NEurope
Hellfire

Nintendo preparing the media for E3

megaton it is... as sure as Ash is going to the workshed.

But yes.. that a loooooong time from now.. almost as far away as xmas

The E3 unveilling is okay for me but in general I think both Sony and Nintendo are too late. The 360 has now over a year to get a good customer base, announce new games and features for the console and also developers get more and more into the 360 hardware.

Resident Evil 4 looks brilliant but look how long it took Capcom to finally reach that level on GC hardware.

I am still curious about E3 and I am also buying a Revolution as soon as possible but from a global strategy it seems Nintendo made a mistake.

If they wait to reveal absolutely everything at E3, well it isn't going to work. They have to reveal things such as specs, game details, price, final name etc, beforehand otherwise how are people going to make a decision on what to purchase. Especially if they're aiming for a worldwide release in the same year, people need to save up.

Come off it Stockton, people say that kind of thing every year! (Well, not "2006 is going to be amazing" but you know what I mean). And we always end up with "E3 was crap!!, but TGS will make it all better!".

That's not going to happen this time though is it? By keeping quiet until E3 Nintendo are going to steal the show with ease. What are Sony and Microsoft going to do? Show more games, have them playable. Whoopdeedo. Yes, exciting seeing more of the games. But how much more exciting to have an entire system's previously unseen functionality up and running for the first time with REAL games using an outstanding new control method.

This is one of the best moves Nintendo has made since unveiling the controller at Tokyo Games Show. It's going to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together in one spectacular way. Games are already heavy into development for Revolution, by May they are going to be phenomenal and the new control method will be given the chance to prove itself.

If you want evidence that this strategy works, you must have missed the Revolution Controller unveiling. Speculation built to a boiling point and on unveilling the controller was featured on the front page of nearly every piece of every related website and magazine. XBox 360 just didn't garner that kind of attention because they let info trickle out until people knew all there was to know.

If they wait to reveal absolutely everything at E3, well it isn't going to work. They have to reveal things such as specs, game details, price, final name etc, beforehand otherwise how are people going to make a decision on what to purchase. Especially if they're aiming for a worldwide release in the same year, people need to save up.

I hate this perspective, it's so misguided. People don't make up their minds months and months before buying a product, they certainly don't decide on the stats. Consumers can change their mind at any point right up to the point of purchase - in fact, point of purchase is where most decisions are made.

By announcing at the start of May they're still going to have months before release anyway.

For us the E3 is important but surely not for the average casual gamer or consumer and I thought that is the market Nintendo also aims for. So if everything is revealed at E3 I am fine with it but where is the marketing campaign to explain the benefits of the Revolution to parents and others to help making a decision?

Even if Nintendo launches the day after E3 the casual gamers know next to nothing about the system. It would have been much better to do that early because either it takes a long time after E3 before we can buy the console or Nintendo doesn't need marketing.

For us the E3 is important but surely not for the average casual gamer or consumer and I thought that is the market Nintendo also aims for. So if everything is revealed at E3 I am fine with it but where is the marketing campaign to explain the benefits of the Revolution to parents and others to help making a decision?

Even if Nintendo launches the day after E3 the casual gamers know next to nothing about the system. It would have been much better to do that early because either it takes a long time after E3 before we can buy the console or Nintendo doesn't need marketing.

E3 is first and foremost a press event. The whole point is to inform the gaming and general press. While hardcore gamers are interested in the event itself it's the information that filters out through the press that matters and it's this that will get the message to casual gamers. The company that shouts the most will get the most press coverage and in 2006 it will clearly be Nintendo.

Also, to discuss getting info to casual gamers, lets take Nintendogs as an example. The majority of hardcore gamers didn't think this would succeed - well, it has! And not because screen shots were revealed a year beforehand. It succeeded because it appeals to non-gamers and was well advertised AFTER IT WAS RELEASED. The most important marketing is done at launch or after a release when the casual gamer - who isn't excited by these things and doesn't anticipate the release of a game in advance - can see it and play it for themselves.

And once again - E3 is at the start of May - Revolution won't be out before July at the very earliest giving at least 2 months for people to find out about the games. Remember they already know about the console!

This is one of the best moves Nintendo has made since unveiling the controller at Tokyo Games Show.

With all due respect, if they had fired the new controller into the crowd from Shiggsy's bottom the fanboys would have thought it the best thing ever.

I'm just saying, look at folks now, already getting hyped that E3 will save video gaming (just like it was supposed to last year). With all the hype that gets generated (partly down to all the games companies as well) it never stands a chance of living up to it.

That's not Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft's fault. "Fanboys" work themselves up based on rumours and not by the facts. E.g. Nintendo never said Revolution was going to be unveiled at E3 2005, everyone just ASSUMED it would = disappointment. This year Nintendo are planning well in advance, 5 months in advance. They have told us what's going to be there. There are no assumptions. That's the difference.

You're underselling the impact of the Revolution controller announcement. It took the entire industry by surprise and knocked them for six. It even made it onto Sky and BBC news in the UK.

Again though, let's not count chickens before they're hatched.

I'd imagine Segway scooters made it on to far more news stations than the Rev controller did. How many of them do you see on your way into town? They were going to change the world too. I've seen pics of George Bush falling off one and am pretty sure I saw a basketball player on MTV Cribs with one.

I'm underselling, but I'd argue you're overselling the controller and what it means just yet.

Until it's selling very well what difference does it really make how great it is?

I do hope it's fantastic, but lots of you have already decided it is based on not a lot if we're honest.

I hate this perspective, it's so misguided. People don't make up their minds months and months before buying a product, they certainly don't decide on the stats. Consumers can change their mind at any point right up to the point of purchase - in fact, point of purchase is where most decisions are made.

Well i'm going by the friends I know who i'd consider casual gamers. They're looking at buying Xbox360's as their one and only choice of console. They, like me, know hardly anything about the Revolution. Only one has actually seen the controller. I don't see them changing their mind and looking towards getting a Revolution if they have to wait until May just to find out basic info. Obviously for those hardcore gamers who are going to buy more than one console, releasing information at E3 isn't so bad. However we know of like, 2 games supposedly in development, that isn't enough to get my casual gamer mates excited and once their into one console it's very unlikely they'll buy another.

Again though, let's not count chickens before they're hatched.

I've seen pics of George Bush falling off one and am pretty sure I saw a basketball player on MTV Cribs with one.

The segway wasn't powered on, that's why he fell. You see, he's not very bright :laughing:

Correct me if I am wrong but Nintendo waited until E3 to unviel EVERYTHING about the DS and look at the impact, I say that we shouldn't worry, just let things be.

Yeah, but Nintendo revealed some stuff about DS in January, so they might do something similar this time.

"You're probably just starting to plan your time for 2006. With a mere 165 days to go (give or take), it's time to start thinking about next year's E3. Nintendo is most certainly thinking about it. So pencil us in. You'll hear all the incredible details about Nintendo's upcoming games and hardware, including our next home console, code-named Revolution. You won't want to miss it. See you there.

WHAT: Nintendo's E3 Media Briefing

WHEN: Briefing begins at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 9, 2006.

WHERE: Kodak Theatre (home of the Academy Awards), Hollywood & Highland Center, 6801 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028

WHY: You know why. "

Jesus, the Kodak theatre, that's like, fucking huge! Big plans Nintendo?