NEurope

So the England Ladies are through to the final of Euro 2009.

2-1 after extra time. Go on girls!

_46332009_007904324-1.jpg

So the England Ladies are through to the final of Euro 2009.

2-1 after extra time. Go on girls!

_46332009_007904324-1.jpg

World leaders in Cricket and the Final of the Euros; women's sport looks strong.

Defoe should start against Croatia for sure. I really don't get Heskey at all; we should start with a striker that can actually score goals a decent percentage of the games they start - you don't win games by holding up the ball. Carlton Cole should start ahead of Heskey as well - he can hold the ball up just as well and actually displays the capacity to take on defenders and make chances out of seemingly nothing - as displayed against Slovenia.

I don't really understand your point Fierce_Link about leaving Defoe on the bench as a sub . The Plan B in that situation, for me, would be to bring on Crouch to mix it up a bit and unsettle the defenders. If you're saying we have no plan B with Defoe starting, that's showing a lack of faith in Heskey anyway - achknowledging his subordinacy, and raising the question why would you not start with your two best strikers. If you see what I mean?

You know, I did overlook Crouch there. For me anyway, I think Defoe has done very well so far by coming on in the second half, and injecting some pace into the game against an already tired defence. Do Crouch and Heskey have the same pace or similar to what Defoe has, I'm not so sure that they do?

I don't think it's showing a lack of faith in Heskey, but really a lot of his game for England relies around him holding the ball up for Rooney. It depends how you want to play, really. But, so far, Heskey's job has been to cause a nuisance to defenders, hold up the ball to bring Rooney, Gerrard and others into play. Defoe has that goalthreat, which is why a lot of people are pushing for him to start against Croatia ahead of Rooney.

At the moment, what has happened in previous games (such as the game against the Netherlands) is that as soon as the game looks to be in a spot of bother, Heskey is taken off for Defoe. It's been working, and Defoe has been on a fine scoring run for England, particularly when he's been coming off the bench. That's a very positive thing to have, and it is very important to have players in your team and on the bench who can change games. You'll know a lot more about Defoe and Crouch and the form that they're in for club because you're a Spurs supporter. In my opinion, it's not always best to go out with your best individual 11 players, you pick the best team that you think can do the job effectively. Sometimes you do need to have those special players that come into the game on the hour mark, such as players like Aaron Lennon, or James Milner. They give you different options and opportunities. Much like what we had with Ole Gunner Solksjaer.

I would like to see Defoe start more games for England, as I do like the guy. But, I would also like to see what would happen if the Defoe-Rooney partnership wasn't working after, say, the first half of a game. It'd be very interesting to see.

You know, I did overlook Crouch there. For me anyway, I think Defoe has done very well so far by coming on in the second half, and injecting some pace into the game against an already tired defence. Do Crouch and Heskey have the same pace or similar to what Defoe has, I'm not so sure that they do?

I don't think it's showing a lack of faith in Heskey, but really a lot of his game for England relies around him holding the ball up for Rooney. It depends how you want to play, really. But, so far, Heskey's job has been to cause a nuisance to defenders, hold up the ball to bring Rooney, Gerrard and others into play. Defoe has that goalthreat, which is why a lot of people are pushing for him to start against Croatia ahead of Rooney.

At the moment, what has happened in previous games (such as the game against the Netherlands) is that as soon as the game looks to be in a spot of bother, Heskey is taken off for Defoe. It's been working, and Defoe has been on a fine scoring run for England, particularly when he's been coming off the bench. That's a very positive thing to have, and it is very important to have players in your team and on the bench who can change games. You'll know a lot more about Defoe and Crouch and the form that they're in for club because you're a Spurs supporter. In my opinion, it's not always best to go out with your best individual 11 players, you pick the best team that you think can do the job effectively. Sometimes you do need to have those special players that come into the game on the hour mark, such as players like Aaron Lennon, or James Milner. They give you different options and opportunities. Much like what we had with Ole Gunner Solksjaer.

I would like to see Defoe start more games for England, as I do like the guy. But, I would also like to see what would happen if the Defoe-Rooney partnership wasn't working after, say, the first half of a game. It'd be very interesting to see.

Thing is, the way we play at Tottenham at the moment - feet to feet, with two small strikers - really suits Defoe's game and makes Rooney quite a viable partner I think. I'm not really a big fan of Heskey, as i'd prefer to have two strikers that carry a serious goal threat, at International level I thnk it's necessary.

You make a good point about the impact subs. Even in that situation, I'd suggest that Carlton Cole should start ahead of Heskey. I think he's in better form and is becoming a more well-rounded player. Maybe i'm being too harsh on the guy but I just can't look past his (Heskey) lack of goals. Particularly when you look at the potency of the strike-forces of other nations.

Thing is, the way we play at Tottenham at the moment - feet to feet, with two small strikers - really suits Defoe's game and makes Rooney quite a viable partner I think. I'm not really a big fan of Heskey, as i'd prefer to have two strikers that carry a serious goal threat, at International level I thnk it's necessary.

You make a good point about the impact subs. Even in that situation, I'd suggest that Carlton Cole should start ahead of Heskey. I think he's in better form and is becoming a more well-rounded player. Maybe i'm being too harsh on the guy but I just can't look past his (Heskey) lack of goals. Particularly when you look at the potency of the strike-forces of other nations.

Also when you consider he is doing nothing at Villa but bench warming. Capello has someone in the same mould (Cole), who is in much better form.

It really is down to how you want to play. With both Defoe and Rooney up front, and playing in the same way that Tottenham play, then I think both could really have a great time being a menace to the opposition's defence. I think I always prefer a more "traditional" style of 2 attackers up front, wingers supplying balls to the strikers, and two in central midfield (one attacking and one holding). Heskey is almost like another midfielder, but playing further up the pitch.

A lot of people are starting to take more of a notice of Carlton Cole, and he does offer something a bit different to both Defoe and Rooney, and even Heskey or Crouch. There are quite a few attacking options, so that's good for variation. What I do like about Heskey is that he brings others into play, so although he may have a terrifying goal-scoring record, it allows others to do their stuff, players such as Gerrard or Lampard who can them come into the game from midfield. Would that still be done with Carlton Cole or Defoe upfront? I think we'll only see that in games.

Ideally, what would be best would be an amalgamation of Heskey, Crouch and Defoe, haha. The ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play (Heskey), the goal-scoring record and height of Crouch, and the pace and finish of Defoe. That would be quite some player.

Carlton Cole is pretty good at holding the ball up and was on fire at the end of last season, and stupid backpass against spur aisde has continued it this. Whereas Heskey has looked pretty crap since he went to Villa, the fact he doesnt score mutch doesnt really matter though. He's good at holding the ball up and with Gerrard and Lampard in the midfield there should never be a shortage of players looking to attack.

Capello doesnt look to be the kind of manager to just throw a player in at the deep end though. And at the kind of level its the right attitude, I think Cole can at best hope to be a sub until after the world cup really, same with Defoe. After the world cup I would expect a few of the older players to retire from internationals and then will be the chance to progress the squad players into the first 11.

Carlton Cole is pretty good at holding the ball up and was on fire at the end of last season, and stupid backpass against spur aisde has continued it this. Whereas Heskey has looked pretty crap since he went to Villa, the fact he doesnt score mutch doesnt really matter though. He's good at holding the ball up and with Gerrard and Lampard in the midfield there should never be a shortage of players looking to attack.

Capello doesnt look to be the kind of manager to just throw a player in at the deep end though. And at the kind of level its the right attitude, I think Cole can at best hope to be a sub until after the world cup really, same with Defoe. After the world cup I would expect a few of the older players to retire from internationals and then will be the chance to progress the squad players into the first 11.

Cole does look promising, but as you say, it's a bit too early for him, I feel. But, the only way that players will get better is through experience, so Capello will probably use him as a sub, or in friendlies. It was a bit of a shame he didn't come on in that friendly a bit earlier.

To be honest, the only striker who is guaranteed a starting place is Wayne Rooney. The big question seems to be who can partner him up-front. What I think is keeping Heskey in the starting line-up is that he has formed quite a nice little partnership there. Defoe has played a few second halves with him, Carlton Cole has had very few opportunities, and Crouch has played here and there. So, there's really four players going for the same spot. That's a lot of competition.

I love how international breaks kill this topic. Anyone manage the whole 90 minutes for the England match? I fell asleep at half time, working the night before didn't help, but it was boring.

mate internationals are just too boring. there was no way in hell i was gonna watch that england friendly.

however i might try and catch the england croatia game......decent opposition. Come on Eduardo! lol.

I always try to catch England games, just friendlies are awful, even when the opponents are a decent side there appears to be little effort.

Tomorrow's game should be good, considering we destroyed them earlier in the campaign.

World leaders in Cricket and the Final of the Euros; women's sport looks strong.

Women's football might be OK if the goalkeepers weren't absolutely abysmal without exception.

Women's football might be OK if the goalkeepers weren't absolutely abysmal without exception.

The Arsenal Ladies keeper is stunning, unlike her goalkeeping abilities which are mediocre (when compared to the mens game).

gun1249987174playerbyrn.jpg

[insert innuendo about balls here]

Wow, she is pretty hot. :)

I watched the women's game between Germany and Norway yesterday. One thing I've always been a bit put off by in the women's game is the pace of the game, but I think it's improving all the time. The technical ability of the players just seems to be getting better and better as well, and I found the game very enjoyable to watch.

It was also quite an aggressive game, but in the best possible way. Not aggressive in the sense of hacking down players, but aggressive as in players were closed down quickly, hassled on the ball, and some great tackles and interceptions were made. It wasn't a stop start game at all. Infact, I was very surprised at that. :)

Yeah the pace of the ladies game is so slow sometimes its unreal. Some of the players do have some good skill, Kelly Smith is actually pretty good. I think in general though the standard of goalkeepers is poor.

Also the hottest ladies England player for me is Rachel Unitt, the little left back.

unitt.jpg

rachel-unitt.jpg

Edited by Platty

I've always noticed how bad goalkeepers of the female variety are. You'd think they'd make naturals but every one of them i an amateur (in more ways than one).

But they kind of make it fun to watch so go them.

I think it's down to hand eye coordination...

As males we have a lot of practice with this whilst holding the old boy when taking a leak and have thus become hand eye coordination masters. Women just fail at this.

Test it when throwing a ball of any size. Men know how to catch that bad boy, women simply shut their eyes and put their hands in the air :p

Edited by Platty

Hmm, you could be onto something there.

I think there are about 3 or 4 qualities that you need from a goalkeeper. These would be:

• Agility

You want your goalkeeper to be quite nimble and quick on their feet. Somebody who can reach that bottom corner, then be back on their feet quickly, alert to any danger.

• Height

If you notice one thing about the goalkeepers for pretty much all times in the Premier League, you'll notice that they are quite big lads. If you're taller, it just makes it easier when you're coming for crosses, or for reaching that bottom corner, or when it comes to closing down the opposition.

• Reflexes/Split Decision Making

Keepers need to be quick. A sluggish goalkeeper is a useless one. Think about how fast players like Cristiano Ronaldo can strike the ball, that's something you always need to be alert to. Ben Foster made a terrific save with his feet the other day against Arsenal. Also, with crosses, you need to decide in your head whether you are coming for the ball, or whether you are going to stay put. Otherwise, you get caught in no man's land.

How tall are female goalkeepers? How agile are they? What about their decision making or reflexes? These are some of the questions that need to be asked of them in order to improve the quality of goalkeepers in women's football.

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra says he wants to be a babysitter when he quits football. Evra would also like to do a television comedy with team-mate Park Ji-Sung. (The Sun)

Made me giggle what world is Evra in?!

rachel-unitt.jpg

Do I see a slight glimpse of nipple?

Evra, and Park for that matter, are both nuts. Evra sometimes pulls out some of the worst clothes off the pitch. I think I saw him in a fur coat once.

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra says he wants to be a babysitter when he quits football. Evra would also like to do a television comedy with team-mate Park Ji-Sung. (The Sun)

He won't get a babysitting job at Man U, they've already got a Nani.

..aw man, change this guys name to GoldStar.. you deserve it : peace:

Haha, Evra and Park are best mates. Carlos Tevez was also a close mate of theirs, before he defected to City, so I don't know what's happening there. But yes, they're crazy. :D

I laughed and groaned at the same time. Well played. :D

Sorry, but Defoe would have broken the net with that first oppurtunity by Heskey, and probably scored the second.

Lennon's having a stormer, carrying on his club form on the international stage. Just don't get yourself injured lad.

Great performance. Wish I had got a ticket now. Was there for the hearbreak 2 years ago when we lost 3-2 so would have love to have been at Wembley tonight to wipe that from my memory.

Lennon was immense.