NEurope

Was at the Spurs - Manchester United game on Saturday. Was sat in the Spurs end and was a Spurs fan for the day :p

Great atmosphere! Fantastic buzz when Defoe scored, but the inevitable result followed!

Hoping to head over to the Leeds - Carlisle game now in 2 weeks time. Can't wait. Love going to ER.

Don't get too carried away after beating us, the way we have been playing recently I'm surprised we didn't lose by a hatful today.

Hopefully Mark Robins can get a few defenders in on loan, I think our strikeforce and midfield are good enough, but without a decent defence, we are dead certs for relegation. Do Man Utd have any young defenders that they could send Robins' way?

You were not terrible

Was at the Spurs - Manchester United game on Saturday. Was sat in the Spurs end and was a Spurs fan for the day :p

Great atmosphere! Fantastic buzz when Defoe scored, but the inevitable result followed!

Hoping to head over to the Leeds - Carlisle game now in 2 weeks time. Can't wait. Love going to ER.

That must have been amazing. Who would have been your Man of the Match?

Clubs agree to 'home-grown' quota

England's Premier League clubs have agreed new rules on the number of "home-grown" players in their squads. From next season, each club will, at the end of every transfer window, have to name at least eight "home-grown" players in a squad of 25.

To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21.

Under the new measures, clubs will be able to boost their squads beyond the 25 limit but only by players under the age of 21.

In agreeing to a quota on "home-grown" players from the beginning of the 2010-11 season, Premier League clubs have been guided by Uefa's interest in the development of young players.

"It will encourage youth development and the promotion of young players," said Premier League chief Richard Scudamore. "It's a rule which we think will give clubs an extra incentive to develop players, and to make a better return from their investment in youth.

"Make, rather than buy, is our intention."

BBC Sport

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, whaddya think about this news?

Out of curiosity, does this rule only apply to Premier League fixtures? So, what about FA Cup or Champions League games? I'm guessing that this rule applies to them, too.

One flaw I think is that it'll just encourage more teams to buy foreign players at the age of 17 or so. By the time they're 21, they'll be classed as home-grown. I know it's with the aim of encouraging teams to develop their youth systems further, but still, it's a potential flaw.

Well that explains United's recent transfer activity. A quick look down the team reveals this:

1. van der Sar - not HG

2. Gary Neville - HG

3. Patrice Evra - not HG

4. Owen Hargreaves - not HG

5. Rio Ferdinand - HG

6. Wesley Brown - HG

7. Michael Owen - HG

8. Anderson - not HG

9. Dimitri Berbatov - not HG

10. Wayne Rooney - HG

11. Ryan Giggs - HG

12. Ben Foster - HG

13. Ji-sung Park - not HG

14. Zoran Tosic - not HG

15. Nemanja Vidic - not HG

16. Michael Carrick - HG

17. Nani - not HG

18. Paul Scholes - HG

19. Danny Welbeck - HG eligible

20. Fabio da Silva - HG eligible

21. Rafael da Silva - HG eligible

22. John O'shea - HG

23. Johnny Evans - HG

24. Darren Fletcher - HG

25. Antonio Valencia - not HG

26. Gabriel Obertan - not HG

27. Federico Macheda - HG eligible

28. Darron Gibson - HG

29. Tomasz Kuszczak - not HG

30. Ritchie DeLaet - not HG

On first look it would seem that Liverpool are going to the the team most damaged (damaged probably isn't the right word but, meh) by this. They may have to look at a overhaul and the Chelsea situation will become clear once we know what si going to happen regarding this transfer ban.

An interesting read on this can be found : http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/14/premier-league-richard-scudamore-squads

Given that none of the current premierleague teams are going to be affected by it. It's means sod all tbh, pretty sure its just been bought in to make Blatters hilariously bad 6+5 plan go away.

That must have been amazing. Who would have been your Man of the Match?

My man of the match had to be Vidic or Rooney.

I've never seen Manchester United play in real life before, and Rooney just blew me away. That guy is so talented it's incredible. His goal was my favourite of the whole day - I mean Defoe's was amazing, and I predicted Giggs would score his free kick right before he took it, but Rooney showed his sheer class throughout the game.

Vidic was in command of United's box for the whole game, proving he is probably the best defender in the league.

Tough to choose between them to be honest.

I though Keane was wasted on the left wing. He hasn't a clue how to play as a winger, failed to track back, was made a fool of by Anderson once or twice and even Scholes ran rings around him anytime he dropped inside the middle.

Top of the league again :Dat least until Newcastle play tomorrow.

It didn't sound like we played that well tonight really yet still came away 3-1 winners. Thats the gulf between championship and premiership for you.

Our next match is Middlesborough at the Riverside, and im thinking we're gonna have to play better if we're to get anything out of them.

Still... undefeated so far..

Come on The Baggies.

Given that none of the current premierleague teams are going to be affected by it. It's means sod all tbh, pretty sure its just been bought in to make Blatters hilariously bad 6+5 plan go away.

Noodleman, you're a Colchester fan right? Got any thoughts on your signing of Kayode Odejayi from Barnsley? I'm so glad that our Robins has managed to offload Kayode so soon.

As bad as he was has been for us (the Chelsea game aside), I really hope he does a decent job for you guys because you won't have a player on the pitch who will try harder for you.

Noodleman, you're a Colchester fan right? Got any thoughts on your signing of Kayode Odejayi from Barnsley? I'm so glad that our Robins has managed to offload Kayode so soon.

As bad as he was has been for us (the Chelsea game aside), I really hope he does a decent job for you guys because you won't have a player on the pitch who will try harder for you.

I dunno really, can't say ive seen him play much. What kind of striker is he? If he can hold the ball up I reckon he could form a decent partnership with Lisbie. It's only a loan though so if it doesnt work out we can send him back.

Edit: Arsenal 2-0 down already, lunacy by eduardo on the edge of the arsenal penalty box and then a dodgy penalty pretty much straight away.

Adebayor was a dirty bastard in that game and a right shit-stirrer. Come on, FA, do summat you incompetent arses!

-----------------

In today's news: Well, you know. :yay:

Gabby did it again :yay:

Edited by the_villa

My man of the match had to be Vidic or Rooney.

I've never seen Manchester United play in real life before, and Rooney just blew me away. That guy is so talented it's incredible. His goal was my favourite of the whole day - I mean Defoe's was amazing, and I predicted Giggs would score his free kick right before he took it, but Rooney showed his sheer class throughout the game.

Vidic was in command of United's box for the whole game, proving he is probably the best defender in the league.

Tough to choose between them to be honest.

I though Keane was wasted on the left wing. He hasn't a clue how to play as a winger, failed to track back, was made a fool of by Anderson once or twice and even Scholes ran rings around him anytime he dropped inside the middle.

Both brilliant players, and loved by the fans.

I was a bit surprised that Harry decided to play three strikers. But, the move to put Keane on the left just didn't work at all. Still, you live and learn. I like him and the team, so I hope they have a good season.

The game against Besiktas was very, very tough. That crowd! Fucking unbelieveable. It must be so intimidating for the players to play in a place like that. I read something where Ben Foster said that he couldn't communicate with his defenders, because it was just too damn loud. That's awesome.

I'm chuffed that Scholes got the winning goal, and looking back on the Spurs game I think he was maybe a little unlucky to get sent off. I was quite harsh on him, but looking at the replays, he probably was a little hard done by. Maybe. I still haven't decided. Anyway, it was a tough game, and I think we should have played 4-4-2 from the start, rather than 4-5-1 with Rooney as the lone striker. It didn't work, I feel. A bit too overcrowded in midfield, but I think Fergie's aim was to secure the midfield, make sure we don't concede, then push to 4-4-2 if we still hadn't scored. I was impressed by Valencia, who kept on beating his man. If he had 2 strikers to aim for from the start, I think it would've been a higher scoring game. But, Besiktas played very well, and held their lines pretty well. Time and time again Rooney and then Owen were offside.

I watched the Liverpool game tonight. Torres seemed out of the game for most of it, and he just seemed a bit leggy. Maybe his confidence is a tad low? But still, he helped set up the winner. Kuyt was brilliant in the first half, and I don't understand how Reira (sp?) didn't score?! Poor guy. He had something like 3 chances in 5 minutes and probably should have scored at least one of them.

I didn't see any of the football tonight, but its good to see the english clubs winning in europe.. especially Arsenal, after suffering such a bad start.

In the Championship: Blackpool pulled out a win against Newcastle, who are having pretty bad luck with their strikers at the moment if i've heard right..?

Anywho that means we remain top heading into saturdays match at Middlesborough. Whoo-Hoo :yay:

I didn't see any of the football tonight, but its good to see the english clubs winning in europe.. especially Arsenal, after suffering such a bad start.

In the Championship: Blackpool pulled out a win against Newcastle, who are having pretty bad luck with their strikers at the moment if i've heard right..?

Anywho that means we remain top heading into saturdays match at Middlesborough. Whoo-Hoo :yay:

Arsenal had a bit of luck on their side, mind. Their second goal was offside and had a hint of handball, and their third came from Eduardo...who just had his two game ban over-turned, haha.

Also, yeah, I heard Newcastle were in a bit of bother. Ameobi is out til January or something, I heard? Is that right? So, they're looking to bring in some players on loan, as replacement.

Arsenal had a bit of luck on their side, mind.

Fortune favours the brave... or so they say.

I heard Ameobi had fractured his foot and would be out till christmas time. maybe he's asking santa for a new foot :heh:

I also heard Carrol had some kind of injury, but i'm pretty sure he played tonight.. so i don't know what the crack is there..?

I heard they were after Diomansy Kamara on loan from Fulham. I think that would make me cry a little lot if he came and helped them finish above us. He should never have left us.

Seems i've been doing alot of hearing.

Fortune favours the brave... or so they say.

I heard Ameobi had fractured his foot and would be out till christmas time. maybe he's asking santa for a new foot :heh:

I also heard Carrol had some kind of injury, but i'm pretty sure he played tonight.. so i don't know what the crack is there..?

I heard they were after Diomansy Kamara on loan from Fulham. I think that would make me cry a little lot if he came and helped them finish above us. He should never have left us.

Seems i've been doing alot of hearing.

I hurd u liek mudkipz?!

Yeah, I've pretty much heard the same stuff. I worry for Newcastle's strikeforce, because...there just doesn't seem to be a lot of them. :heh:

I used to like Ameobi, but I don't think he's good enough to be their main source of goals. He's good as another option, like a second or third striker.

I just urban dictionary'd mudkipz.. thats a pretty random story.. I wub Mudkipz!! :hehe:

I dunno Ameobi seemed to be in decent form at the start of the season..?

I'd say you're right about they're lack of strikers though. I've just checked their sky sports page and they have 6 listed, 4 of whom though i've never heard of..?

Edited by DuD
Automerged Doublepost

Wohoo, Saturday is almost here. :D

Saturday 19th September

Arsenal 3 - 0 Wigan

Aston Villa 2 - 0 Portsmouth

Bolton 1 - 2 Stoke

Burnley 1 - 1 Sunderland

Hull 2 - 1 Birmingham

West Ham 1 - 3 Liverpool

Sunday 20th September

Chelsea 3 - 2 Tottenham

Everton 2 - 0 Blackburn

Man Utd 3 - 1 Man City

Wolverhampton 1 - 1 Fulham

I've got a feeling that it'll be quite a high-scoring weekend. All the teams who played in the Champions League had relatively low scoring victories (with the exception of Arsenal) but I think they'll show up on Saturday and Sunday and give some professional performances. Benayoun is in good scoring form for Liverpool and Rooney for United, and that is why I've got for those two teams scoring three.

Chelsea versus Spurs is always a great game to watch, and I've got a feeling it'll be a high scoring encounter. :) It'll probably be nil-nil now, haha.

My predictions are as following this sentence which stops...now:

Saturday:

Arsenal 3 - 1 Wigan

Villa 2 - 0 Portsmouth

Bolton 2 - 2 Stoke

Burnley 1 - 2 Sunderland

Hull 1 - 0 Blues

West Ham 1 - 2 Liverpool

Sunday:

Chelsea 4 - 2 Tottenham

Everton 2 - 0 Blackburn

Man Utd 3 - 2 Man City

Wolves 0 - 0 Fulham

Glad to see you both predicting a Liverpool win. Better not scud us though!

I would love it if West Ham trashed you 6 nil. :heh:

But, it's not going to happen. I don't think they're particularly in great form at the moment, and I think Liverpool will have a bit too much for them. Particularly Benayoun and Kuyt who have looked good recently. They're hard workers and I just don't think West Ham will be able to compete with that.

But, this is one prediction I wouldn't mind getting wrong, haha. :D

Saturday:

Arsenal 3 - 0 Wigan

Villa 2 - 0 Portsmouth

Bolton 0 - 0 Stoke

Burnley 2 - 1 Sunderland

Hull 1 - 1 Blues

West Ham 0 - 2 Liverpool

Sunday:

Chelsea 1 - 0 Tottenham

Everton 2 - 0 Blackburn

Man Utd 1 - 1 Man City

Wolves 0 - 2 Fulham

Saturday:

Arsenal 3 - 0 Wigan

Villa 2 - 0 Portsmouth

Bolton 0 - 0 Stoke

Burnley 2 - 1 Sunderland

Hull 1 - 1 Blues

West Ham 0 - 2 Liverpool

Sunday:

Chelsea 1 - 0 Tottenham

Everton 2 - 0 Blackburn

Man Utd 1 - 1 Man City

Wolves 0 - 2 Fulham

That Mancester Derby score makes me sad face. :(

We could also do Championship, League One and Two predictions, too? As we have Colchester and Barnsley fans about. And Newcastle people, too.

We could also do Championship, League One and Two predictions, too? As we have Colchester and Barnsley fans about. And Newcastle people, too.

Woah

Woah

WOAH there FLiNk

No love for the baggies.??? :shakehead