NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Extreme Escape: 9 Hours, 9 People, 9 Doors

- character designs by Kinu Nishimura

- directed/screenplay by Kotaro Uchikoshi

- play as Ryohei, a college student that awakes to find himself locked in a room with the number 5 painted on the door in blood red color

- Ryohei has been forced to play the "Nonary Game" with eight other people. Players are assigned numbers one through nine, and they must find/open nine doors to solve the puzzles inside. If the puzzles are solved, the players are set free

- numbered doors need groups of 3-5 people to open them, and the numbers assigned to the players must add up to the number on the door.

18234124641802719712220.jpg

18235124641810966712254.jpg

18240124641814684712235.jpg

This game (or should I say novel) is absolutely superb!

Already becoming a cult classic in America...this is vastly becoming one of the best DS games I've played!

It's like 'Saw'...rather twisted too but the actual story and writing keeps you reading on and on!

Haven't come across many puzzles yet but they are very clever and quite difficult..when you do!

Superb so far!

Have been aware of this. UK date please. Who usually localises Chunsoft's games in EU? Aksys are pretty much hopeless to us. Sega? Rising Star? Please?

I've been keeping an eye on this one too and would like to think it will make it over here at some point..

Glad you're enjoying it, Owen :grin:

Found it :D

Started the game. I will probably enjoy it, because I love numbers. Nonary game, digital root...hopefully there will be more.

Escaped the 'intro room' and number 9 is dead.

Coincidentally '9' is not part of the nonary system. 'Zero' on the other hand is, so I guess he - being the apparent villain - will take a much bigger part in the (in his) game than it seems.

999. Its digital root is 9. Coincidence? Well, I assume not. Maybe it has some significance.

And in general, there seems to be a connection between digital roots and numbers which are multiples of nine.

I'm probably already interpreting too much into it, but I love this :D

Started the game. I will probably enjoy it

Ooookayyy. I take that back. The game bores me. The story is intriguing but the puzzles so far are boring as hell. You don't have to think about what to do next, just randomly click at stuff and one of two things will happen:

1. nothing

or

2. you find a clue.

And with these clues...well, nothing really, the clues give you the answer to the riddle. I didn't have to think about the answer once.

one of the numbered rooms after the large 'hospital'-room.

Might be too early to quit but I can't get myself to start the game up again. Maybe sometime when I have absolutely nothing to do and I regain hope that it gets better.

Should've been an actual novel.

Edited by drahkon

I thought the puzzles were fine, but I don't really remember many of them. You're doing it wrong if you're playing it for the puzzles, anyway. They're just there to break up the story a bit - which I appreciated, because visual novels can get a bit boring at times when you have so little input - and you're going to have to replay most of them several times anyway, so you're going to be glad that they're easy. :p

Ooookayyy. I take that back. The game bores me. The story is intriguing but the puzzles so far are boring as hell. You don't have to think about what to do next, just randomly click at stuff and one of two things will happen:

1. nothing

or

2. you find a clue.

And with these clues...well, nothing really, the clues give you the answer to the riddle. I didn't have to think about the answer once.

one of the numbered rooms after the large 'hospital'-room.

Might be too early to quit but I can't get myself to start the game up again. Maybe sometime when I have absolutely nothing to do and I regain hope that it gets better.

Should've been an actual novel.

Stay with it if you can. The plot is handled incredibly well and on subsequent run throughs you can skip through hoards of text.

I've never been a big puzzle fan in these types of games and tbh I actually prefer how simple they rooms are to escape in 999 compared to the puzzles in the sequel, a game which I just use a guide in to escape each room asap.

999 is great though and the plot is just fantastic. Certainly made my mind run through some theories before realising they were all wrong lol.

You convinced me to go on.

Here's something I'd like to ask:

I found out that Snake died.

During the subsequent talk Ace said that Zero had to be on the ship because he was always referring to it as this ship and not that or the ship.

As I'm German I'm not sure what to make of it. Is there really such a huge difference between these words? The/that and this?

I mean, I know that this is generally used for things that are near, as opposed to that. But I always thought it was simply a grammatical matter and in colloquial language the distinction is kind of neglected.

Can I take it for granted that there is a difference that matters?

If you can answer without spoiling the story, then be so kind and do ;)

Still think I'd enjoy 999 more if it was a real novel :p

But the story does get more interesting.

and you're going to have to replay most of them several times anyway, so you're going to be glad that they're easy. :p

If you're talking about multiple playthroughs, I highly doubt' I'll do more than one. There probably is a wiki to read.

Edited by drahkon

If you're talking about multiple playthroughs, I highly doubt' I'll do more than one. There probably is a wiki to read.

Well, then I have bad news for you: it takes a minimum of two playthroughs to get the true ending, and that's assuming you get a very specific ending the first time. ;)

But it's worth it! Open your mind and learn to love the game. :p

Edit: Oh, and maybe you should check out Ever 17 if you haven't already. That's a pure visual novel, so no puzzles in sight. Just occasionally making dialogue choices. It was written by the guy who wrote this game.

Well, then I have bad news for you: it takes a minimum of two playthroughs to get the true ending, and that's assuming you get a very specific ending the first time. ;)

Well, I think I can read every ending on the internets :p

Completed the game now.

No conclusion, everyone was murdered and I can't wrap my head around who/what killed everyone.

Could've been one of the 9 (if we bring 'person number 9' into the equation) , with one faking their death. Highly unlikely for the ones who exploded.

Could've been Zero, if he wasn't one of the 9. Who is he then?

And I really don't get what all this talk of the experiments with those 16 (why 16?) children and Cradle Pharmaceutical is about.

There's probably a meaning behind it, but I don't understand it. Yet.

The number 9 is everywhere (well, of course, given the name of the game)

• The 9th guy who died first, who apparently wasn't even part of the nonary game - why was he even there?
  • The nonary game itself
  • Zero + the 8 'participants' = 9 (so, if the game really has 9 participants, which include Zero, then Zero shouldn't/can't be one of them, 'cause then there would only be 8 people playing the game)
  • Digital roots and their connections to numbers that are multiples of 9 (that hasn't been discussed at all in the game, I just read about it)
  • Lotus' daughters disappearing 9 years earlier only to come back 9 days later

There's probably more that I can't remember. Should've written all this shit down :D

I realized something just now: I don't think I've came across room 9. :o What the hell?

And all this talk about telepathy, controlling people...blah blah. No idea.

Maaaaaaaaaan, this is so goddamn intriguing. Now I'll definitely play the game again...

Damn you all for showing me this game. :p

@Magnus Did Ever 17 ever (ha) get a release over here?

Edited by drahkon

We told you it was worth it! :heh:

I recommend following a spoiler-free walkthrough to get the rest of the endings to save yourself the trouble of going through a bunch of puzzle rooms again only to end up at an ending you've already seen.

And yes, Ever 17 was released in English on the PC. I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you look for it. ;)

It's probably worth noting that the translation is pretty iffy at times (though you can always understand what's going on) and the pace is a lot slower than in 999. It takes about half the game for things to begin to pick up, but after that it should elicit the same feelings of "I have no idea what's going on" that you're so familiar with now. So if you decide to play it, make sure to stick with it!

Well, I think I can read every ending on the internets :p

Completed the game now.

No conclusion, everyone was murdered and I can't wrap my head around who/what killed everyone.

Could've been one of the 9 (if we bring 'person number 9' into the equation) , with one faking their death. Highly unlikely for the ones who exploded.

Could've been Zero, if he wasn't one of the 9. Who is he then?

And I really don't get what all this talk of the experiments with those 16 (why 16?) children and Cradle Pharmaceutical is about.

There's probably a meaning behind it, but I don't understand it. Yet.

The number 9 is everywhere (well, of course, given the name of the game)

• The 9th guy who died first, who apparently wasn't even part of the nonary game - why was he even there?
  • The nonary game itself
  • Zero + the 8 'participants' = 9 (so, if the game really has 9 participants, which include Zero, then Zero shouldn't/can't be one of them, 'cause then there would only be 8 people playing the game)
  • Digital roots and their connections to numbers that are multiples of 9 (that hasn't been discussed at all in the game, I just read about it)
  • Lotus' daughters disappearing 9 years earlier only to come back 9 days later

There's probably more that I can't remember. Should've written all this shit down :D

I realized something just now: I don't think I've came across room 9. :o What the hell?

And all this talk about telepathy, controlling people...blah blah. No idea.

Maaaaaaaaaan, this is so goddamn intriguing. Now I'll definitely play the game again...

Damn you all for showing me this game. :p

@Magnus Did Ever 17 ever (ha) get a release over here?

YES! Told you it was worth it. By the sounds of it, you got the Sub ending? It was definitely the one that made me sit back and think 'holy shit, RUN JUNPEI RUN'. The plot is great and there are so many questions...my advice would be to just not trust anybody and get another ending or two before getting the 'true' ending, as the more endings and information you get in your early runs, the more of a mind-fuck the actual ending will be.

Can I suggest you use this flow chart? It shows what paths you have to take to get certain endings, including the true one, whilst remaining 100% spoiler free.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/62430

And yeah, In general Ace was just picking up on a very small detail regarding the 'this' ship comment, but how do you know you can trust him? ;)

No idea. That's my conclusion. I have no idea what is happening/has happened.

So much information, so many (possible) connections, so many new questions.

Ace, the CEO of Cradle Pharmaceutical, conducted and executed the nonary game 9 years ago. The same time 16 children went missing. Two of them were Lotus' children who came back 9 days later.

The tranquilizer gas (can't remember the name) was made by Cradle Pharmaceutical. Probably used by Zero (or someone else) to take the participants captive.

Seven can't distinguish between faces.

And maybe I didn't get it, but I think it hasn't been given away who the man was who got killed by Ace. The man in Snake's clothes. So who was he?

All this talk of telepathy. Thoughts being transferred via an 'outside medium'.

The fuck's going on?

my advice would be to just not trust anybody and get another ending or two before getting the 'true' ending, as the more endings and information you get in your early runs, the more of a mind-fuck the actual ending will be.

I'll get every ending before getting the 'true' ending. According to the guide I'm missing knife and axe.

Edited by drahkon

No idea. That's my conclusion. I have no idea what is happening/has happened.

So much information, so many (possible) connections, so many new questions.

Ace, the CEO of Cradle Pharmaceutical, conducted and executed the nonary game 9 years ago. The same time 16 children went missing. Two of them were Lotus' children who came back 9 days later.

The tranquilizer gas (can't remember the name) was made by Cradle Pharmaceutical. Probably used by Zero (or someone else) to take the participants captive.

Seven can't distinguish between faces.

And maybe I didn't get it, but I think it hasn't been given away who the man was who got killed by Ace. The man in Snake's clothes. So who was he?

All this talk of telepathy. Thoughts being transferred via an 'outside medium'.

The fuck's going on?

I'll get every ending before getting the 'true' ending. According to the guide I'm missing knife and axe.

Oh man, you're gonna love how this game continues to go on ;) Oh, and it's not Seven who cant recognise faces, it's Ace :)

Any idea who Zero may be? :)

Oh, and it's not Seven who cant recognise faces, it's Ace :)

You're right, got that mixed up ;)

Any idea who Zero may be? :)

Well, I guess I'm almost at the true ending.

Just escaped Zero's Laboratory.

I actually never believed Zero was one of the 8. With all the talk of telepathy and sometime earlier 'a higher power' was mentioned, I thought/still kinda think that there is actually some truth with that. Maybe Zero being 'a higher power'.

And then there's 'All-ice'/'Alice'...the 'frozen' Egyptian Priestess (probably).

But there's also this guy wearing a gas mask. So if he/she is Zero then he/she is actually a person and not some superior being, rendering my theory untrue.

At some point in the game I was thinking that I (the one who plays 999) was Zero :D No idea why, it just came into my mind.

Now a lot more information has been brought into the equation.

• Santa and June are siblings
  • June supposedly died 9 years ago at the first Nonary Game
  • the first Nonary Game was acutally a two part game (one in Nevada, one in the Gigantic) - so is this game also split?
  • Junpei found out the code for the coffin in which Snake was captured by an epiphany. Probably from one of the other 'playthroughs' making telepathy more of a theme.

Transmitter and receiver. I assume Zero is something/someone connected to that. Maybe also to this morphogenic field that has been talked about.

Well, actually, I have no clue. I tend to overcomplicate things and maybe I'm missing a simple clue.

I still think that Zero isn't really a person. Or maybe he (rather she) is 'Alice' but that would be too obvious.

Edit:

Before I finish the game:

Ace being Zero is also too obvious. And it would not make any sense because Zero is on a vendetta against Ace and the 3 other guys who initiated the first Nonary Game.

And I don't think Santa is Zero, even though he had quite the motive to take revenge - if June/Akane really died, provided she was the one 9 years ago.

Ok...will be back after the ending :p

Edited by drahkon

You're right, got that mixed up ;)

Well, I guess I'm almost at the true ending.

Just escaped Zero's Laboratory.

I actually never believed Zero was one of the 8. With all the talk of telepathy and sometime earlier 'a higher power' was mentioned, I thought/still kinda think that there is actually some truth with that. Maybe Zero being 'a higher power'.

And then there's 'All-ice'/'Alice'...the 'frozen' Egyptian Priestess (probably).

But there's also this guy wearing a gas mask. So if he/she is Zero then he/she is actually a person and not some superior being, rendering my theory untrue.

At some point in the game I was thinking that I (the one who plays 999) was Zero :D No idea why, it just came into my mind.

Now a lot more information has been brought into the equation.

• Santa and June are siblings
  • June supposedly died 9 years ago at the first Nonary Game
  • the first Nonary Game was acutally a two part game (one in Nevada, one in the Gigantic) - so is this game also split?
  • Junpei found out the code for the coffin in which Snake was captured by an epiphany. Probably from one of the other 'playthroughs' making telepathy more of a theme.

Transmitter and receiver. I assume Zero is something/someone connected to that. Maybe also to this morphogenic field that has been talked about.

Well, actually, I have no clue. I tend to overcomplicate things and maybe I'm missing a simple clue.

I still think that Zero isn't really a person. Or maybe he (rather she) is 'Alice' but that would be too obvious.

Edit:

Before I finish the game:

Ace being Zero is also too obvious. And it would not make any sense because Zero is on a vendetta against Ace and the 3 other guys who initiated the first Nonary Game.

And I don't think Santa is Zero, even though he had quite the motive to take revenge - if June/Akane really died, provided she was the one 9 years ago.

Ok...will be back after the ending :p

You're in for a great. I'm glad that you persevered and continue to play through the game :)

Well. I got played :D Amazing ending. Even though there seem to be a lot of unanswered questions:

1. Time Paradox? Did Akane really die? She, being Zero, set up the Nonary Game in 'her future' to save her. But according to several people (Seven, Snake, Aoi) Akane died. Why do they think she did?
    If we take Seven, it could be some kind of 'memory manipulation'. But what about the rest?
  2. What about June? Did she exist? Was she a projection put into the participants' minds?
  3. Was that really Lotus in the end? I can't get over 'Alice'. Seriously, there has to be something to her. Especially considering how vague the ending was. Why would the woman be Lotus? Where is Aoi?
  4. Junpei really did not know that Aoi (Santa) is Akane's brother? I mean, Junpei and Akane were very close, so she never mentioned a brother? Seems a bit weird.

Yeeeees, incredible story. There is a sequel. I'll buy it. I'll play it. Hope it will answer some questions, but I highly doubt it :D

Edited by drahkon

Well. I got played :D Amazing ending. Even though there seem to be a lot of unanswered questions:

1. Time Paradox? Did Akane really die? She, being Zero, set up the Nonary Game in 'her future' to save her. But according to several people (Seven, Snake, Aoi) Akane died. Why do they think she did?
    If we take Seven, it could be some kind of 'memory manipulation'. But what about the rest?
  2. What about June? Did she exist? Was she a projection put into the participants' minds?
  3. Was that really Lotus in the end? I can't get over 'Alice'. Seriously, there has to be something to her. Especially considering how vague the ending was. Why would the woman be Lotus? Where is Aoi?
  4. Junpei really did not know that Aoi (Santa) is Akane's brother? I mean, Junpei and Akane were very close, so she never mentioned a brother? Seems a bit weird.

Yeeeees, incredible story. There is a sequel. I'll buy it. I'll play it. Hope it will answer some questions, but I highly doubt it :D

1. Akane/June never died as a child. She was put in the incinerator where she accessed the morphic field and met a future Jumpei, who helped her solve the puzzle. She then spent the next 9 years making sure that the young Jumpei that she knew would be put in that situation so he could save her younger self. So yes, it is a closed time paradox, and this is why whenever you are heading towards a 'bad' ending, June/Akane suddenly gets ill', as Jumpei is not going to save her past self.

As for why they didnt recognise her, Aoi was in on the whole thing and help set the Nonary game up. Snake never saw June as a child, he was always blind and so we can assume that he didn't recognise her voice. Clover too was on a different ship so never June.

2. Just to clarify, Akane is June, who is alive but will die if Jumpei doesn't access the morphic field at the end :)

3. It was Alice that you saw at the end but it was more of a 'mind fuck' than anything. It's certainly not 'All-Ice/Alice'.

4. And yeah, you just have to assume that Jumpei and Aoi never met as kids.

What a game.

What a game.

The time paradox is the biggest mind fuck.

Let's say 'Akane' is the child and 'June' is the grown up Akane.

Akane has been put into the incinerator -> The danger situation.

Akane didn't die, as she entered the morphogenic field to contact 'older Junpei', so he could save her -> and he did.

Ergo, June lives -> is Zero -> puts together the second Nonary game in order to save herself.

But why did Seven - who was there in the past - say that Akane died? She didn't. Shouldn't Seven's memory be overwritten? He remembered her death. Was this some kind of manipulation? Are his memories false?

I think I'm missing something...

or I'm just too stupid :p

Looking very much forward Virtue's Last Reward :)

Edited by drahkon

The time paradox is the biggest mind fuck.

Let's say 'Akane' is the child and 'June' is the grown up Akane.

Akane has been put into the incinerator -> The danger situation.

Akane didn't die, as she entered the morphogenic field to contact 'older Junpei', so he could save her -> and he did.

Ergo, June lives -> is Zero -> puts together the second Nonary game in order to save herself.

But why did Seven - who was there in the past - say that Akane died? She didn't. Shouldn't Seven's memory be overwritten? He remembered her death. Was this some kind of manipulation? Are his memories false?

I think I'm missing something...

or I'm just too stupid :p

Looking very much forward Virtue's Last Reward :)

If you click on the 'answers' section on this site (bottom right), you'll get to see the writer explain some questions that the fans asked, and the Seven one is included.

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers)

And yeah, Virtues Last Reward...my mind is still hurting from that.

Sign in to follow this