NEurope

Engines can go for a lot longer than people realise. Especially if treated well. Usually it's rust that takes a car's life.

Will' im trying to work out what there doing with your car, are you basically getting a brand spankers new chassis? and then there going to move everything else from your car to the new chassis?

That's pretty much exactly what's happened. They have the chassis + any bits that can't really be transferred brand new from the factory, now they're dismantling my car before putting it back together on the new chassis. Then there will be a few repairs to the bodywork and I'm good to go! 100 hour job for them apparently.

On the American cars going on for ages, a big part of it is their climate is much kinder to cars so helps in their longevity.

On the American cars going on for ages' date=' a big part of it is their climate is much kinder to cars so helps in their longevity.[/quote']

Hence why the original beetles go on forever in Mexico.

That's pretty much exactly what's happened. They have the chassis + any bits that can't really be transferred brand new from the factory' date=' now they're dismantling my car before putting it back together on the new chassis. Then there will be a few repairs to the bodywork and I'm good to go! 100 hour job for them apparently.

On the American cars going on for ages, a big part of it is their climate is much kinder to cars so helps in their longevity.[/quote']

sounds like it would be easier/cheaper/quicker to just give you a new one :s

Ive heard while I was in oz, that generally due to the harsh winds and the salt from the sea in the UK, cars tend to phail alot quicker here then they do in oz, I imagine the US as well and other warmer climates.

On the American cars going on for ages' date=' a big part of it is their climate is much kinder to cars so helps in their longevity.[/quote']

For the greater part of the US maybe, but anywhere with a harsh winter often has plenty of rust buckets. Salted roads and all that.

It's rather funny, in the north cars are so rusted taking anything apart is generally a headache, go south where winter's are mild and nearly every bolt loosens smooth as silk...Well comparatively.

So... it may be new car time :D but also :( as I love my current car.

An unexpected opportunity came up at work and I may be moving to the US, obviously I'm going to want a car for such an adventure, so thought I'd see if anyone had any cool suggestions. With prices much lower than over here I should be able to own something rather nice. My current shortlist is:

Lotus Elise - it had to be, I love my current one.

Nissan 370z Nismo - look amazing, the old 350z drove well.

Ford Mustang - American and cool.

I reckon I need a good few more though, new or used - what do you guys suggest?

Stay away from the Mustang/Ford :p

I think you should get a big ol' honkin SUV...like a Hummer. You'd fit right in.

Nooooo, you gotta get the Mustang for the exact reasons you said! American and cool.

Here's my car. Pug 306 2.0 Diesel 180,000 on the clock hehe :yay:

30161_400835788724_502878724_4341275_7463117_n.jpg

Not weird at all, I always get excited when my car gets to a nice number of miles.

I randomly found a ford dealer today while walking round so went in and checked out the Mustangs, they're very very cool, I'll certainly test drive one and see how I like it in action.

I'm really looking forward to picking my car up now, I've missed it a lot.

What did you have done to it exactly?

Somebody changed lanes into him so it's had to be repaired.

What is with new cars and brakes? My dad bought a Ford Focus end of last year, and my mum bought a Hyundai i10 at the same time.

My dad had to get RAC out in the middle of the night to fix his car, because the brakes had locked up so much. We were all going into town this morning and my mums car does exactly the same. Thankfully this time it was just a matter of my dad giving it a bit of aggression to pull it out.

It just amazes me how shit cars are getting... If I paid a fortune for a brand new car I'd like to think I'd have it at least 5 years before it started causing problems :/

I was thinking that (given my car is nearly 10 years old) that I may get a new car in a few years time.. But I think I'm reconsidering and might stick with the car I have :s

What is with new cars and brakes? My dad bought a Ford Focus end of last year, and my mum bought a Hyundai i10 at the same time.

That right there could be the problem. Neither are particularly known for being quality.

Will, you should get one of these.

IMGP4840.jpg

Won't set you back too much.. :heh:

And as for me, I'll settle for an SLS AMG.

IMGP4818.jpg

"SLS AMG SOLD"...to me? Please? :(

I'd love the new Veyron, maybe one day... 2 cool pics though, I like them both a lot. Where were they taken?

I'm thinking about driving to the Paris motorshow later in the year, a good thing to do on a trip I've been meaning to make for a while now.

My Corsa and Heathers 206cc - I'm not proud of my Corsa, cost me £625 in a month to repair :angry:

carsa.jpg

Heather Driving a Lambourghini on Saturday (Birthday pressie from me :) )

lamboy.jpg

I've just re-wired a 40 year old stereo in my car. (I've taken out my stereo and re-wired the original.)

There's a big thing in the news this morning about how San Francisco has the highest "gas" prices in the US... They pay just over 1/3 of the price we do in the UK... I guess having a ridiculous car here isn't going to be so hard on the wallet.

On the veyron depreciation, I'm not too sure what availability is like, but I'd guess they will at least hold their current values pretty much.

Will, you should get one of these.

IMGP4840.jpg

Its...so beautiful...

and hey! theres a veyron there too.