NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite

Anyone playing this? Just came out.

boxart_eur_monster-hunter-freedom-unite.jpg

Edited by Choze

I have been playing the hell out of it since I got it on Saturday and I have once again fell in love with it like I do every MH game I play.

At the moment im on my way through the 4* Village Elder quests but im about to come up against the first Elder Dragon some im gonna have go do some farming for items so I can get some better armour and upgrade my weapons.

Im kitted out with full Khezu armour which is doing the business so far and im using the always awesome Eager Cleaver ( long sword ) which is pretty much destroying everything it touches. The thing can be upgraded even further so I look forward to ulnocking its final forms later.

I played a few games with the nephews the other day, we did 4-5 Guild Hall quests together. They both love the series aswell and the older one like myself has been playing the series since the beginning so we make a pretty good team. We used to have to carry the younger nephew but he has learned the attack patterns of the enemies and has come into his own now.

I hate how this game doesn't get the attention it deserves over here in the west. Its such an additive and fun experience and with the ability to play online by using the PS3 now is a great time to try the series out if you have both the PSP and PS3.

Thing is i am new. the demo suggest the game is quite slow. So i am not sure. But i could do coop in the summer as oddly alot of men seem to like playing PSP on the go...

Will pick this up at some point, was going to get it on release but bought a DSi and thats keeping me busy for now. nice to see it go a simultaneous release up on PSN sign of the times...

The game starts off very slow and it does help if you have someone there to guide you through the early stages of the game, just so you get a feel for things. I mentioned in another thread just last week I was on XBLA chatting away to one of my mates while we were all playing it, telling him what armour/weapons etc to go for as he had never played one before. Once he started getting the hang of it he was hooked.

I dont expect many if any of you on here to buy it but if you do feel free to ask me for any advice regarding the game. Im more than happy to discuss the ins and outs of this series with anyone. Im sure I could nick my mates PS3 and hook up with you guys to give you a hand until you get the hang of things if you wanted. :)

Im actually looking forward to MH3 being released on the Wii. There are alot of people looking forward to it that have never played any of the games before and its a fair bet alot of them won't like the thing once they finally get their hands on it. Its a game that you have to sink ALOT of hours in and its quite a money saver too. Once I start playing it I stop buying/playing anything else for months. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

The game starts off very slow and it does help if you have someone there to guide you through the early stages of the game, just so you get a feel for things. I mentioned in another thread just last week I was on XBLA chatting away to one of my mates while we were all playing it, telling him what armour/weapons etc to go for as he had never played one before. Once he started getting the hang of it he was hooked.

I dont expect many if any of you on here to buy it but if you do feel free to ask me for any advice regarding the game. Im more than happy to discuss the ins and outs of this series with anyone. Im sure I could nick my mates PS3 and hook up with you guys to give you a hand until you get the hang of things if you wanted. :)

Im actually looking forward to MH3 being released on the Wii. There are alot of people looking forward to it that have never played any of the games before and its a fair bet alot of them won't like the thing once they finally get their hands on it. Its a game that you have to sink ALOT of hours in and its quite a money saver too. Once I start playing it I stop buying/playing anything else for months. :D

Theres a PC application that lets you play online with ad hoc games;

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=4302149&publicUserId=5450684

Capcom plans to offer new and free content for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite every Friday over the coming months.

Last Friday saw the arrival of the first batch of DLC, which adds a Triumvirate of Sands quest where Daimyo Hermitaur, Tigrex and Plesioth monsters lurk in a desert locale.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite began its Western campaign earlier this month. Pop over to our Monster Hunter Freedom Unite review to see what the fuss is about.

From Eurogamer

NICE!

I've got this game too. Only had a little go on it but shall be pumping away at some monsters when I get some spare time.

Just bought this. Going to start playing on friday after my exams.

Just checking you guys know about Capcoms official meet up in London:

capcom-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16831

Sounds awesome, i'm defo popping down at some point because i know nothing about this game and need some help.

This weekend I finally got around to fighting one of the new beasts! Its a bird type creature with similar moves to Kut-Ku and has the ability to put you to sleep. I killed him a few times to get some carves and make some armour, still missing some parts to make the armour plate though :(

I have also upgraded my farm some more and my cat is now maxed out at level 20. I have started training a new one called Remy who dishes out damage using only bombs, that should help when taking on a few of the harder creatures.

Im 60 hours in and im not even halfway through the game yet :D

Sounds awesome....I am defintely going to invest in this at some point when I feel like plundering that much time purely into one title.

Should i grab this then? I liked FFXI and games like that....

Its hard to say whether you will enjoy it or not. If you have the ability to go online with it or have friends that have it near by then yeah you will probably love it. If this is your first time playing a MH game and are going solo you may find it a little hard and end up giving up before you get to the good stuff as the learning curve is pretty steep. Seeing that you play FFXI means that your no stranger to putting in alot of hours into a game so your safe there :D

Check out GTs review. The only thing they get wrong is that the game could not work with a lock on system, it would take away far too much and would change the gameplay style immensly. Gamespot marked the game down for being too hard, methinks they should get back to playing Carnival Games.

As I said the learning curve is steep but once you learn the patterns of the creatures attacks you get a great sense of satisfaction. The game is much about killing things as it is about taking your time and waiting for the right oppertunity.

It easier going solo than previous versions through as you have your cat with you which helps to distract the various creatures. At first he may seem a bit useless but level him up with bombs and other features such as a healing ability and he becomes a valuable assest.

Hmmm.... I do like the look of it. What do you mean about "the ability" to go online? I thought the PSP couldnt get you online on games?

Put in 10 hours, yet still only tried short sword and dual blades properly. Like my gear: bone shoulders, bone legs, giaprey helmet +2, giaprey blades +1, hi metal gloves, but i want to upgrade soon though (need a giant bone for the baboon waist).

Was beginning to feel quite powerful then took on the huge pink baboon, Congalala, and after 50 mins of chasing him i was broken. Going to try again soon.

I'm not over the critical mass of becoming addicted yet, still more learning curve to climb, so still at risk of giving up on this game.

Any tips at this stage Hero of Time?

Get full Giaprey armour, this should last you until you can upgrade to Kut-ku or Garuga armour. As for weapons it really depends on your fighting style. Using a Great Sword is the best option for beginners as it is powerful but also gives the option to block, yeah the Long Swords look cooler but you have to know what attacks are coming as you can't block.

As for tips for beating the monkey make sure not to attack him while he is in RAGE mode ( he will have a red face/butt ) All boss creatures go in and out of these modes when you do enough damage and its best to avoid them until they calm down again. Once you become more comfortable with its attack patterns then feel free to attack it while its hyper.

Watch when he starts to do his 3 claw swipe this is a great time to attack because on his 3rd swipe he does a little jump and falls to the ground for a short period of time. Use this time to run over and bring his energy down.

Try to attack him from the side if possible. If you attack from the front he will use his belly which he sticks out and sends you flying across the screen. If you attack his butt and he does happen to go into rage mode at that point then he will let one rip on you ( lol ) and you will have to use deodrant before being able to use items again.

As with any moster make sure you have 10 potions with you and traps. Get 2 trap tools and combine them with 2 genpray fangs which the old woman next to the guild hall will sometimes sell. This will enable you to trap the beast for a good 10-15 secs giving you time to get a good few hits in. Try not to use it when its in rage mode as it breaks out quicker.

Hope this helps.

Caught the advert for MH Freedom: Unite earlier on TV. "The game thats taken Japan by storm!" Or words to that effect, lol- as if us gamers didn't know that already. Don't know about anyone else but only one thought crossed my mind when watching the advert: Hero-of-Time.

Bought the game from GS in Birmingham the other day. Yet to play it but how would i go about getting it online? I ask for I am sensible enough to use a Mac and i have a PS3, so not sure if the thing from 1UP applies to my situation.

FANKS!

Use this, Karl. It explains how to get your PSP online using your PS3.

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/all-about-psp-games/51539-how-play-monster-hunter-using-ps3-ad-hoc-party.html

Im about 5 hours away from reaching the 100 hour mark :yay: I have been jumping between this and Persona 4 all day and I imagine I will be doing the same all week. Ive got some wicked bug armour at the moment, makes me look like a Beetleborg :D

Saw an advert in the cinema for this today, looks quite appealing.

Sign in to follow this