NEurope
mcj metroid

Activision To Cancel Sony Support?

His reasoning for this? Kotick told The Times:

“I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation."

“They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates [the number of games each console owner buys] are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony. When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too.â€

what's the impression here?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/activision-“we-might-have-to-stop-supporting-sonyâ€

Can't see this thread taking off :D

news from the main site.. Funny a nintendo site reporting this news actually :D

news from the main site.. Funny a nintendo site reporting this news actually :D

I guess because the news of the Wii and Xbox selling better may indirectly refer to more games being developed for them? That's what I interpreted, although it's no guarantee.

I can't see Activision doing this. That's...a pretty big move, I think. Who knows.

I guess because the news of the Wii and Xbox selling better may indirectly refer to more games being developed for them? That's what I interpreted, although it's no guarantee.

I can't see Activision doing this. That's...a pretty big move, I think. Who knows.

it's been a while since I've heard a company made such a straight comment..

but they haven't been up to standard.. But the lack of EA support for dreamcast did it no favours..

Probably not going to happen. A few multi-platform titles might become 360 exclusives, but games like Guitar Hero and CoD/Modern Warfare, will probably stay put. I'm sure these at least are still profitable.

Sony "responded" a few hours later. They didn't mention the actual new but said that PS3 was gaining momentum after E3.

Personally, I'm divided between my hate for this Kotick man and the fanboy opposition to Sony. They probably lowered the royalties to Activision and went on as always, which pisses me because Kotick is a fucking terrorist.

Ahem - we discussed this in the Playstation thread already where I posted this:

kotick0525.jpg

Smug, delusional twat

And nobody laughed... Not really I did. It's probably just a 'threat' or Activision putting pressure on Sony to lower console prices. I don't think they ever would but why not hint it?

Although this is probably a bit more than a hint.

if sony did lose out on guitar hero and call of duty it would be a masssive blow to the playstation, everyone loves COD after all...

I guess its ok to post nonsense fanboy articles as topics. :indeed:

if sony did lose out on guitar hero and call of duty it would be a masssive blow to the playstation, everyone loves COD after all...

It would also be a bigger blow to Activision than Sony going by revenue and profits. Kotick is obviously upset that Sony dont need to cut the price. There is no rational reason to do so. So his response was simply emotive with no logic.

As neogaf point out. PS3 is already the no.1 earner for a couple of major publishers, especially due to cheap/practically free ports and worldwide sales as of late of PS3 are back to matching or exceeding 360. Even in the US their percentage share has risen against 360.

I guess its ok to post nonsense fanboy articles as topics. :indeed:

Why? Its the other consoles forum and it has been fairly moderate.

It would also be a bigger blow to Activision than Sony going by revenue and profits. Kotick is obviously upset that Sony dont need to cut the price. There is no rational reason to do so. So his response was simply emotive with no logic.

Logic being that if it was cheaper it would sell more therefore possibly more games sold. Other trains of thought would be to pressure Sony into a sweet deal or a conspiracy theory with MS behind it.

As neogaf point out. PS3 is already the no.1 earner for a couple of major publishers, especially due to cheap/practically free ports and worldwide sales as of late of PS3 are back to matching or exceeding 360. Even in the US their percentage share has risen against 360.

What publishers? And what to you mean by "practically free" ports?

Man I didn't realise you were capable of non BS posts Shino.

Why? Its the other consoles forum and it has been fairly moderate.

Yeah you are right, I guess we should post dumb fanboy anti Wii and 360 articles that appear day in and out.

Logic being that if it was cheaper it would sell more therefore possibly more games sold. Other trains of thought would be to pressure Sony into a sweet deal or a conspiracy theory with MS behind it.

Rather than delve into fanboy fantasies, Kotick simply wasnt making a factual or reasoned statement.

What publishers? And what to you mean by "practically free" ports?

Same reason you will Wii games being ported to PS3. Its really cheap to do making them alot less risky with greater return on investment.

Edited by Choze

The PS3 is hard and expensive to develop for no? Especially from Wii games.

The bluntness of this does seem a bit strange for a company like Activision.

Or maybe they are just Christian Bale p*ssed at their sales.

Man I didn't realise you were capable of non BS posts Shino.

That really means a lot coming from you. Thanks.

Yeah you are right, I guess we should post dumb fanboy anti Wii and 360 articles that appear day in and out.

Still have no idea what you're talking about.

Rather than delve into fanboy fantasies, Kotick simply wasnt making a factual or reasoned statement.

Kotick is a bastard but he isn't an idiot. If he did this there's some reason behind it, even if what he says isn't completely true. (and are you calling Kotick a fanboy?)

Same reason you will Wii games being ported to PS3. Its really cheap to do making them alot less risky with greater return on investment.

Wii games being ported to the PS3? Enlighten my ignorant self.

That really means a lot coming from you. Thanks.

Still have no idea what you're talking about.

Kotick is a bastard but he isn't an idiot. If he did this there's some reason behind it, even if what he says isn't completely true. (and are you calling Kotick a fanboy?)

Wii games being ported to the PS3? Enlighten my ignorant self.

I guess reading what you quote is not a skill of yours.

Choze you're rather defensive for some reason, this aint a fanboy made up article, it was an interview with the CEO of the largest 3rd party publisher in the world.

Now sure he's just blowing hot air, and Activision claiming Sony need to drop their console price when everyone knows that lower game prices would create bigger sales rather than lower console prices

To be honest, I couldn't care less...If they are stupid enough to just cast aside the potential sales of the 22 million PS3 owners then more fool them. The only Activision game I own is Guitar Hero and with Rock Band out there I could easily live without it...

Activision are quickly becoming the new EA. As in what EA used to be when they just churned out franchise after franchise and create more than one title in each franchise. EA now are a different beast and are creating new IP and innovating and concerntrating on making their core titles better.

And you wouldn't if they said this if they said this to Nintendo. Comment of the year I think.