    • No, let us choose individually
    • Other - please comment

Yeah I just thought of that when you posted (as in when I noticed you had replied and I clicked this thread)

I suppose replace with '>Click for youtube video[/noparse] but still nothing.

I'll leave it to you at the moment Shorty. I have art to be doing!

Edited by Ashley

The issue I foresee is that most phones can't play things like Gametrailers videos, and not that many work with Youtube. The iPhone and most HTC's work with the latter, and the Hero is the only one I know of that can play Gametrailers videos.

So, basically, the Youtube idea would be handy, whilst the Gametrailers would only be handy for me...

Oh, and as for the auto-change thing, is there a way of making it automatically change, but once you manually pick a theme on your phone, it remembers it without changing it on you desktop/laptop as well?

One last thing - is it possible for you to change the name of the iPhone theme? Not all of us with full-web capability have iPhones...

Edited by The fish

The issue I foresee is that most phones can't play things like Gametrailers videos, and not that many work with Youtube. The iPhone and most HTC's work with the latter, and the Hero is the only one I know of that can play Gametrailers videos.

So, basically, the Youtube idea would be handy, whilst the Gametrailers would only be handy for me...

Oh, and as for the auto-change thing, is there a way of making it automatically change, but once you manually pick a theme on your phone, it remembers it without changing it on you desktop/laptop as well?

One last thing - is it possible for you to change the name of the iPhone theme? Not all of us with full-web capability have iPhones...

Hmm YouTube is just the stand in at the moment. If we can get it working with that then we'll change the other videos too.

It should remember which device you're on. Does for me anyway...

Well the scheme was built around the iPhone (size and everything) but yes I'd imagine it would work on other smartphones. Not tried it myself personally. But yeah it is 'a scheme for iPhones which may work on other things', hence the name. But semantics? I did see a better iPhone one a while back which I will implement when I get time and change the current one to...smartphone scheme?

The iPhone works great on my Nokia 5800.

I was just thinking of the videos because more and more phones support it (either new phones or old ones with new software - such as the Skyfire browser for Symbian phones). It's not majorly important, but it would be good for when it's much more common.

So wait people do or don't want videos...there seems to be conflicting reports.

Either way, personally I think it would be better if it was just linked because then you can follow through if you want but I presume most people just browse the site on their phone in a rather "just a pop on" kind of way.

I should really have said, the iPhone scheme works great on my Hero, it's just odd having a scheme named after just one of many devices it works on.

I'm not sure if the mobile version is still updated but it seems to be missing the timestamp on posts. Works pretty well other than that!

We're kinda just letting tapatalk be the go-to for that now. It's a cop-out, but it works well :heh:

Tapatalk ftw. Can't think of going back to regular forums now.

Just use the standard theme. Double-tap to automatically zoom in to a readable level. Much better than an ugly, expensive app.

Just use the standard theme. Double-tap to automatically zoom in to a readable level. Much better than an ugly, expensive app.

I don't think the normal forums are really optimised for phones and tablets. Having to constantly zoom to a readable level as well as the buttons being a bit small to click (e.g. those to navigate to the last page of a topic or to switch pages) make Tapatalk much more user friendly in my experience. With Tapatalk all text is the right size, and clicking is easy.

There's also some neat features available like Timeline (view/respond to all posts as they happen) as well as various other cool viewing options. Made my life easier anyhow.

Ugly is obviously a subjective thing, but Tapatalk colours can be customised and I think it looks pretty damn nice. Has a dark mode too which is good when you're in bed when it's dark (and not wanting to disturb people).

Oh, and the app is cheap. Couple of pounds if I remember. [/sales pitch]

Edited by Sheikah

I just personally think it lacks the feel of the forum. It extracts the data and leaves the soul behind - it feels like something is missing.

Also, I don't like it when developers charge separately for phone and tablet versions. That's not the Android way.

I just personally think it lacks the feel of the forum. It extracts the data and leaves the soul behind - it feels like something is missing.

Also, I don't like it when developers charge separately for phone and tablet versions. That's not the Android way.

Tapatalk is charge once and works well on both phone and tablet. Tapatalk HD is a new app they geared towards larger tablets and is a separate app with some different functions and a new appearance. In this case I think it's justified as it's a new app - not just the same thing but on a different platform.

Sign in to follow this