NEurope

People need to get one thing straight. Time added on is only a minimum, a referee can add on time as he sees fit during the course of injury time. I believe the time added on was correct. The problem I have is that it always does seem to be Man Utd who generally benefit from it. If all other teams had a fair crack at it then fair enough but how often have we seen Man Utd scoring those late goals well into stoppage time. The referees need to make sure their applying the same law to everyone.

Perhaps Man United do benefit from it but it's got nothing to do with the time, It's cos they attack till the final whistle. It's not Man United or the refs fault if a teams defence fall apart in stoppage time. United are just good at pressuring teams.

I'm getting annoyed at all this bollocks with the time keeping so the following made me smile today which was printed in the paper:

Opta stats for the average stoppage time added on (in seconds) for last season:

1. Hull - 259.6

2. Stoke - 258.5

3. West Ham - 253.6

4. Wigan - 248.1

5. Arsenal - 245

6. Spurs - 242

7. Man City - 241.6

8. Middlesbrough - 233.6

9. Newcastle - 232.6

10. Blackburn - 232

11. Liverpool - 231.6

12. Sunderland - 230.4

13. Portsmouth - 230.1

14. Aston Villa - 228.5

15. Everton - 224.1

16. Man Utd - 220

17. West Brom - 219.9

18. Bolton - 218.6

19. Fulham - 218.1

20. Chelsea - 212.8

It made me smile that there were 15 teams that on average were given more stoppage time than United :)

People also seem to be missing the fact that there are two teams in every game of football, and that the added time is for both teams believe it or not.

If City had scored another goal it wouldn't have been disallowed because the injury time belonged to Utd..

: peace:

In more important games :heh: it's still 0-0.

Come on The Baggies

:EDIT:

Arsenal v West Brom is end to end stuff, i'm only listening to it but it sounds quality.

Jerome Thomas has just got sent of for "punching" out.

2-0 Arsenal :sad:

Decent performance from us tonight.

6 changes to our first team, and we still held a pretty strong Arsenal team until the 70th minute with 10 men. We managed to cause them plenty of problems as well by the sound of it, its just a shame Simon Cox doesn't seem to be able to buy a goal at the moment.

Don't know what Thomas was thinking..? e-jit.

Well done to the rest of the lads.

Edited by DuD
Automerged Doublepost

It made me smile that there were 15 teams that on average were given more stoppage time than United :)

But Man United are usually winning by the end of 90 minutes, so in most cases lower stoppage time is actually an advantage for them - hence Fergie tapping his watch and glowering at the fourth official all the time. People aren't saying Man U always get lots of stoppage time, they're saying that the stoppage time is usually short in Man U games except on the rare occasions when they're drawing or losing and chasing the game at the end.

A table showing that Man U matches, on average, have some of the lowest added on time isn't really going to stop people raising eyebrows every time they're on the verge of dropping points and pull out a winner in the 98th minute, is it? Quite the opposite.

Edited by BlueStar

Oh give it a rest BlueStar. Jeez.

*goes off to opta to find a table of teams who score winners in stoppage time*

Oh wait, I can't be arsed. Just get over the fact that Man United are good at applying pressure to teams in the dying moments of matches especially if they are drawing or losing a game.

City could have gone for the win too but they perhaps were happy with a draw so sat back for the last few minutes of stoppage time, but United pushed and pushed and attacked and thus ended up scoring.

And that is the last thing I shall say on the matter. :p

Chelsea's unbeaten run ends as they lose 3-1 to Wigan Athletic, which means with Man U's 2-0 win against Stoke sees them top of the table. Spurs and Liverpool both flattened their opponents with Spurs winning 5-0 against Burnley of which Robbie Keane scored 4 of them and Liverpool beat Hull 6-1 in which Torres got a hat trick.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

...its just a shame Simon Cox doesn't seem to be able to buy a goal at the moment.

Don't worry, you play us on Tuesday and we have only kept one clean sheet all season so he is bound to score against us.

Chelsea's unbeaten run ends as they lose 3-1 to Wigan Athletic, which means with Man U's 2-0 win against Stoke sees them top of the table. Spurs and Liverpool both flattened their opponents with Spurs winning 5-0 against Burnley of which Robbie Keane scored 4 of them and Liverpool beat Hull 6-0 in which Torres got a hat trick.

Also, thanks for that Jeff, Liverpool beat Hull 6-1.

Good Carling Cup draw for Barnsley anyway before a crap result against QPR. Manchester Unites Reserves at home, we can beat Man Utd, easy.

Edited by kyletherobot

I don't know what Ancelotti was thinking today... putting Lampard on the left flank and letting Malouda play centre-half :s

Hope Ancelotti's saga doesn't begin to look like Scolari's :s

Three goals in 4 minutes for Newcastle against Ipswich. Shearer gets to rub it in at half time as well "Pretty embarrassing if you're an Ipswich player... Or an Ipswich manager" :laughing:

You have to feel for Fulham, after all they had plenty of opportunities to win the game. A mistake cost them any points. But we pulled through and got the result.

Aw poop, we were awful today! Wigan totally deserved the win over us.

Aw poop, we were awful today! Wigan totally deserved the win over us.

Did you see Cech's faul on the attacker?? I didn't watch the game, was the penalty correctly given??

Did you see Cech's faul on the attacker?? I didn't watch the game, was the penalty correctly given??

Yeah defo a pen.

I was shocked when the straight red was given. It wasn't a messy game up until then, and it was hardly a crunching tackle as he was clearly going for the ball. A yellow perhaps but I think the red was unjustified.

Then again I'm a Chelsea fan so naturally I'm gonna be a little biased.. :heh:

we are going down, we are going down, we are going down urgh.....

I watched that game earlier, and it just seems like luck isn't on your side at the moment. I mean, you pummeled Everton in the second half, but the frame of the goal, players on the line and Tim Howard stopped Pompey getting any points. I was expecting them to get a goal, but it just seemed one of those days where the luck didn't seem to be with them. Good luck for the rest of the season. Once you get a win, I think it'll give you some much needed momentum.

As for the Cech sending off, I think the red card was the right decision. I can't remember who was the attacking player (Rodelega?) but he was in on goal, and Cech denied him a clear goal-scoring chance. So, he had to go. I think Cech's case was that there were players coming back to cover for him, but I still think he denied a clear chance, so had to go.

I thought the game against Stoke was a tough one, and for a while I thought that maybe it would be one of those days where the chances wouldn't be taken. Valencia should have buried his chance, and Nani seemed to have taken a step backwards in his performances. It's a shame, as he gave some good performances earlier on, but I think he really needs to play week in week out in order to get the best out of him. Giggs is outshining both Valencia and Nani at the moment. One thing that I think he does better is that he just seems to do the simple things right first, and he seems to think things through a lot more. Valencia seems to want to beat people over and over but doesn't get the ball in quick enough. With Nani, I don't think he chooses the right type of ball when he has the opportunity to whip it in.

I'm glad Berbatov got on the scoresheet. :)

Loved the Chelsea score but admit that Cech really shouldn't have been sent off. Yeh it was deffo a pen but the red card was ott....or it might not be actually, within the rules etc regarding taking the last man down/preventing a scoring opportunity etc.

we are going down, we are going down, we are going down urgh.....

A lot of what I see at Portsmouth is very familiar in terms of what we went through last season.

Loved the Chelsea score but admit that Cech really shouldn't have been sent off. Yeh it was deffo a pen but the red card was ott....or it might not be actually, within the rules etc regarding taking the last man down/preventing a scoring opportunity etc.

Couldn't give a foul without showing a red.

I think Portsmouth are gonna go down....They've lost all the matches so far, and don't really look like winning matches in the near future. I know its early to say and that they haven't played THAT badly but still, losing all their fixtures so far requires ALOT of work to be done from now till the end of season to turn it all around....and I don't think Paul Hart is the man to do it.

In fairness the Arsenal fans were provoking the poor guy. Yes, I know, professionalism and all that, but there seem to be few checks on the professionalism of fans. And frankly, racism has no part in the game.

Now, where's Ramar to tell us that he was in the stands and all he heard were shouts of "I say, good show Adebayor!" and "Gosh, you're decision to leave us inspires no bitterness, bully for you, old chap!"

As was stated I was in Florida (only got back this morning), following football stateside was quite tough. The papers and very minimal tv coverage I saw didn't comment on any racism from our fans, got a source for that? Don't take that the wrong way, it's just that Arsenal's fanbase is very cosmopolitan, and it's very unlike our fans to be racist.

Apart from the City game, it would appear we haven't done too badly whilst I've been away, and I managed to get tickets for the AZ Alkmaar game this morning. So I'm pleased, can not wait for MotD2 tonight, you can complain all you want when you've got it, but its hell without it.

As was stated I was in Florida (only got back this morning), following football stateside was quite tough. The papers and very minimal tv coverage I saw didn't comment on any racism from our fans, got a source for that? Don't take that the wrong way, it's just that Arsenal's fanbase is very cosmopolitan, and it's very unlike our fans to be racist.

They were chanting about how his dad washes elephants for a living, I think that's what raised some eyebrows.