NEurope

You guys really can argue about attendances all you want. As an outsider all I can say is in the grand scheme of things Sunderland at the moment have the upper hand. Everything else is just a moot point.

Damn did anyone hear about Davenport? WTF

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8216100.stm

It was mentioned on Match of the Day last night, which was the first I had heard about it. Really shocking and awful stuff. Stabbing his Mother, too. Some people just have no respect. :(

As for the talk about attendances, they are very important. But, they will differ slightly week in and week out. Who knows, maybe next week The Stadium of Light will reach full capacity and St James' Park will have a few thousand empty seats. It's only a few weeks into the season, so maybe a better comparison would be to look at the attendances over a larger number of matches.

Anyway, I'm still in Belgium at the moment, and because I went food shopping yesterday I knew I wasn't going to be back in time for kick-off. So, I did the more difficult thing which was to wait until Match of the Day. I tell you, I get so nervous waiting. "We could be losing 3-0 and I don't know it!"

So, I watched the game, and I was a bit surprised at the margin of the scoreline at the end of the game, especially considering how well Wigan held out in the first half. Still, seeing Berbatov and Owen getting their goals made me punch the air. Great free-kick by Nani, too. Of course, Rooney getting two delighted me. Bring on the Arsenal. :)

Berbatov looked pretty great again yesterday, too. I've got a good friend who pretty much orgasms everytime Berba feeds another pass through.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

The situation regarding free-kicks and penalties at united is really concerning me. Nani scored from a free kick with placement not power, something Ronaldo didn't really do but is something that Beckham used to use. Great, you would think. I am not sure however if he can repeat this over and over again. He has a strong hit on him as well, but not the hardest.

Regarding penalties I am really confused over who I would like to take them. I would like Rooney to step up but he doesn't seem keen. Carrick hit a shocker but I know he can do better. Giggs has taken 5 penalties for United and missed 3 so he's not really a prime candidate and he isn't starting every game anyway. Berbatov, well I think we all remember his recent results. Evra seems to want to but I'm not sure about his nerves and he again has missed one recently.

I suppose when it comes down to it, it is about who holds their cool. I would love someone like Vidic to step up and hit one, he's always solid but I suppose mos realistically it would be Wayne.

The situation regarding free-kicks and penalties at united is really concerning me. Nani scored from a free kick with placement not power, something Ronaldo didn't really do but is something that Beckham used to use. Great, you would think. I am not sure however if he can repeat this over and over again. He has a strong hit on him as well, but not the hardest.

Regarding penalties I am really confused over who I would like to take them. I would like Rooney to step up but he doesn't seem keen. Carrick hit a shocker but I know he can do better. Giggs has taken 5 penalties for United and missed 3 so he's not really a prime candidate and he isn't starting every game anyway. Berbatov, well I think we all remember his recent results. Evra seems to want to but I'm not sure about his nerves and he again has missed one recently.

I suppose when it comes down to it, it is about who holds their cool. I would love someone like Vidic to step up and hit one, he's always solid but I suppose mos realistically it would be Wayne.

I actually can't remember the last time I saw Berbatov or Carrick take free-kicks from outside the box. They are arguably the best "passers" in the team, and they go for accuracy more than power. You don't always need power to strike a free-kick, especially if the ball is not directed at goal. Accuracy is always better, at least for me anyway. Remember that Hargreaves free-kick against Arsenal? It just jumped over the wall and into the bottom corner. He didn't smash it, it was all technique. :)

For free-kicks, Nani, Berbatov, Carrick, Rooney and Anderson would be the ones I'd look at. Anderson hasn't found the net in the league, but I do think he has a great strike on him. He's the type of player who will miss 10 but then score that one spectacular one, I bet.

For penalties, I actually can't remember the last time Anderson took one and missed. Carrick, Giggs, and Evra have all taken penalties recently and missed, but I would still back each of them to score more than they would miss.

For me, the first choice would always be Rooney. I wouldn't be nervous if Berbatov or Nani stepped up to take one.

That Hargreaves free kick was a beauty. I think it deserves a post (sorry Ramar).

How is Hargreaves' recovery coming along? I heard he suffered another set back..? He's been out the game far too long.

That Hargreaves free kick was a beauty. I think it deserves a post (sorry Ramar).

How is Hargreaves' recovery coming along? I heard he suffered another set back..? He's been out the game far too long.

I went absolutely ballistic when I saw that. One of the most memorable moments of that season for me, and in recent years. :)

He's had a lot of trouble, and no one can say for sure what is going to happen. It's not even certain how well he will perform when or if he does come back. The estimates so far range/have ranged from: the beginning of the season, 2 weeks into the season, 6 weeks into the season, Christmas or January.

Having him back and back to his best would be a huuuuge boost. But, even if he does come back, there has been speculation that he may only have a few years left in him, as his problem is re-occuring. :(

Having him back and back to his best would be a huuuuge boost. But, even if he does come back, there has been speculation that he may only have a few years left in him, as his problem is re-occuring. :(

Such a shame that theres an if involved. It's a similar situation with Clement for us :(

Such a shame that theres an if involved. It's a similar situation with Clement for us :(

That's the sad part of it. I think Hargreaves' injury is similar to an injury that Nadal has, since they both rely on making short bursts of speed through standing starts, or something to that effect.

It's a huge shame, especially since he really has done well for us when he has played. The United midfield right now should be him and Anderson in the middle, as we looked really strong with that.

Ours was also a mid-week game, the difference is that our game was against Sheffield Wednesday, in the Championship, with no manager, an owner dismantling the club, and our players leaving in droves and yours was against one of the biggest teams in the world, in the best league in the world. Your lot seem quite disappointed with your attendances, anyroad, particularly compared to ours.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=433965

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=434179

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=434927

Main reason I point it out is that I've been reading people on forums and in the media gloating about how I'd be sitting alongside 20,000 empty seats this season.

Yeah we had 4 games in ten days. Give your head a shake son.

Yeah we had 4 games in ten days. Give your head a shake son.

Well yes, but two of them were away now, weren't they.

Anyway, anyone heard anythign about this Stoke fan critically injured/killed by Birmingham fans? Not seen anything about it on the news but supposedly they bashed his head in with bricks and fractured his skull, rumours that he'd died. I know Stoke and Birmingham have a long history of violence and revenge attacks each time they meet.

Seriously I hope Man City don't break the top 4 with the way they are going about it, I mean if Lescott really is going for £24 million from Everton that just takes the cake. Of course if he wants to leave let him but paying a ridiculous amount to sway him is just...Well words don't come to me.

Well yes, but two of them were away now, weren't they.

Anyway, anyone heard anythign about this Stoke fan critically injured/killed by Birmingham fans? Not seen anything about it on the news but supposedly they bashed his head in with bricks and fractured his skull, rumours that he'd died. I know Stoke and Birmingham have a long history of violence and revenge attacks each time they meet.

Had a quick look around the web, seems like the attack took place. Although the fanzine website I found seems to suggest the bloke is alive, but in a very critical condition. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, absolutely shocking that this stuff goes on in football.

I'm all for banter, winding up away fans. But when it comes down to it, its a game, after the whistle forgive and forget. No one deserves to be injured (how ever serious) because of football.

Another great win for us, still got our 100% record, joint top still with Charlton. 3-0 hammering of Tranmere. niiiice

Hope if Everton come after Taylor we take into account their recent windfall when negotiating a price. We let ourselves get absolutely stiffed on the Given deal, which was apparently only about £5.5 million, when Man City were going round and paying basically whatever anyone asked. Then we waited for the deal to go through before asking if we could buy Johnson off them and getting turned down. :indeed:

I went on SkySports.com, saw that scoreline and subsequently shat myself.

Finished 3-1. FUCK YEAH! :yay:

FUCK!

YEAH!

In Liverpool's opening 3 games they've lost as many as they did in the full 38 last season... ouch.

Still early days yet though.

What a result for the Villans, i guess they won't be booing at that.

They won't, but they'll definitely boo if we don't beat Fulham on Sunday.

"Mehh, we should be aiming for the top six, how we are going to do that if we can't beat Fulham. We need more players to get in to the top six. Moron O'Neill should fuck off now rather than when it all goes tits up..."

My. Fucking. GOD! I hate my fellow Villa fans at the moment...

I think Fulham will get a point at the weekend. This is entirely down to my love of Woy though such an hero.

Bit of insider knowledge which is hopefully true. The newly announced Peter Storrie led consortium is set to confirm and rubber stamp their takeover of the club in time for tonights match against Hereford. Storrie will replace the much maligned (in my view) Al Fahim as the clubs chairman.

Bit of insider knowledge which is hopefully true. The newly announced Peter Storrie led consortium is set to confirm and rubber stamp their takeover of the club in time for tonights match against Hereford. Storrie will replace the much maligned (in my view) Al Fahim as the clubs chairman.

Hopefully that happens and your lot can be on the up, I enjoy the banter with your bloke with the bell. So it would be a shame to see you guys struggle this season.