NEurope
ReZourceman

Pokemafia - The Pokemon Mafia Game

I wanted to vote for Ellmeister right from the beginning, but noooo... It was "insufficient evidence". Goddamn it people, townies are supposed to vote for players they suspect, not "No lynch" because there's "insufficient evidence" (yes, Martinist and Ashley, I'm looking at you)

I was a mafia newbie and while ReZ did explain lots and answer my numerous questions a few things obviously weren't covered.

Still, im bitter about having nothing to do :p

Still, im bitter about having nothing to do :p

Now you know how girls feel having sex with you ;)

I think that fits :(

This was one of the first games I was a spectator for, you get a totally different view of things. I could tell that Ell and Dohnut and that were mafia for ages, but none of you would vote! I have to admit, having been in a mafia with Nintendohnut, he is a very good player, I would actually say he's the best.

How many games have been won by mafia and how many by town? Because I think it generally is slightly easier for the mafia to win, unless the town have a biit of luck at the beginning and manage to reduce the mafia numbers early. Otherwise it becomes quite easy for the mafia at the end because people are reluctant to vote.

I look forward to pokémafia 2 ReZ :)

This was one of the first games I was a spectator for, you get a totally different view of things. I could tell that Ell and Dohnut and that were mafia for ages, but none of you would vote! I have to admit, having been in a mafia with Nintendohnut, he is a very good player, I would actually say he's the best.

How many games have been won by mafia and how many by town? Because I think it generally is slightly easier for the mafia to win, unless the town have a biit of luck at the beginning and manage to reduce the mafia numbers early. Otherwise it becomes quite easy for the mafia at the end because people are reluctant to vote.

I look forward to pokémafia 2 ReZ :)

Its started naw!! :)

I agree that it seems easier to win as the Mafia.

Exactly, right? It's hard to tell wether Dohnut is telling the truth or not, because he's such a good liar. And it worked for him this time.

I never understood why some people decide to get reluctant near the end of the game. Sure, some of them are mafiosos playing dumb, but the actual townies have no reason to be reluctant. The endgame is the best time to take a gamble.

Well thanks very much! I wouldn't say I'm best by any means but I do love these games!

And now I think I've dug myself a hole. If I'm a townie in the next game, people will think 'oh he's a good liar' and think I'm a lying mafioso. If I'm in the mafia, people will know that I'm a good liar and just vote for me anyway.

Basically in the next game, whether I'm good or bad, I won't be able to talk myself out of any situation.

Either that or I'll be a townie and the mafia will kill me on night one. Again.

Bugger.

I know I didn't participate in this, but this is relevant both to this and to many other mafia games:

How come Alakazam and Gengar are neutral? They don't have specific win conditions, ergo they win when the town win, no? Thus they are simply townies, are they not? This is something I've seen in a fair few mafia games: Neutral roles that aren't really neutral. Even if a neutral's power is ambiguous and could potentially hurt the town as much as it could help it, he's still a townie unless he has a separate win condition. This win conditions could even just be additional to stopping all threats to the town.

Sorry for the small rant, it's just something that has annoyed me a bit.

This is a good point. If someone's win condition is 'wins when all threats to the town are eliminated' then they're a townie. If they are a killer/vigilante, their win condition should either be win with the town, and be a townie, or they have to kill a certain person/people to win, and they they are neutral. Having neutral players is pointless unless their win condition is different.

The point is that Eenuh was in fact a 'threat' to the town in that she could have killed any of them at night. In this sense she is a threat and the win condition of the town is always 'eliminate all threats to the town'. Therefore she cannot have the win condition the same as the town because she is a threat to them... if you see what I mean.

I don't know, it's a complicated argument.

This is a good point. If someone's win condition is 'wins when all threats to the town are eliminated' then they're a townie. If they are a killer/vigilante, their win condition should either be win with the town, and be a townie, or they have to kill a certain person/people to win, and they they are neutral. Having neutral players is pointless unless their win condition is different.

The point is that Eenuh was in fact a 'threat' to the town in that she could have killed any of them at night. In this sense she is a threat and the win condition of the town is always 'eliminate all threats to the town'. Therefore she cannot have the win condition the same as the town because she is a threat to them... if you see what I mean.

I don't know, it's a complicated argument.

But if she is a vigilante, she's a killer on the town's side and thus not a threat to them.

But it is indeed a complicated argument with way too many ifs. I think people should be careful with neutral roles and really think through how it should work. For example, if the game continues until town/mafia victory, does a neutral become a townie as soon as he has completed his objective?

This is just one of many problems you have to consider when making neutral roles.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I seem to remember some really good, imaginitive neutral roles from early games. Mostly Chairdrivers I think, neutrals having to use a certain power on a certain person by a certain night, or stealing a certain item from someone, perhaps convincing the town to lynch someone along with the mafia so that they win. The video game mafia (I think it was mafia game 3, way back when) was especially good as a neutral took the win right at the end (Cube I seem to remember?).

That in fact was the game that got me involved in these games. Funny story actually - I saw the 'mafia game sign up thread' and thought 'oh that's just a thread about the new scarface game on Gamecube' or something, and didn't even look into the thread. Then, when the game itself started I clicked it and was instantly hooked. I wish I'd ben able to get involved but I read every single post of that thread and followed every day, and when it finished I instantly signed up for the next one. The rest is history.

Good times.

In this one the mafia recruited whichever neutral (or had the option to recruit) the neutral that they first investigate. (So Alakazam became dark)

In this one the mafia recruited whichever neutral (or had the option to recruit) the neutral that they first investigate. (So Alakazam became dark)

Ah, now that's an interesting game mechanic. Then it's logical that they were neutrals. Well thought out, ReZ. :)