NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Why does it matter bumping an old post? I have never really got the issue with doing that i think it is a good thing. This post has really made me think of all the quality that the NES had. I am going to start off my LOZ journey from game 1 soon.... Just me, some beers (which I would of never had as a youngster) and some retro gaming. Write a review on each as I go.... Thanks for bringing this up guys I now have a mission for the next year!

How weird I was just thinking today of doing the same thing! But yeah I have no problem with old topics being bumped up, but a fair few people seem to, not just on this forum, so thought I'd apologise anyway

Why does it matter bumping an old post?

If its been a particularly long time since the last post in a thread, sometimes its nice to start a new fresh discussion. Netiquette.

With this being the retro board, I think we can talk about old games in old threads. : peace:

Why does it matter bumping an old post? I have never really got the issue with doing that i think it is a good thing. This post has really made me think of all the quality that the NES had. I am going to start off my LOZ journey from game 1 soon.... Just me, some beers (which I would of never had as a youngster) and some retro gaming. Write a review on each as I go.... Thanks for bringing this up guys I now have a mission for the next year!

Sounds good. Good luck with that!

If I was to attempt a LoZ marathon, I'd probably start with the most recent game and work my way back to LoZ1. If I started with LoZ1, I'd probably abandon the plan after I'd died for the hundredth time!

No, I haven't played it since I was a kid, though I did enjoy it a lot.

I think some day I may give it another go, but it took me over the course of three years on and off to finish LoZ on the Virtual Console. I owed it to myself to finish that game once and for all. Gave me a warm, green glowy feeling.

I tried Zelda 2 on the collection disc from the gamecube, its brutally hard and can never see myself having the patience to do it.

I tried Zelda 2 on the collection disc from the gamecube, its brutally hard and can never see myself having the patience to do it.

This. I've gotten past the first dungeon, but after that, the game mechanic just felt too archaicly unforgiving. Wasn't fun to play anymore, so that's that...

Can't remember how far I've gotten in the first LoZ, prob dungeon 5 / 6 / 7...yeah, it gets hard too, but it was still enjoyable to play. Wouldn't mind finishing the game someday...

The problem with Adventure of Link is that you're sent back to the start if you die three times (it's three times, right?). I don't know why they thought introducing a life system was a good idea -especially not when it's so unforgiving. I think you also lose all of your experience when you lose all of your life?

And then there's the fact that it's so easy to be knocked down pits and losing a life that way. The first game can be difficult at times, but there's nothing that kills you in one hit.

The problem with Adventure of Link is that you're sent back to the start if you die three times (it's three times, right?). I don't know why they thought introducing a life system was a good idea -especially not when it's so unforgiving. I think you also lose all of your experience when you lose all of your life?

And then there's the fact that it's so easy to be knocked down pits and losing a life that way. The first game can be difficult at times, but there's nothing that kills you in one hit.

yeah the life system is a massive mistake to be honest, only zelda game with it right?

It is extremely unforgiving but there are shortcuts to get you to the latter sections of the world map as you progress so you're hardly starting from scratch.

Also with the last dungeon even if you die three times you restart from the entrance so at least that's something.

Oh and you definitely don't lose your experience points when you start over, that would have been ridiculous.

It's also IMO one of the darkest Zelda games around, and I loved the way the game presents Hyrule as this gritty gothic-style place, with great locations, mythology, dungeon design etc. Very under-rated I reckon

Edited by Ronnie

It is extremely unforgiving but there are shortcuts to get you to the latter sections of the world map as you progress so you're hardly starting from scratch.

Also with the last dungeon even if you die three times you restart from the entrance so at least that's something.

Oh and you definitely don't lose your experience points when you start over, that would have been ridiculous.

It's also IMO one of the darkest Zelda games around, and I loved the way the game presents Hyrule as this gritty gothic-style place, with great locations, mythology, dungeon design etc. Very under-rated I reckon

yeah i knew this actually remember hearing on podcasts and such like people talking about how you almost have to grind to finish it.

With the life system, having to start back at the start of the game every time you lose all of your lives and the lack of 1ups (which, in one of the most surprising design decision, don't even respawn!), losing all your experience points when you lose all of your lives really wouldn't have been that much of a stretch. :heh:

I always felt that The Battle of Olympus was the game Adventure of Link should have been.

I must say, I love side-scrolling action RPG. I have completed all of the dungeon, but I can not save the points from the last run to the end of the last boss. Any suggestions?

You are soooo right, the first Turtles game on the NES was incredibly difficult. The second level with the electric seaweed, that was hellish!

Y'Argh! Why do people keep saying this! It was a piece of piss!

Y'Argh! Why do people keep saying this! It was a piece of piss!

I agree, pretty basic navigate-a-maze stuff...

The seaweed wasn't that bad, if you were a gamer kid, family members would never get past it. But the game on the whole was damn hard. If you lost a turtle, that was it, it was like four lives for the whole game, and a couple of the lives (Mikey and Raph) having crap, dangrously short reach weapons. The last level, driving around the enemy compound, was very hard unless you knew exactly where to go and Shredder was damn near impossible, just as he was in the Turtles II Arcade Game.

It all depends on the order. I could do it only getting hurt by the one at the end which is plastered with seaweed. That was mianly because I swam right through it not caring. I knew I'd survive.

Oh sup, old thread for an old game :D

This and Wind Waker are my two favorite Zelda games. This game just tried some neat things and I always felt like I was exploring something and just... it's a fantastic (and hard) game. I have three copies of this for the NES and I have another copy on the GCN collectors disk thing, and the GBA port as well. I'm a big fan of this one. :D

yeah i knew this actually remember hearing on podcasts and such like people talking about how you almost have to grind to finish it.

Yeah, if memory serves it only takes off the experience on the level you're at.

For example, say you're on level five, 100 EXP points to get to level six. You're on 99 EXP and you die. You lose those 99 EXP points. It doesn't take you back to level 0/1.

I knew you lost your experience points when you lost all of your lives. Not sure why Ronnie corrected me when I said so. :blank:

Definitely my least favorite Zelda game in either case.

Sign in to follow this