NEurope

never seen the day today daft? :heh:

Not for a good 10 years. :smile:

Birthday threads are way more annoying.

What kind of discussions do you expect from people on this board, DanDare?

Birthday threads are way more annoying.

What kind of discussions do you expect from people on this board, DanDare?

Something not current events-esque.

ideally: what would win in a fight between a dinosaur and a whale.

actually: NEWS.

why is everyone being so ridiculously obtuse about it? It says news in the title, I've said it's about news and I merged in a bunch of news threads. USE YOUR MIND POWARZ.

ideally: what would win in a fight between a dinosaur and a whale.

actually: NEWS.

why is everyone being so ridiculously obtuse about it? It says news in the title, I've said it's about news and I merged in a bunch of news threads. USE YOUR MIND POWARZ.

It's just another topic in a long line of condensed matter topics. Some work, such as the image gallery and rate the last film, as not much discussion flows. But for a topic such as this to contain all news?

You told me on msn that "I can't handle the thread", the thread won't be able to handle itself. It'll crush under its own weight, which I'm sure you'll be devastated over, because that means more time to talk about comics.

This should probably be sticked. Otherwise as soon as it ends up on the 2nd page people will probably just post news in new threads like they used to.

But I agree. Something like the tattoo thing sounds way to unimportant to have its own thread.

This confused me to hell!

Alter the first post and say what the hell you did!

Lol, me too. I read through the first page of a thread I had avoided before.

I think this kind of condensed thread usually don't have much meaning, and personally I don't go to the other unified threads like the movies one because I'm not interested in all movies and would prefer going to one that talked about a movie I'm interested in instead of skipping 20 posts to find something about it.

I guess we have to endure threads we dislike because one single one can't satisfy everyone's specific interests.

Except birthday threads. Fuck'em.

Dan - I think the main issue that people have really is the fact that you're censoring people out of your own personal feeling, and because you can.

If I were a Mod or Admin, for example, and I didn't like certain threads that you started, you would be equally as confused if I closed them stating that the discussions were pointless and I didn't like them.

Without discussion, the world would be dull. I can't speak for everyone here but I come here to read others' opinions on things, and to discuss things with them. I personally feel that this is one of the best things about these boards - the ability to have a proper discussion with someone without it dissolving into things like 'yo momma' and 'yeah well you're a dick so why don't you just go back to being a nazi' or whatever.

So I can understand where people are coming from when you close threads just because you don't like depressing stories, and I hope you can too. It's because they were provoking discussion which was cut short. I think that this thread is a good idea. I also think it should be stickied, or if it isn't and someone forgets it's there because it's gone onto the second page, and they post a new thread for a story, it should be transferred into this thread without a hassle and moved to the top of the first page. I also think that you should change the title, as a number of people have requested the change and I would respect a majority decision on something as frivolous as this to keep people happy :) Sadly, this is just my opinion and will probably be washed away in the storm of voices. Still, worth a try :)

Peace and love and all that jazz.

*wishes there was some kind of jazz emoticon available*

He's not locking them though. They're being consolidated in to one small monthly repayment.

Haha true indeed, I meant before, when they were being locked. They are now open for all, like a whore's legs. But free. So more like a slag.

I should stop.

Haha true indeed, I meant before, when they were being locked. They are now open for all, like a whore's legs. But free. So more like a slag.

I should stop.

:laughing::bowdown:

Yeah ok.. why don't we cut to the chase and merge all active threads into one, lock all old threads, and remove the ability to create new threads. then there will be only one thread, which surely will be much easier for the mods to moderate

Yeah ok.. why don't we cut to the chase and merge all active threads into one, lock all old threads, and remove the ability to create new threads. then there will be only one thread, which surely will be much easier for the mods to moderate

Sounds like a plan, when do we begin shaving our heads and wearing the same clothes?

I'm not sure whether I agree with this. I LIKE that this forum normally isn't too strict with the types of threads we can find. I don't just come here to discuss serious business, I come here to have fun and as well. Also, I agree with Shino that I might end up skipping these unified threads because of topics I'm not interested in, making me miss out on the topics I AM interested in.

I also agree with Nintendohnut on this being perhaps a little too personal a decision by Dan Dare.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

My take is this:

most of the 'news' threads that get posted are, basically, shit. Yesterday we had one about 18 complaints about a coke advert and one about some douche doing too many tatoos to a girl in Belgium. To me, the idea that a topic like that gets it's own thread is as ridiculous as every youtube video from the funny vids thread getting it's own topic.

so this thread! I want to see it used for trivial or daily news discussion. Think of it as a current affairs version of HWYD or the videos thread.

any genuine big news threads I'll definitely support. The Euro elections thread has been pretty decent, for example. That has genuine scope for it's own topic on a discussion forum. I think that's the key word because what generally passes for a news thread is just a C+P from the BBC news curio section. Not really any reason that should get it;s own thread.

Hope that clears things up.

If it is a disaster, I'll just lock it and go back to evaluating threads individually.

My take is this:

most of the 'news' threads that get posted are, basically, shit. Yesterday we had one about 18 complaints about a coke advert and one about some douche doing too many tatoos to a girl in Belgium. To me, the idea that a topic like that gets it's own thread is as ridiculous as every youtube video from the funny vids thread getting it's own topic.

so this thread! I want to see it used for trivial or daily news discussion. Think of it as a current affairs version of HWYD or the videos thread.

any genuine big news threads I'll definitely support. The Euro elections thread has been pretty decent, for example. That has genuine scope for it's own topic on a discussion forum. I think that's the key word because what generally passes for a news thread is just a C+P from the BBC news curio section. Not really any reason that should get it;s own thread.

Hope that clears things up.

If it is a disaster, I'll just lock it and go back to evaluating threads individually.

I think we perfectly understand your reasoning. We just don't all agree with it. But hey, I'm not too fussed by it all. Live and let live and all that. Yeah.

one about some douche doing too many tatoos to a girl in Belgium. To me, the idea that a topic like that gets it's own thread is as ridiculous as every youtube video from the funny vids thread getting it's own topic.

Except that I added an element of discussion, so you wouldn't pull this bullshit.

This baffles me, it really does. I don't know the language, so do these two numbers sound similar?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090617/twl-tattoo-girl-wakes-to-see-stars-41f21e0.html

Plus... that tattooist... fucking hell.

Anyone having plans on getting tattoos? Stay awake if you can.

That last bit again.

Anyone having plans on getting tattoos?

I was hoping for a nice discussion, but no, you couldn't be bothered with the extra work.

This thread is now nearly as stupid as people complaining that duffy didnt have lights on her bike. Stupid

Except that I added an element of discussion, so you wouldn't pull this bullshit.

That last bit again.

I was hoping for a nice discussion, but no, you couldn't be bothered with the extra work.

there's a tats thread already.

Well theres plenty of games threads already why not just have one games thread?

Seriously though there are still threads on the first page that havent been posted in since the 15th. its not exactly toppers.

This is some of the worst moderation i have ever seen. FACT!

My take is this:

Oh my god, would you get the hell over yourself? I'm fed up of you taking it upon yourself to decide what is entertaining to discuss and whether it should be allowed to be discussed or not. If someone really is to decide this, it definitely shouldn't be you. Furthermore, it's detracting from the spirit of the forums, where I've always felt the moderators were quite liberal in terms of allowing us to express ourselves (but within set rules). Not any more, it'd seem.

But seriously, what the hell happened? You used to be someone who I genuinely found interesting to hold a conversation with. You've just become somewhat of a grouchy old man who thinks any topic that isn't devastatingly important to our well-being is a waste of time.