NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Karl619

Gap Years!

Gap years.........what do you guys and girls think of them? Ever been on one? What was it like?

I have just graduated from uni and instead of seeking full time employment straight away I'm seriously tempted to do a gap year of sorts especially as getting a job is relatively hard nowadays. I never took a year out of uni for example or college and so I'm 20 and I haven't seen much of the world or experienced independent living or had an opportunity to meet new people and do fun things I would not normally experience. Plus now would be the ideal time to do something really because once I've got a job that's it. I'm tied down with a career.

I have got friends who travel the world as part of their uni courses because they study languages and I envy how cool they are haha.

So does anyone have any tips or advice on what I should do? I don't necessarily want to go abroad. I just want to do something different. Where do I look for gap year experiences, I've been looking at these camp USA things , they look interesting.

Anyway, your thoughts please :D

I don't quite understand how gap years work. I get the idea, do something pretty awesome for a while, but surely that takes money and if you've just come from Uni or whatever, surely money is pretty tight as it is?

I'd just get a job to get some cash, then do the travelling/epic experience stuff. Or do it whilst working. Although once you get into the routine of earning money, it is hard to go back to not working.

I've got a part time job now but I'm beginning to get sick of it. After a few months I will have enough money to go on some sort of experience. I just think life is too short not to experience new things.

I just think life is too short not to experience new things.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That said, I didn't take a proper gap year or anything. I just got a job and fannied around doing whatever took my fancy untill I decided/decide what I want to do long term.

The idea is very appealing. But i'd want to go somewhere that's hot (not because of the weather mind) and I don't do the heat.

You could just go travelling and that, and I imagine you would enjoy the extra freedom. However, if you were doing something organised, say about the rainforest, you might get to work in places usually out of bounds to the general public. Some really rare unspoilt bit of nature of which you would probably never see the like of again. I'd love to go somewhere like that. But yeah i'm no good with heat, and i'm a fussy eater so i'd probably starve too :P

Don't bother trying to become a counselor at a camp in America, they'll ban you.

In all seriousness, it does seem fun but even more of delaying the inevitable.

Don't bother trying to become a counselor at a camp in America, they'll ban you.

In all seriousness, it does seem fun but even more of delaying the inevitable.

I don't think I've ever heard that story. Only bits of it.

After the gymnasium (equivalent of high school, I guess) and thus before uni, I'm taking a gap year, mostly because the work load in the gymnasium has really worn me out in regard to studying.

I don't know if I'll go travelling or if I'll just "relax". Probably get a small job and maybe take up a hobby, perhaps get back to karate. I'll definitely be getting a driver's license, too.

My two cents:

Gap years are useful especially between uni and college so you can sort out your head, have a break from learning, get some life experience, grow the hell up and have some fun. Ready for a very busy 3 years.

As a postgraduate i guess they're helpful, but i'd try and use the time to gain experience towards a career goal, even if it's volunteering. Having said this some employers look at people who have had life experiences favorably. Try and do things that will add to your CV for your dream job, and try to avoid wasting a year.

In addition, you can apply to study abroad if you wanted to carry on with education, that way you can stretch your wings abit. There are also various post-graduate opportunities to live and work abroad for a year like JET scheme stuff. If you want to go to europe rather than japan, it might be good to take a couple of months a do a TEFL teaching course. That way you earn, and have lots of new experiences in a different part of the world.

*phew*

I wish I took a gap year to help sort my head out. I think I rushed into Uni too quickly, and now I'm slightly regretting what I've done. I would have rather taken a year out and gotten into a small amount of debt, instead of doing something I didn't find fun and getting into quite a bit of debt.

But you're talking about after Uni so I can't help.

After uni I got a job worked for 18 months, quit last September and when traveling until the end of April. Had a fucking awesome time got to see some truly incredible things. (being in Chicago when Obama won the election was awesome). Don't regret it for a second even if my bank statements make me cry currently. Would do it all again infact I probably will in a year or so.

Which bits?

Well ... just that it involved some camp counselling ... and you ended up banned from the US or ...?

i went on one but the bloody thing broke down. They wouldnt offer a refund. So I though, "sod this" and got a taxi.

Well ... just that it involved some camp counselling ... and you ended up banned from the US or ...?

I applied to be a "counselor", and became the appointed Journalism Teacher of Camp Awosting in Connecticut.

By this time I'd paid Camp Leaders about £300 for all their admin bullshit, and £60 getting a train to London, and £15 on a t-shirt [which is wank] got another one for free beforehand.

Had to go to the US Embassy to get my Visa. Another £60 train to London and £90 for the Visa. Then they suddenly remembered I had epilepsy [something which I never kept hidden] and refused my visa, I said it was a done deal that I wouldn't drink out there so there's no chance of seizures. They said I had to visit one of their Embassy Approved medical places to be psychoanalyzed and crap.

Another trip to London, £60 and had to pay about £130 for this medical shit, in which I spent around 20 mins being asked some questions and they took some blood off me.

I finally get a letter from the Embassy saying I'm a danger to myself and others under some bullshit legislation. As such I'm banned from a visa for 3 years, and have to go on another lengthy process if I want to go on holiday there. £90 on a visa I didn't get [No refund policy] and Camp Leaders gave me a £50 "goodwill refund" I guess, saying they'd spent more on me than I'd given them to begin with [...]

I probably have two of the most expensive t-shirts in history.

I finally get a letter from the Embassy saying I'm a danger to myself and others under some bullshit legislation. As such I'm banned from a visa for 3 years, and have to go on another lengthy process if I want to go on holiday there.

What...they're allowed to do that? What do they think will happen in 3 years that will be any different, meaning you can then apply for a visa? What pigs.

Hey,

I reckon a gap year is a great idea - if you're worried about the cash element have you thought about teaching English abroad? Once you're TEFL qualified there's loads of jobs all over the world. I did a TEFL course through i-to-i and they then helped me get me a paid job in China afterwards - had the most amazing time and would thoroughly recommend it.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this