NEurope

Actually, entering information yourself is what makes backloggery much more fun! Instead of just getting bland automatic milestones like "mages guild: arch mage" (i.e. BOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING), you can write your own stuff about how you're progressing. Like: "Just became arch-mage. Well, doing arena now, at least it's a bit different..." I like writing a little something down after I've played, comes very naturally with the whole keeping records thing. Also, you can see what other people are up to. In this way, it's kind of like twitter for games :D I mean descriptions are much more interesting than anything automatic...For example, I see @Jonnas writing "Little King's Story - Now this is a majestic castle! I'll need to spend some time exploring this properly!" and I can already visualise a majestic castle in my head! :D Also, reading how he progresses gives me all kinds of impressions of the game, giving me some insight into what kind of game it really is. Plus it's just fun to read what other people are up to!

Well, the main thing I was talking about was the simple tracking of the title of the game you've played, not so much the progress. Ie, to be able to tap in the first few letters of the game's title and then have it pop up, then auto-complete the format etc.. That way you could populate your list in a matter of minutes, then go back through and highlight the ones you want to go back to etc, then go back again to go into detail about how much you've done already, and finally return once more to the level of detail you described.

No reason you shouldn't be able to do both!

Backloggery's personal comments are, indeed, cool. Due to a friend lending me his PS2 and college restarting, my Wii has been neglected for a while (Little King's Story stopped at a good point, luckily), but thanks to those comments, I can always picture the place where I left off. We just need to be responsible with the spoilers.

And writing the name ourselves can help if you're playing, say, a hack, or a fangame. Or even if you prefer to, for some reason, split the game into two parts (as if it was a compilation).

And Shorty, I'm not sure what you mean, your collection can be navigated pretty easily. The only thing that's missing is the huge database (which I personally don't mind).

That's all I mean, the lack of database means a lack of correlation with others. If I add "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess", but you add "Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess" and Ville adds "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" - there's no indication that we have been playing the same game as one another. So much wasted opportunity! If it was a combined database it could have rankings included easily, it could have discussion boards, it could have "See how your friends are doing on this game" etc. etc..

That's all I mean, the lack of database means a lack of correlation with others. If I add "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess", but you add "Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess" and Ville adds "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" - there's no indication that we have been playing the same game as one another. So much wasted opportunity! If it was a combined database it could have rankings included easily, it could have discussion boards, it could have "See how your friends are doing on this game" etc. etc..

There was a similar one that did that. The only problem was that if they didn't have a game, you had to send them the details and wait for them to add it.

They also had an option to give them your Gamertag/PSN and it would automatically fill the lists.

Got around to updating my Backloggery account again, I need to try and keep it going this time.

Got around to updating my Backloggery account again, I need to try and keep it going this time.

Added. Shame there's not that much active people from here using BL. Well, seems that there's a community of its own there...

Added. Shame there's not that much active people from here using BL. Well, seems that there's a community of its own there...

I religiously use it! I update it to reflect the three games I'm currently playing.

I keep forgetting to add guys from N-E. Gonna do it now.

And yes, I keep mine updated.

Here's mine so add me. Or not. Whatever. Tend to keep mine updated, but I don't think I have my entire backlog up there yet.

I've gone to make an account and ~ville is on the list of latest updates. Lulz.

I did the opposite to shorty, and thought I'd made an account when this thread first came about - apparently not! Awaiting registration email (crikey.. it's not instant?!)

Just a brief look at ville's and I do quite like the blog aspect - it's something that appeals to my hoarding side but the task of entering every game sounds a little daunting, but perhaps rewarding in its own way. I've not got that many games to my name currently, and largely rent/borrow, but I am guilty of purchasing new games when I've got games sitting on the shelf and this might just do the trick. Will report back if/when the rego arri-- GENIUS. It's in the junk folder. Of course.

___

Hit a cataloguing issue - do I define Metal Gear Solid HD collection as just that, or should I break it into separate games? Separate games will remind me that I've got some left to finish, I suppose... Back(loggery) to it!

EDIT: ... just spotted I can toggle to detailed mode... glad I noticed after adding just a few games!

I religiously use it! I update it to reflect the three games I'm currently playing.

I use it!

Added both of ya fellows.

Just a brief look at ville's and I do quite like the blog aspect - it's something that appeals to my hoarding side but the task of entering every game sounds a little daunting' date=' but perhaps rewarding in its own way. I've not got that many games to my name currently, and largely rent/borrow, but I am guilty of purchasing new games when I've got games sitting on the shelf and this might just do the trick. Will report back if/when the rego arri-- GENIUS. It's in the junk folder. Of course.

___

Hit a cataloguing issue - do I define Metal Gear Solid HD collection as just that, or should I break it into separate games? Separate games will remind me that I've got some left to finish, I suppose... Back(loggery) to it!

EDIT: ... just spotted I can toggle to detailed mode... glad I noticed after adding just a few games![/quote']

Yeah, it's like a gaming blog / statistics machine combined with a bit of social media. I like writing small impressions while updating game progress, and then combining them into a condensed review of pros and cons : ) Also, it's cool seeing what other people are playing at the moment and reading their impressions as well! The page banner is just a personal extension of mine: I add each game I've recently beaten to it, looks very nice. Overall, I think it's a great little service, has some room for personal rumination...

As for collections, yeah you can add them under a collection or as separate games. Shouldn't affect the listings...although personally, I prefer the separate method, looks better to me.

Added a fine bunch of you folks :)

How would you go about this; I owned 50+ games then sold them all, including probably at least a dozen that I never played. Should I even list them? Pretty harsh to list them as unfinished, as I'm hoping not to buy them again!

Added a fine bunch of you folks :)

How would you go about this; I owned 50+ games then sold them all' date=' including probably at least a dozen that I never played. Should I even list them? Pretty harsh to list them as unfinished, as I'm hoping not to buy them again![/quote']

Depends on you. As of now, I've even listed some of the games I've not owned myself but have just played in childhood, for nostalgia reasons : D Anyway, you can mark any games you don't want to be counted in the listings as "null". I have a lot of those myself, because some games I don't have anymore, and some are just too frustrating / boring to even consider beating. This way, you can have a more realistic list of "unplayed", i.e. games that you actually wanna beat someday.

Edited by Ville

How you organize it and how you classify it is entirely up to you. With games that I used to own, if there's a part of me that wants to buy/play them again, I leave them as they were when I sold them (Mystical Ninja and Tetrisphere fall under this for me), but if I'm not interested in touching them again, I "Null" them (the Pokémon Stadium games fall under this) or erase them entirely (I plan to do it with Disgaea once I get around to selling it). The exception is if I already had completed the game before selling it, as the reason I'm doing this is to avoid having unfinished games that I don't plan on completing, anyway.

Also, I never count games that were lent to me, even if I'm currently playing them.

In general, what I tend to do is:

-If I've never reached the ending/goal of the "main" game, it's Unfinished;

-If I reached the ending of the main game, then it's Beat until I complete/collect everything else (this way, I keep track of games I can still do stuff on. Super Mario Sunshine was "Beat" until very recently).

Co-op modes and using a different character to beat the game (even if that character's mode is very different) tend to fall into "everything else";

-I never use the "Mastered" status, as it implies there are no more challenges to be had with that game, and this is almost never true.

-I use the "Null" status for other situations: games I'm not interested in beating, but own for different purposes (Rise of Nations is a game I own purely for Multiplayer). Also, games I can't beat/complete ("Columns" has no goal to speak of. The Speedy Gonzales game for the Mega Drive was unwinnable due to a glitch)

Games that I own in more than one system, I "Null" whatever version I won't be playing in (I owned Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 on the N64, bought them later for the Gamecube and Virtual Console, respectively).

For that matter, for games I only own in the VC, I add their original versions in Null, to organize it better (if I list my N64 games, I want to see Paper Mario and Majora's Mask, too)

But really, everyone uses their own judgement for these things, I organize it this way to help me keep track of my collection, and what's finished or not under my definition.

I've found that my distinctions have somewhat flexed since I started. Considering the VAST majority of my modern gaming history, as found on xbox.com, has been borrowed games or games I no longer have it was important to define WHY I'm doing this. Yes, partly to ensure I go back to the games I have - realising i have Dead Rising, Devil May Cry 4, Quake 4, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Brutal Legends, MGS3 and The Orange Box just sitting there waiting to be completed... and that's not even considering the XBLA I have...

So many of my games are unfinished but I no longer own them. For a while I was giving myself a Mastered symbol for 100% games, but then decided to shift my thinking. Unfortunately It means that I have all sorts of misordered items floating around, but I've spent probably 2 and a half hours inputting stuff instead of properly enjoying my Friday, and I'm only about 75% through!

Not sure if I'll extend backwards. Roughly... 20 MSII, 35 GB/GBC, 5MD, 25 N64, 30 GC games. I've impressed myself with my memory of the last 5 years of gaming so y'never know.

Looking forward to ATTEMPTING to keep this updated. I'd sig it... but it looks a bit ugly :P

: D Nah, just take your time with it.

As for the Mastered ones, I only have 3 so far. All are personal feats accomplished outside normal gameplay, something extra but also challenging:

-Super Mario 64, finally managed to do the Princess' slide shortcut.

-Biker Mice From Mars, won every single darn race with Vinnie on Super Hard

-Monster Hunter Tri, soloing the mountain-sized Jhen Mohran with a lance, my personal Moby Dick ; D

I'm still using my backloggery:

http://backloggery.com/redshell

Although I don't really need to keep track of my uncompleted games anymore, only got 5. :D

It's a nice way to see what other peeps are playing though, so I keep checking it out every time I Add/Beat/Complete a game. :)

: D Nah, just take your time with it.

As for the Mastered ones, I only have 3 so far. All are personal feats accomplished outside normal gameplay, something extra but also challenging:

-Super Mario 64, finally managed to do the Princess' slide shortcut.

-Biker Mice From Mars, won every single darn race with Vinnie on Super Hard

-Monster Hunter Tri, soloing the mountain-sized Jhen Mohran with a lance, my personal Moby Dick ; D

Wow that's pretty impressive. I've only put one game as Mastered.

Blade Runner Finished the game with all the possible endings and did a speed run of sorts.

I've started updating mine. Including around 100 unfinished Steam games.

Good luck :) I updated mine with my 360.com info open in another tab - frustrating that it's not so straight forward as it ought to be, but at least entering manually really did get me to think about the games I have -- mostly the XBLA games I have. I also omitted a fair few gams that I have low achievement scores for, or games I have no intention to go back to - but I left lots in that I'll probably never play again, too...

My multitap currently suggests I'm more 'complete' than Cube is... so I wonder if your update is going to better my position or erode it!

As an obsessive game finisher, seeing a list where nearly 60% of the games are unfinished makes me a bit light-headed.

I think you should try to finish The Sims next.

A few reasons for that

- Steam Sales

- Humble Bundles

- PlayStation Plus

- Lovefilm

- Not marking N/A games as N/A

I don't think you need to add every game you've ever touched, Cube. :p