NEurope

Mark Hughes is a fantastic manager who should never have been given the boot from Man City. He'll do great things with Liverpool if he gets the job.

Do we not have a world cup thread?

Anyone looking forward to it?

I'm predicting a Brazillian win due to their defence being decent. Spain, Italy and then the usual culprits at the quarters/semis will go out. (England...)

Still pretty miffed that Capello took Defoe or Heskey over Bent but as a Sunderland supporter I have affection for him as a player. England managers are weird.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8719210.stm

Well there goes Benitez, cant say im complaining at all. Slightly worried though about who'll be brought in to replace him, rumours ive heard is that it could be Hughes or Hodgson. To be honest I dont really want either.

So its official then. Not sure how to feel about it. Yes, we had a rubbish season but I've always thought Rafa knows his stuff and its just events on the pitch that are out of his control that conspire against him. Interesting times then as we search for a replacement! I can't think of any big name managers out there that we could get. I wouldn't want Hughes but I've huge respect for Hodgson so wouldn't mind if we go English with him. What about the likes of Klinsman, Guus Hiddink or even Van Gaal? I dunno. I do think that handing managership over to Dalglish is far to romantic an idea for any good to come of it.

Do we not have a world cup thread?

Anyone looking forward to it?

I'm predicting a Brazillian win due to their defence being decent. Spain, Italy and then the usual culprits at the quarters/semis will go out. (England...)

Still pretty miffed that Capello took Defoe or Heskey over Bent but as a Sunderland supporter I have affection for him as a player. England managers are weird.

There's a board/ sub-section on the way for the World Cup. :)

I'm gonna be supporting my usual combo of Brazil and Italy. I'm not too confident about either of their chances as Brazil have arguably the worst squad they've ever had, and I just don't fancy the Italians to retain it- but I would love it if they do!

I always liked Spain when they were underachievers, but now they have started winning, they are too cocky for my liking.

I like Benitez, he's a funny guy. Hope we get Hiddink, I like what he did at Chelski.

I'm gonna be supporting my usual combo of Brazil and Italy.

You couldn't glory hunt the World Cup more if you tried. :woops:

Don't think Liverpool will get Hiddink he's already signed a deal with Turkey.

What Hiddink doing! He should be waiting by the phone 24hrs a day to be Chelski's new manager. Turkey?!?

But yeah, do people know if Fabregas is out of the World Cup? CBA to look it all up.

What Hiddink doing! He should be waiting by the phone 24hrs a day to be Chelski's new manager. Turkey?!?

But yeah, do people know if Fabregas is out of the World Cup? CBA to look it all up.

From what I know, he's training with the squad. So, I don't think he's out of the World Cup just yet. He's been selected as part of the 23 man squad.

I'm not shocked that Rafa has gone. I find him to be very deceiving. He was found out last season, he scarcely had anything what resembled a plan B when things were going tits up.

Saying that, he bought some steadiness to Liverpool (the last year withstanding). The team was hard to beat, and it's great for their fans that he took them to 3 major finals.(apologies if I missed any, but I mean the 2 Champions League Finals and FA Cup Final) But then, that's where lies the problem: Could he ever have won the league with Liverpool? He was a great manager in Europe for Liverpool, but he should have won the league in 08-09. Liverpool played out of their skin that year. During that season, United were very strong defensively, and in some cases the team shyed away from playing expansive or sexy-football and opted for a more clinical game. We won quite a few games 1-0 that season. Liverpool needed to do that last season, they needed to tighten up defensively and just get through the games 1-0. I have never really rated Liverpool defensively at all since Rafa has been there. Pepe, Agger and Mascherano aside. Carragher here and there.

As for the World Cup, Franklin will be working on that. It should be a great experience watching the games and then discussing them here. I always go for the home nations, and I'd like to see England do something special. I don't think Britain has had a lot to shout about these last few years, so it would be special if one of the home nations did something special. For a while, it looked like the Republic of Ireland would do something great, but it wasn't meant to be. Wales needs a lot of work, but there's some promising youth coming through. Scotland needs a fair bit of work, too. Although, the media seems intent on destroying the England team's morale, so maybe that isn't meant to be either.

You couldn't glory hunt the World Cup more if you tried. :woops:

I always go for that combo. I think the glory hunters team of choice will be Spain this time round and then the rest will just plump for England. :zzz:

A couple of things I've read about Liverpool:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_6190452,00.html

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/03/anfield-liverpool-rafael-benitez

Never mind the Rio injury, Drogba also got ko'd!

I always go for that combo. I think the glory hunters team of choice will be Spain this time round and then the rest will just plump for England. :zzz:

A couple of things I've read about Liverpool:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_6190452,00.html

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/03/anfield-liverpool-rafael-benitez

Never mind the Rio injury, Drogba also got ko'd!

Yeah good I dont like Drogba because he plays dirty.

Seeing some chatter start on the World Cup and since we are 7 days away from first kick off I have opened our temp board for the tourney.

You can find it on the forums home page just under Gen Chit Chat.

If you were here 4 years ago it is the same set up as last time. If you are unfamiliar with said set up please read the intro thread HERE

I've already set up a specific thread for England team news.... if you feel another team will have enough discussion to warrant it's own threat let me know here or in the introduction thread in the actual WC forum and we'll see.

I just wish I could make a thread for Rep. Ireland team....or maybe a "frak the french hands thread?"...no?

Edited by Mokong

can a mod megre my number 2310 post to here http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27336

Done...since your original post was made before I actually made that thread your post went above my original post... so I just deleted mine...seemed odd having your post first then my "welcome to this thread" type post :heh:

Done...since your original post was made before I actually made that thread your post went above my original post... so I just deleted mine...seemed odd having your post first then my "welcome to this thread" type post :heh:

Thanks and could I be a mod for the world cup becuse you onley got 1 mod on.

Thanks and could I be a mod for the world cup becuse you onley got 1 mod on.

Q. I want to become a moderator. What do I do?

A. First of all never ever ask to be a moderator, if you do you will definitely NOT be picked. We admins have an eye for these things so we will spot moderators and not you. When we see someone who we believe would deserve to be mod we ask them if they are interested and not the other way around. All request will be ignored and any threads regarding it deleted.

Uh oh. Bad times.

So glad Benitez has gone, I hated him in his interviews. He started showing a slightly less ugly side to him just before he left when he knew he had failed at Liverpool.

Anyway - Joe Cole & Michael Ballack are leaving Chelsea on free transfers. LOL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8729993.stm

Not that Joe Cole really played much last season, but he's still a gret player in my opinion. Ballack I thought played a major role at the club, so Chelsea will definitely miss him.

Rafa takes Liverpool from 2nd in the League in the previous season and they finish in 7th the next. Just getting into the Europa League.

Rafa enjoys a good run in the Europa League, after his team perform miserably in the group stages of the Champions League. Poor FA Cup form, not a great run in the Carling Cup either. A bare squad still sees Dirk Kuyt being played out wide, with an injured Fernando Torres limping his way to the end of the season.

Rafa fails to control his players, including a certain Albert Riera claiming that he wants a move away from the club, stating that Rafa's man management skills are bizarre. His questionable man management skills in the previous season included the fiasco regarding Barry and Alonso, with Alonso then deciding to jump ship and with Villa deciding to sell Barry to Man City. Great play there, Benitez. Steven Gerrard lacks confidence and hits the headlines with assault charges. Rumours surface about further scandals. On the pitch, it is evident that Gerrard is not enjoying his football. He can't have a rest, because there are no replacements. Look at Lucas, week in week out he is the scapegoat, yet Rafa plays him on and on.

Years into his Reign, Rafa then realises that the youth policy at his club probably isn't that great. An out of breath Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard agree very willingly. Still, Rafa chooses to play with the same 11 for the majority of the season, with Babel as a second half cameo. Oh, and about Babel, he still isn't given a decent run in the team and his confidence takes one blow after the next.

After a nightmare season, Rafa then decides that it's best to leave the club. The fans agree. Rafa leaves with a £6 million severance package. The fans do not agree with that nice and tidy sum. Maybe giving him that 16 million quid or so deal last year wasn't the best idea.

Liverpool contemplate looking for a new manager. In the meantime, Inter decide that after their treble winning season, that after their Charismatic Manager Jose Mourinho decides to join Real Madrid, Inter decide that Benitez somehow is the best man for their job.

So, after a year of complete and utter failure, Rafa is taking his 6 million quid and is joining the Serie A, The Coppe Italia and Champions League Winners. I'll repeat that one more time. Rafa finished seventh last season, Liverpool will not be in the Champions League next season and they'll struggle the season after, what with City and Spurs closing the game between the outsiders and the top four. Rafa is then rewarded for his failure with his money and with a brand new job in Italy, managing the treble champions.

Say what you want about Liverpool fans being glad to see the back of him. They haven't won here. Now they have to find a new manager who will have to cope with the thin squad and poor youth system that he's left. There is only one winner here and it is Rafa. No two ways about it.