NEurope
ReZourceman

Wimbledon 2009

I thought it sounded like a forced response from Murray when they asked him about the roof last night, seems he wasn't too keen...

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5406916,00.html

Murray's roof concern

Murray unhappy with playing conditions and officials under the roof

Andy Murray was not too enamoured with the playing conditions under the new centre court roof at Wimbledon, after coming through a five-set epic against Stanislas Wawrinka.

The world number three kept his title dreams alive after surviving a powerful onslaught from the Swiss to prevail 2-6 6-3 6-3 5-7 6-3 in their fourth round encounter.

The roof had been put to its first competitive use mid-afternoon when showers halted the previous match between Dinara Safin and Amelie Mauresmo, and it enabled the Murray match to continue well into the darkness - finally ending at 10.38pm.

Although the British number one was spurred on by the crowd atmosphere inside centre court, he was not too pleased with the way the situation was handled by Wimbledon officials.

"It's tough when you're warming up, getting ready for the match outside and it's dry and then get told you're playing under the roof," said Murray, who now plays Juan Carlos Ferrero in the quarter-finals.

"The decision should be made before that match (Safina's) is finished so they can let the players know in a decent amount of time what conditions they are going to be playing under.

"In very few sports would coaches and teams be particularly happy if they don't know exactly what time they're going to kick off or what the conditions are going to be like when they go out there.

"When you haven't experienced something before it is tough to know how it's going to play. There is quite a big difference."

Murray blamed the humid conditions, in particular, for his inability to find any rhythm on his serve.

"We were sweating so much. Both of us were trying to get white towels because your hands were drenched. When I finished it was like I had been in a bath.

"It slowed things down a lot and I struggled to serve because it wasn't coming off the strings that quickly.

"I like playing indoors but when you have not practised or ever played a match under a roof on grass you don't know what to expect. For two-and-a-half sets I played great tennis, it just took me a while to get used to it."

Murray was intending to enjoy a well-earned rest and have a massage and light practice session on Tuesday afternoon to try to recover from what was a gruelling encounter.

The Scot says that his experience could now be an advantage if he plays under the roof again, and he remains confident he can still triumph at Wimbledon.

"I know now I have to change my game if I play under the roof and I know the way the court plays," he added.

"I believe I can win Wimbledon. That's not changed since the first match. But I'm going to have to play great tennis to do it."

I can understand he would have liked to have been told he was definately going to be playing under the roof...

However, had it not been, his match would have been stopped probably around 9.00 because of the lack of visibility.

So really he should be counting himself lucky that he didn't have to come back and finish off today, as he night not have won, or it would have left him less time to recover.

I don't really understand it either, when they held the roof closing ceremony matches a month or so ago, everyone said it was fantastic!... sure it wasn't as hot outside the court as it was last night, but then the air temperature/conditions inside are regulated anyway and so it shouldn't make a difference.

Plus it was the same for both him and Wawrinka last night.

The women seemed to enjoy it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8125186.stm

Both agreed afterwards that they enjoyed the experience of playing under the roof.

"It was great to play under it," Safina told BBC Sport. "It was very nice and the atmosphere was getting louder. The conditions didn't feel any different and everything was perfect."

Mauresmo said: "It makes the conditions a little bit different and it took a little time to adjust to the ball flying more.

"Visually when the ball is in the air, overhead it's very bright but it's good and is a plus definitely for the tournament.

"We haven't seen any really bad days so far but I remember a few editions of Wimbledon when we would really have needed a roof so it's a good thing."

EDIT: Just saw a pre-match interview with Sabine Lisicki [who's playing Safina on centre court today], wow... what an overall lovely girl.

Edited by Retro_Link

Safina needs a good ragging because she always seems stressed and miserable.

^ agreed!

Also, how come the Williams sisters never seem to meet each other early on? It always seems to be the semi's or final!

Isn't it something to do with ranking? And personally I really want someone to beat Venus because she gets on my nerves when she plays and in interviews.

EDIT: Just saw a pre-match interview with Sabine Lisicki [who's playing Safina on centre court today], wow... what an overall lovely girl.

I saw that, too. She's got a good heart, that girl.

The Williams sisters...there's just something not natural about them. They're really, really bluddy good tennis players. I want to see how they'd do against some of the men in singles games.

They annoy me because they've got such a different physique to pretty much all the other female players [well there is Mauresmo] and it does give them a powerhouse advantage.

Sorry but womens tennis really is pretty boring...

Just watching the Serena v. Azarenko game and its just so slow and awkward looking.

And when Serena's game dropped slightly in the 2nd set the commentator says... 'well her standard of tennis was so good in the first it would be impossible to keep that up'... it's like... they've played ONE bloody set! the guys play to five, they should at least be able to hold a standard past one set!... AND that set took them almost an hour!

EDIT: Dementieva ftw!

She's one of the women I like, and she's also comes across as such a lovely person in her interviews! Anyone see her getting all shy in her interview yesterday when asked how she always managed to look so glamorous!

Edited by Retro_Link

I saw that, too. She's got a good heart, that girl.

The Williams sisters...there's just something not natural about them. They're really, really bluddy good tennis players. I want to see how they'd do against some of the men in singles games.

Serena would struggle big time against the blokes. She's got the power but she is so slow around the court. That's why players like Henin were able to beat her most times. Against most players she can boss them around with her power but that would count for nothing against the blokes.

I have to agree with the comments about Lisicki, she seemed to generally be having fun out there, always smiling after every point. Women's tennis has gotten to the point for me that I just can't enjoy it anymore. Watching Azarenka and Williams, I thought it was gonna cause me permanent hearing damage. There is no need for them to be making those ridiculous noises, it's ruining the game. We need more graceful players back like Henin, Clijsters and Graff.

Looking ahead to the real tennis tomorrow. Murray has to surely realize this is his best chance at winning Wimbledon. JCF is a good player but Murray beat him pretty comprehensively only 2 weeks ago and that has to still be fresh in the mind. If he gets through that he's got wither Roddick or Hewitt, whom he posses better records against both. Although that means nothing at the end of the day, they're all top class players who can beat anyone on their day.

Edited by Jon

Serena would struggle big time against the blokes. She's got the power but she is so slow around the court. That's why players like Henin were able to beat her most times. Against most players she can boss them around with her power but that would count for nothing against the blokes.

In the context of playing against men yes. However Serena is one of the best movers on the women's tour.

Interestingly, Serena and Venus played a set each against chain-smoking German player who was ranked in the 200's on the men's tour. They both lost something like 6-1 or 6-2.

Should be some good tennis tomorrow; I'm also looking forward to the Dementieva Serena semi. If Dementieva shows up mentally it should be a good match.

Safina needs a good ragging because she always seems stressed and miserable.

QFT.

She looks like the ugly girl at school that is best friends with the hot girl, and is basically a total bitch just for the sake of it.

Or at least, that was what I was thinking last night watching this with Mrs Iun.

Safina's probably just feeling under a lot of pressure to win, because being world number 1 yet having won no grand slams is a bit embaressing.

Hopefully she'll cheer up if she wins a title (though hopefully not this one as i'd like Dementieva to win).

But then again, maybe she does just look miserable.

If you took her face away from the equation (sp?) then Safina would be attractive. If she maybe let her hair down instead of having a man-cut and looking sweaty I think she could be a 'maybe'.

They annoy me because they've got such a different physique to pretty much all the other female players [well there is Mauresmo] and it does give them a powerhouse advantage.

Sorry but womens tennis really is pretty boring...

Just watching the Serena v. Azarenko game and its just so slow and awkward looking.

And when Serena's game dropped slightly in the 2nd set the commentator says... 'well her standard of tennis was so good in the first it would be impossible to keep that up'... it's like... they've played ONE bloody set! the guys play to five, they should at least be able to hold a standard past one set!... AND that set took them almost an hour!

EDIT: Dementieva ftw!

She's one of the women I like, and she's also comes across as such a lovely person in her interviews! Anyone see her getting all shy in her interview yesterday when asked how she always managed to look so glamorous!

They do have a different physique, but is that something that they personally can be blamed for? It would be similar to shouting at a player like Roger Federer for being too good or something, or too skillful. If the players have worked to allow themselves to have a big advantage over their opponent (whether its a good strong physique, good technical play, or pace) then they should be praised for that, I think. Questions should be asked of their opponents and why they can't match the same quality.

There will always be questions asked over the women's game, imo. There was the controversy over the amount of prize money they'd receive compared to men, and now there is still the issue over how many games/sets that they play. It would be interesting to see how the girls would cope over 5 sets. But, to be honest, I think it would just create a bigger gulf between the top few players and the rest.

Yes man, Dementieva is pretty awesome. She seems like a sweet girl.

She's slow compared to the men, but as stev2604 says, she is more than decent against the women. Really you can only match the opponents you play against. So, if she had the ability to play against men more often, I have no doubt that she would up her game.

Federer is about to close the game he's been making some crazy returns off Karlovic's powerful serve and Haas is 2 sets up against Djoker!

Haas has already beaten him in Halle on Grass just before Wimbledon he's been on fire this week and a half.

Edited by The-Ironflame

Man Federer's games are boring to watch!... don't think I've ever been able to watch one of his games the whole way through without changing match... thankfully the Djokovic v. Hass game is proving quite entertaining!

Is it just me or is Djokovic practically the wouldbe love child of Jake Gyllenhaal and Milo Ventimiglia (perhaps not the best comparison photo's)? have a watch...

jake_gyllenhaal.jpg + milo_ventimiglia_image__3_.jpg

=

novak_djokovic_sticks_out_tounge.jpg

They do have a different physique, but is that something that they personally can be blamed for? It would be similar to shouting at a player like Roger Federer for being too good or something, or too skillful. If the players have worked to allow themselves to have a big advantage over their opponent (whether its a good strong physique, good technical play, or pace) then they should be praised for that, I think. Questions should be asked of their opponents and why they can't match the same quality.
Physique was the wrong word. They are big girls, bigged boned... that's not something their opponents can do anything about.

There are plenty of strong girls out their in the womens game (just look at Henin in the past and compared to her size!), but when they have to face one of the Williams sisters, who lets face it, build wise would not look out of place in the mens game, on grass with the slower game... seems there's not much many of their opponents can do!

Thankfully others seem to get their chance on other surfaces.

Man Federer's games are boring to watch!... don't think I've ever been able to watch one of his games the whole way through without changing match... thankfully the Djokovic v. Hass game is proving quite entertaining!

Is it just me or is Djokovic practically the wouldbe love child of Jake Gyllenhaal and Milo Ventimiglia (perhaps not the best comparison photo's)? have a watch...

Physique was the wrong word. They are big girls, bigged boned... that's not something their opponents can do anything about.

There are plenty of strong girls out their in the womens game (just look at Henin in the past and compared to her size!), but when they have to face one of the Williams sisters, who lets face it, build wise would not look out of place in the mens game, on grass with the slower game... seems there's not much many of their opponents can do!

Thankfully others seem to get their chance on other surfaces.

Me and my Brother think Djokovic looks a lot like Tim Henman. At a glance, it really could be him, haha.

Federer is an awesome play, and the trouble is that he is perhaps just "too good". Sometimes his games aren't the best to watch because his opponents just never get a look in. As the commentator's said "I haven't seen Federer sweat." The only players who ever push Federer are the top, top players. Everything else is just foreplay, imo.

I know exactly what you mean about the Williams sisters. They are bigger girls, and they use that to their advantage massively. But then, everyone and anyone can be beaten. A lot of opponents fail mentally because they think these people can't be beaten, and so very few put these girls on the back foot. It's understandable, because these girls are good at what they do.

But, everyone has a weakness, so its up to their opponents to just find that and exploit it.

Did someone say Feds games are boring? I've not seen much of him at Wimbledon this year but I know he's far from boring. How can you get bored of watching a genius at work?? :heh:

Watching some Roddick v Hewitt at the minute. Watching these kind of guys (and Fed) makes you realise that when Murray plays them he just drags them down to his level and bores them into submission. :zzz:

Always had a soft spot for Haas. If he hadn't been dogged with injuries throughout his whole career then he would have been a top player I reckon.

OMG!! Hewitt and Roddicks 2nd Set, contender for 'Set of the tournament' so far!... What an awesome tie-break!!

And Hewitt levels the match!

COME ON!!!

Williams is slow not just against mean but women too. Look at any of her matches earlier in the year especially. If her opponents are knocking it into the corners, she struggles to chase it down. Funnily enough Azarenka beat her that way earlier in the year.

:cry: Can't watch!

Even if Hewitt does go out, thank god for him in the tournament! Once again he's been a total breath of fresh air for the sport.

EDIT: OMFG!! What a legend!!

"COME ON" Hewitt!!

Edited by Retro_Link

Williams is slow not just against mean but women too. Look at any of her matches earlier in the year especially. If her opponents are knocking it into the corners, she struggles to chase it down. Funnily enough Azarenka beat her that way earlier in the year.

Well, then that's one thing for her to work on maybe. Nevertheless, there's no denying how good she actually is.

That reply was a bit rushed, but I'm watching the Hewitt/Roddick game, and it's so exciting. Two brilliant players, two sets a piece, and one will be through to the semi final against Andy Murray.

I love Hewitt. Really have enjoyed his games this year. :)

COME ONN!!!!

Now THIS is tennis!!

Hewitt and Roddick are producing easily the best tennis of the tournament so far!! LOVE IT!!

EDIT: Roddick wins.... I'm GUTTED!!

Shame there had to be a loser, that had the quality of a final.

I like Roddick so it's a shame they had to face each other for me, but what a match!!

Sod the boring likes of Federer and Murray... Hewitt and Roddick just put the heart, passion and character back into tennis!... you won't see a better match all tournament!!

Edited by Retro_Link

Now THIS is tennis!!

Hewitt and Roddick are producing easily the best tennis of the tournament so far!! LOVE IT!!

EDIT: Roddick wins.... I'm GUTTED!!

Shame there had to be a loser, that had the quality of a final.

I like Roddick so it's a shame they had to face each other for me, but what a match!!

Sod the boring likes of Federer and Murray... Hewitt and Roddick just put the heart, passion and character back into tennis!... you won't see a better match all tournament!!

Sorry, but how is Murray boring? We all know he has the shots so it can't be that. If you're referring his court presents, you surely never saw his 4th round match. There hasn't been a player in the tournament that has tried harder in a match to get the crowd involved like Murray did.

I'm glad that Roddick won but kind of conflicted now. I'll always go for Murray but Roddick is my second favourite player so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he won.