NEurope

We don't particularly have the squad to play that many games, really, but they wanted to repay the fans for the whole travelling-to-Moscow-to-see-a-second-string-side fiasco. And by that they were hoping to reproduce some more magical European nights (Just like the Ajax game last season, which really was absolutely awesome!)

The plus side is that we can focus more on domestic competition now. I'm hoping now we can go on a good run in one of the cups. One that would result with a trip down to Wembley. :smile:

Eduardo might be banned for 2 games. This is utterly ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great they've decided to do something about diving, but you can't just start to make it up as you go along. There are so many dives across Europe every year, but all of a sudden they've decided this is the most important one of the last 20 years?

Where were UEFA when Ronaldo dived against England? Where were UEFA when Babel cheated a penalty against Arsenal in the last 5 minutes of a CL quarter final? (And that was a penalty that actually meant something, not one that you could remove and still turn up the same result) Where have UEFA been for the entire of Ronaldo's career?

UEFA proving once again that they are a joke.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great they've decided to do something about diving, but you can't just start to make it up as you go along. There are so many dives across Europe every year, but all of a sudden they've decided this is the most important one of the last 20 years?

Where were UEFA when Ronaldo dived against England? Where were UEFA when Babel cheated a penalty against Arsenal in the last 5 minutes of a CL quarter final? (And that was a penalty that actually meant something, not one that you could remove and still turn up the same result) Where have UEFA been for the entire of Ronaldo's career?

If we go by those examples, then surely nothing will ever get done? Maybe this is the start of UEFA becoming much more harsher on divers? If we just say "Oh, they should've done it a long time ago, there's no point starting now." It's bit flawed, in my opinion.

On the one hand, you are right, they have missed so many important incidents in the past. On the other hand, you are shooting them down for doing something about this problem.

Fair enough for punishing Eduardo for his dive (cheaters should be punished), but the real test of this new no-nonsence Uefa is whether or not any foreign teams get given the same treatment..?

We can't moan about them bringing the rule in for this incident because it has to be introduced at some point, however if the next dive does not recieve the same treatment Uefa really won't have a leg to stand on when questioned about it.

If we go by those examples, then surely nothing will ever get done? Maybe this is the start of UEFA becoming much more harsher on divers? If we just say "Oh, they should've done it a long time ago, there's no point starting now." It's bit flawed, in my opinion.

On the one hand, you are right, they have missed so many important incidents in the past. On the other hand, you are shooting them down for doing something about this problem.

I have no problem with them starting to do something about it, but you and I both know this is not a long term commitment. If they want to do something about it, you announce it first, you don't pick a single incident as the only one to get punished.

Will they be enforcing this dive = 2 match ban for all games in UEFA competitons? of course not, look at Ashley Young's dive yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BWRDOjfz9c#t=0m26s

Will he be banned? no.

If a big name player dives in the Quarters or Semis of the knockout stages, and would miss the final, will Platini and Blatter hand out the same punishment? On a cold day in hell.

Well thats where we find out if Uefa are actually the joke that we all believe they are.

I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that they will enforce it. I've read that they plan to have two extra referees (one beside each goal) to help spot the cheaters that go to ground in the penalty area. This is meant to be introduced for the group stages of the Europa League (no mention of Champions League yet though).

So there is some evidence that they plan to back up this new rule, however if the officials are allowed instructed to officiate in the same manner that they did to remove Chelsea from the Champions League final last year... what is the point..?

I would agree if this was the first time they had banned someone for it. It is not.

I would agree if this was the first time they had banned someone for it. It is not.

Wasn't the last one in 2007? You can't pick and choose when to enforce rules, it cannot be at random, it has to be all the time or none of the time. What is the occasional ban going to achieve?

I thought UEFA were totally unable to overturn referee's decisions, even when they are proved wrong? Remind me why Fletcher wasn't allowed to play in the CL final?

Wasn't the last one in 2007? You can't pick and choose when to enforce rules, it cannot be at random, it has to be all the time or none of the time. What is the occasional ban going to achieve?

I thought UEFA were totally unable to overturn referee's decisions, even when they are proved wrong? Remind me why Fletcher wasn't allowed to play in the CL final?

They can't overturn red cards. Obviously that is bollocks and they should be able too but it's just the way their procedures are down in the book. Simulation is considering bringing the game into disrepute, which they can do something about.

As for enforcing the rules, Keepers aren't suppose to hold the ball for any longer than 6 seconds. Free kicks should be moved 10 yards for dissent. When are these ever enforced?

EDIT

Wenger is now actually trying to defend Eduardo's dive. Apparently first off it wasn't a dive and Boruc did foul him (I've not heard anyone else agree with this). Secondly, Having one bad injury now entitles him to dive when ever he feels he might get tackled.

He should perhaps stick to his trusted "I did not see it" line in the future.

Edited by Jon

I'm ok with Eduardo serving a ban, it was a dive and if UEFA feel they must punish him, fair enough. But they must now enforce the rule, like Ice9 is saying, if they then don't continue to ban blatant dives with tv footage then UEFA are nothing more than a joke.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I read today that UEFA are going to try out "Goal Line" referees in the europa cup this year. Will be interesting to see if it works...

Wenger is now actually trying to defend Eduardo's dive. Apparently first off it wasn't a dive and Boruc did foul him

You may have seen a quote I haven't but this is one thing he said:

"I'm the first to say that it doesn't look like a penalty but it's another thing to say that he went down with intent."

Doesn't sound like he's claiming a foul.

He is unhappy with the inconsistency in the case, having seen people cheat against his team with no repercussions, sometimes in more important circumstances than this (See my earlier Babel example that directly knocked Arsenal out the CL, as opposed to this where you take it away and Arsenal still win 4-1).

Read this and try to understand what he is saying:

"I've fought my whole life against cheating and I've seen some obvious cases where Uefa didn't intervene. On and off the pitch things have happened where no action was taken.

"But now the existing rules of football have been changed just for one case so we will from now on challenge every single decision that is made in Europe by the referees.

"This is the first time since I've been in football that the judgement made by the referee is not accepted by the football bodies."

Complete over-reaction by UEFA and pretty strange they choose an incident that didnt effect the result in anyway. Celtic could still be playing and they wouldnt have scored the 3 goals they needed tbh. I dont have any problem with UEFA the FA whoever reviewing footage after a match and if a player dived give them a yellow card retroactively. But dishing out a 2 game ban for something that would have been a yellow card had the ref seen it is utterly mental.

You may have seen a quote I haven't but this is one thing he said:

"I'm the first to say that it doesn't look like a penalty but it's another thing to say that he went down with intent."

Doesn't sound like he's claiming a foul.

He is unhappy with the inconsistency in the case, having seen people cheat against his team with no repercussions, sometimes in more important circumstances than this (See my earlier Babel example that directly knocked Arsenal out the CL, as opposed to this where you take it away and Arsenal still win 4-1).

Read this and try to understand what he is saying:

"I've fought my whole life against cheating and I've seen some obvious cases where Uefa didn't intervene. On and off the pitch things have happened where no action was taken.

"But now the existing rules of football have been changed just for one case so we will from now on challenge every single decision that is made in Europe by the referees.

"This is the first time since I've been in football that the judgement made by the referee is not accepted by the football bodies."

Funny you missed the first line from that quote.

Eduardo has been touched by the goalkeeper we can prove that.

Arsenal won the fixture, so no matter how much moaning is done over the penalty i'm pretty sure Uefa will not be handing the win to Celtic so please get over it. As everyone has said it made absolutely no difference to the end result anyway. Arsenal qualified.. Celtic didn't.

I think Noodleman hit the nail on the head when he said:

I dont have any problem with UEFA the FA whoever reviewing footage after a match and if a player dived give them a yellow card retroactively. But dishing out a 2 game ban for something that would have been a yellow card had the ref seen it is utterly mental.

I have no problem with them starting to do something about it, but you and I both know this is not a long term commitment. If they want to do something about it, you announce it first, you don't pick a single incident as the only one to get punished.

Will they be enforcing this dive = 2 match ban for all games in UEFA competitons? of course not, look at Ashley Young's dive yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BWRDOjfz9c#t=0m26s

Will he be banned? no.

If a big name player dives in the Quarters or Semis of the knockout stages, and would miss the final, will Platini and Blatter hand out the same punishment? On a cold day in hell.

None of us can say for certain if UEFA are starting a long-term commitment to cut out diving. It is something they should have been doing before and they should be doing a lot more at the moment to enforce bans or punishments for diving. Like you said, the Ashley Young incident may get over-looked, or some action may be taken against him by UEFA now that a player from a Premiership team has been punished. It's a possibility? Although, Villa were knocked out of Europe, Arsenal are still there. So, given that, I think Young probably will get away with it.

It may be a one-off, or it may be the start of UEFA finally getting their arses into gear to punish diving more strictly. Only time will tell which one of the above is the case.

Edit: Just seen Noodle's post. A 2 game ban is pretty harsh, and it does seem that UEFA are making an example out of him. If UEFA really want to do something about diving, then they need to develop some sort of consistency. Is every person now found guilty of diving going to get a 2 game ban? I think it is the consistency factor that bugs a lot of people, and I understand why because it annoys me, too.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

the reason it's not a retrospective yellow card is because he's seen to have cheated and got away with it

but yes it has to be seen now that UEFA are clamping down on all clear cut cases of diving and not just the ones that are seen by the most people

AND THE SPURS GO MARCHING ON!!!!!!! GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also, I'm SOOOOOOO pleased that dirty cheating scumbag gooner is getting banned! Wnger seems to be breed dirty diving cheating scumbags; can you remember Reyes?! F*ck me he was a c*nt!!!

Come on Man u!!!!!!

AND THE SPURS GO MARCHING ON!!!!!!! GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also, I'm SOOOOOOO pleased that dirty cheating scumbag gooner is getting banned! Wnger seems to be breed dirty diving cheating scumbags; can you remember Reyes?! F*ck me he was a c*nt!!!

Come on Man u!!!!!!

2 words Jurgen Klinsman :indeed:

Lost 2-1 to Leeds today Boothroyd in plz.

Carling Cup third round draw:

Arsenal v West Brom

Chelsea v QPR

Bolton v West Ham

Barnsley v Burnley

Hull v Everton

Leeds v Liverpool

Manchester United v Wolves

Manchester City v Fulham

Sunderland v Birmingham

Peterborough v Newcastle

Carlisle v Portsmouth

Nottingham Forest v Blackburn

Stoke v Blackpool

Scunthorpe v Port Vale

Preston v Tottenham

Aston Villa v Cardiff

Being a Liverpool supporter living in Leeds, i'm delighted at the draw :D

Chelsea vs QPR again? I hope it's more entertaining than the last time we played.

Gotta love Eboue getting booked for diving. Great day of football rounded up by an Arsenal loss - quality.

And Arsene getting sent off for crying... it really couldn't have gone any better!!!