NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VIII: Remembering the Orphan

FFVIII has my favourite story of all the Final Fantasys.

If anything, that'll just confirm it doesn't make sense.

Final Fantasy VIII's story is one of the worst in the series. The game itself is alright but the narrative/characters/pacing/romance are, for most part, rubbish.

Yes yes yes yes all over my face, finally a post that truly understands that FFVIII is a game not for the story, but for the gameplay. Heck I know a lot of fans of FFVIII who think the story in the game truly sucks, but they still have it as their favorite game of the FF series...why? Because of how they can do shit like get through the game on the same level as they did from the start, go through the game without using GF, without using magic, without using weapons etc etc...Which truly I don't mind at all, they are obviously playing FFVIII for the right reasons, and telling me that they know that the story is a complete joke and a plot hole ahoy gives me relief.

I wish S-E would take a step backwards during game development every now and then and ask themselves; 'does this plot actually make any goddamn sense?'

Who knows, to me, the Square side of the company seem to be run by monkeys now, who have no idea how to write a good story.

I have no idea why you're posting that. His argument is that he didn't understand it / it doesn't make sense (his exact words were 'convoluted beyond understanding'), not that it was poorly written (although given the chance, I'm sure he'd have a nice argue about that too). It does make sense. I know some people don't like it (I'm clearly not one of them, among many other since it's often regarded as hit or miss), but it makes sense.

I love it how you think the moment someone says 'Teh story sucks!!!' you instantly use the 'You just don't understand it durr' defense and that quote McMad put up, the man obviously knows what he is talking about. Isn't it about Squall growing? Isn't it about him being a man who doesn't care to someone who cares? A personal adventure you could say the whole game was about. It was all about Rinoa being the key to making Squall become more of a man who understands the meaning of love and friendship?

Shit, you kept talking about Squall this and Squall that through all arguments, and people get it, yet even then we still say the 'story itself is flawed' Squall isn't flawed, as a matter of fact he is what the writers focused more on then anything else, only halfway through development did they realize they had to make a world and a story for him to be in was what made it such a fucking mess.

Seriously, if they spent like another half a year just working on the story/world around Squall and Rinoa, it could have been something truly awesome.

I love it how you think the moment someone says 'Teh story sucks!!!' you instantly use the 'You just don't understand it durr' defense and that quote McMad put up, the man obviously knows what he is talking about.

No, please don't (as usual) be an utter fuckwit. He actually said that it was "convoluted beyond understanding". His words, not mine. Wipe the egg off, now.

FFVIII has my favourite story of all the Final Fantasys.

Side note: Should that be Fantasies or not because it's the name of the game?

I read through all of it this morning, quite comical. Rinoa shall forever be....Worf. It's oddly fitting.