NEurope

Sorry, but Defoe would have broken the net with that first oppurtunity by Heskey, and probably scored the second.

Lennon's having a stormer, carrying on his club form on the international stage. Just don't get yourself injured lad.

But Defoe equally messed up a chance in the second half. It's swings and roundabouts, Heskey brings a dimension to the team that no one else does (I rate him highly). Before you whinge this isn't some anti-Tottenham campaign either, I think Defoe is good (in an England shirt :heh:).

It's good to have a player like Defoe who is fighting his way into the side, eager, quality subs can only benefit a team in the world cup.

But Defoe equally messed up a chance in the second half. It's swings and roundabouts, Heskey brings a dimension to the team that no one else does (I rate him highly). Before you whinge this isn't some anti-Tottenham campaign either, I think Defoe is good (in an England shirt :heh:).

It's good to have a player like Defoe who is fighting his way into the side, eager, quality subs can only benefit a team in the world cup.

Hardly a chance like Heskeys' to be fair.

Lennon had a stormer tonight. Lampard and Gerrard both played briliantly as well. Thought Rooney was a bit off tonight - spose he is human.

Hardly a chance like Heskeys' to be fair.

Lennon had a stormer tonight. Lampard and Gerrard both played briliantly as well. Thought Rooney was a bit off tonight - spose he is human.

True on all accounts, still expected Defoe to control that ball. :awesome:

Best thing about England at the minute is we're a team, not 11 individuals trying to be Mr Big Balls.

After not qualifying for Euro 2008, this was the perfect thing for the team to do: Qualify as early as possible. It was good to be drawn with Croatia again, so some revenge is got.

Well done, lads. :smile:

Pretty gutted really, for once we actually matched a top nation. Kenny Miller missed two great chances and we had some others too. Shame it had to come down to one cruel mistake for Davie Weir, who actually played well in the game.

The wait to reach a major championship continues :(

I just checked the Scotland result. Disappointed a bit now. Really would like to see Scotland at the World Cup again.

That was a pretty nifty England performance. As Ramar says, it just all seemed very together. I think the players actually enjoy playing for England under Capello, whereas before they often seemed a bit intimidated by the shirt. I guess with it comes expectation.

As for Heskey, I did have my head in my hands when he missed those opportunities, but overall I think he did his job well. He really needs to work on his finishing, though. I also can't remember the last time a player actually played better for England than they did their club.

Lennon probably had one of his best games playing for England. Looked a threat all night and the Croatians couldn't handle him. If he plays like this more often, he'll cement his place in that line-up.

On another note, another pretty disappointing night for Wales, losing 3-1 to Russia. To be honest, we haven't looked half decent since Mark Hughes was in charge. Even then, they weren't World Beaters, but I think better football was played, and there was more cohesion throughout the squad.

The problem is there's just no quality. It seems like a struggle to find players for every position, which means the team just has to make do. You compare the Wales and Scottish line-ups to the England team. The England sub's bench is probably better than the Wales (and maybe the Scottish) first team.

I thought Hesky made Emile of that tonight. Dunno what you saw in his performance today Flink, I thought he was pretty poor. Nonchelantly floating offside, apparent lack of work and just not being that effective at what he should be excelling at.

I thought Hesky made Emile of that tonight. Dunno what you saw in his performance today Flink, I thought he was pretty poor. Nonchelantly floating offside, apparent lack of work and just not being that effective at what he should be excelling at.

What game were you watching, across the attacking line he was everywhere, running and closing down, winning headers, holding up the ball. There was a quality little flick he did in the first half..

Seriously, Rooney did less last night.

Edited by Ramar

Hummm, a couple of years ago I was having a debate with myself regarding the situation with English wingers. However, now we seem to have them in abundance. Does anyone else see some selection headaches arising when all the likes of J. Cole, Beckham, Lennon, Young, Milner, Walcott all want to play. I know it is only good for English football but alas.

There are two concerns that I have with him.

- Like you said, he kept floating offside and needs to make more of an effort to come back onside.

- His finishing wasn't that great with his two chances. But, is that down to confidence or ability?

I have to agree with Ramar, Heskey did a lot of work last night for the frontline. I lost count on the number of times he closed down defenders or the goalkeeper. He also tracked back to midfield and won a few balls there, which then led to an England attack.

You can't doubt his work-rate, imo. The only thing he is not doing is putting the ball in the net.

Also, like Ramar says, Rooney was a bit off-colour. Although, saying that, he set up one goal (Gerrard's second, with that lovely lobcross into the box) and scored the fifth (although, it came gift-wrapped). So, for someone not having a great game, he still didn't do too badly. I think his movement was still pretty good throughout.

The midfield were seriously impressive though, particularly in that first half. They won everything, kept possession well, and built up their attacks. It was a mature performance.

Fresh: Like you say, there's a lot of wingers and players on offer for the team. It's just a shame for countries like Wales where we just don't have the players coming through. It's a big problem, in my opinion, and I don't think we'll reach a World Cup for quite some time with what's on offer. Compare the team that played last night to the Russians, who boasted Arshavin, Pavlyuchenko, Semshov, etc. There's a struggle to build a team there, nevermind one which can actually challenge or compete with the bigger nations.

Also, Arshain is injured for the game against City. Damn, I wanted him to destroy them. :heh:

Yep Arshavin is out for the city game as well as the standard liege and wigan games. Dunno why on earth he played last night when he was carrying an injury and now he's just messed himself up even more.

Not to worry thought as City are without Tevez and Robinho. And hopefully Walcott and Rosicky will be named in the squad.

Yep Arshavin is out for the city game as well as the standard liege and wigan games. Dunno why on earth he played last night when he was carrying an injury and now he's just messed himself up even more.

Not to worry thought as City are without Tevez and Robinho. And hopefully Walcott and Rosicky will be named in the squad.

Hmm, that's a bit of a blow for Arsenal, I think. No doubt they'll march on, but he's such an influential player for you.

I think we should start doing a prediction for upcoming games. I was going to post my prediction on the internationals.

England 2 - 1 Croatia

Wales 0 - 2 Russia

Scotland 1 - 2 Netherlands

They were my predictions. I was a bit out with that England scoreline, and the rest it was only really a goal here or there...heh.

I'm a tad bit worried about the game versus Spurs. It's going to be a juicy game. I've got a feeling we'll see something special this weekend.

6-2? 6-2? :(

Well done to the ladies for getting to the final but to lose to the old enemy 6-2 is heartbreaking. But mind you most of the Germans did look like men. Ho hum

I'm a tad bit worried about the game versus Spurs. It's going to be a juicy game. I've got a feeling we'll see something special this weekend.

It's always a good game, especially at White Hart Lane. Provided we play Park on the left we should be OK. Last time Lennon ran all over Evra, hopefully with a more defensive winger we shouldn't have this problem.

6-2? 6-2? :(

Well done to the ladies for getting to the final but to lose to the old enemy 6-2 is heartbreaking. But mind you most of the Germans did look like men. Ho hum

Your Facebook status says hi. :heh:

A flattering score-line. I watched the game and thought the ladies played fairly ok for most of the game. The Germans were just ruthless infront of goal. Always looked like they were going to score.

It's always a good game, especially at White Hart Lane. Provided we play Park on the left we should be OK. Last time Lennon ran all over Evra, hopefully with a more defensive winger we shouldn't have this problem.

Lennon over-ran Evra in the Carling Cup Final, and Evra didn't look like he ever fully recovered from that for the rest of the reason, imo. He definitely needs some more cover, which I don't think he had a great deal much of when Ronaldo was here. But, Nani has done a lot better this year tracking back, and I think that's one area of Valencia's game where we won't have to worry too much about.

Saying that, Tottenham are a very dangerous team. Looking at their squad, the likes of Cudicini, Lennon, Modric, Defoe, Crouch, Kranjcar, Keane, Assou-Ekotto, these are all very good players. Actually, looking at their squad-list, I'd say that Tottenham should at least be looking at the 5/6th position mark with what they have, and if everything goes to plan with the way of results, they might be a cheeky bet for fourth place.

It's going to be a great game, but these sorts of games make me extra nervous. They've made a great start to this season, so you know they'll be in good spirits.

Hehe, that is pretty sweet. Did you see that bottom picture of the caravan? It's better than a lot of living rooms I've seen. :heh:

My weekend predictions:

Saturday

Blackburn 2 - 1 Wolverhampton

Liverpool 3 - 0 Burnley

Man City 1 - 2 Arsenal

Portsmouth 0 - 0 Bolton

Stoke 0 - 2 Chelsea

Sunderland 2 - 1 Hull

Tottenham 1 - 2 Man Utd

Wigan 1 - 1 West Ham

Sunday

Birmingham 1 - 3 Aston Villa

Fulham 2 - 2 Everton

Weekend Predictions

Saturday

Blackburn 2 - 3 Wolverhampton

Liverpool 6 - 1 Burnley

Man City 2 - 0 Arsenal

Portsmouth 2 - 0 Bolton

Stoke 2 - 2 Chelsea

Sunderland 4 - 3 Hull

Tottenham 1 - 0 Man Utd

Wigan 0 - 0 West Ham

Sunday

Birmingham 0 - 1 Aston Villa

Fulham 0 - 3 Everton

I'm off to Florida tomorrow, the next two weeks are going to be hell. As soon as I land I'm going to be on the phone trying to find the scores.

Can't believe Arshavin went and worsened his injury, completely ruins singing the song in my sig.

I'm off to Florida tomorrow, the next two weeks are going to be hell. As soon as I land I'm going to be on the phone trying to find the scores.

Can't believe Arshavin went and worsened his injury, completely ruins singing the song in my sig.

It's hard being away from football. When I went to see the female last in Belgium, we spent the evening watching football on Match of the Day! That's dedication, haha. The next day, I was watching the United game with her next to me playing a game. So, that's two days worth of football, after not seeing each other for months. That's love right there! I don't think I could physically last a week or a month without some kind of football. Thank God for pre-season and classic matches on telly.

Have a good time, dude. :)

Ooo predictions we should do this every week:

Saturday

Blackburn 2 - 1 Wolves

Liverpool 3 - 0 Burnley

Man City 1 - 1 Arsenal

Portsmouth 0 - 0 Bolton

Stoke 0 - 2 Chelsea

Sunderland 2 - 0 Hull

Tottenham 1 - 2 Man Utd

Wigan 1 - 1 West Ham

Sunday

Birmingham 1 - 2 Aston Villa

Fulham 1 - 1 Everton

Ooo predictions we should do this every week

I like this idea :heh: ..we could maybe start doing it from next weekend and maybe keep a wee league table of scores for each person to record who predicts the best each week!

It could be something like..

1 Point for correct Result

3 Points for a correct Result and Scoreline

I'll use a previous result as an example (if I wasn't quite clear enough :heh:)

Bolton 2 - 3 Liverpool

If I predicted Bolton 2 - 3 Liverpool, I would get 3 points :hehe:

If I predicted Bolton 0 - 2 Liverpool, I would get 1 point :smile:

If I predicted Bolton 1 - 1 Liverpool or Bolton 1 - 0 Liverpool, I would get 0 points :sad:

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Hehe, that is pretty sweet. Did you see that bottom picture of the caravan? It's better than a lot of living rooms I've seen. :heh:

Yeah, gotta love Rio. Not many footballers are as humble as him.

Now predictions.

Saturday

Blackburn 2 - 0 Wolverhampton

Liverpool 4 - 0 Burnley

Man City 2 - 0 Arsenal

Portsmouth 1 - 0 Bolton

Stoke 1 - 3 Chelsea

Sunderland 0 - 1 Hull

Tottenham 1 - 2 Man Utd

Wigan 0 - 0 West Ham

Sunday

Birmingham 1 - 3 Aston Villa

Fulham 2 - 3 Everton

While I hate predicting united I see Rooney and Fletcher getting the goals, Liverpool will start to show their strength. The Man City v Arsenal is a difficult one, I don't see it being even either City will walk it or the gunners will humble City. Fulham v Everton could be a decent game and the Birmingham derby I think will go to Villa.