NEurope

An Arsenal fan clever enough to rhyme :o Never thought I would see the day!

Its not haiku but I'm still impressed ;)

I never have been good at English Lit :P.

Hoping the club put on a good deal, because checking Easyjet, national express and some of the other train companies are wanting about £150 just to get to glasgow.

I was recently looking at flights from Luton to Edinburgh, and they were around £25. Edinburgh to Glasgow isn't far, though I can't imagine the flights straight to Glasgow could be much different price wise?

It'll be a great tie. Arsenal vs. Celtic. Ooo, I dunno how to call that one. My instincts tell me that Arsenal will persevere, but I honestly can't be certain.

Based on what I saw last week, I'm afraid I'm struggling to see us beating Arsenal.

I was recently looking at flights from Luton to Edinburgh, and they were around £25. Edinburgh to Glasgow isn't far, though I can't imagine the flights straight to Glasgow could be much different price wise?

Easyjet's site was throwing up prices of £60.99 each way to Glasgow from Luton. Didn't check Edinburgh because I can't be bothered with the added travel.

Wow. That's pretty crazy. Trains I looked at (which were again to Edinburgh and so will need an additional connection) were about £35 each way. Although now that I think about it, I was looking about 2 weeks later, so I guess it's going to be more expensive the closer the day is.

Wow. That's pretty crazy. Trains I looked at (which were again to Edinburgh and so will need an additional connection) were about £35 each way. Although now that I think about it, I was looking about 2 weeks later, so I guess it's going to be more expensive the closer the day is.

I looked at trains from London to Glasgow, cheapest I could find was about £100 return, but I can't recall if that was using my railcard or not. Plus I'd then have to add travel to London on that. If I do make the trip I don't think it'll be cheap. :(

Sky Sports are saying we've signed Habib Beye from Newcastle. But there's fuck all about it anywhere else. :hmm:

Sky Sports are saying we've signed Habib Beye from Newcastle. But there's fuck all about it anywhere else. :hmm:

I saw that and was just about to come in here and post about it. I swear that I read earlier that Hull were the ones in the running for him. Hmm.

It's confirmed on the Villa site now, Habib Beye has signed on a three-year deal. Now we just need to get another experienced. defender and sign Sneijder and that's us set up pretty nicely.

That's pretty suh-weet. We need a defender like Beye. :)

Now we can sing that brilliant terrace chant of him. :grin:

now we'll probably go and draw the Arsenal!

it's like I'm psychic or something!

I have no idea how this will turn out, we always seem to make a good show of ourselves against English opposition, hopefully we won't lose the first leg like against Dinamo ;)

Watford FC- good squad, shame we have no wingers and no flair, mid-table at the moment

Pretty good result for Barnsley this afternoon at Hillsborough.

We were awful in the 1st half, and Wednesday were actually pretty good and they went in 2-0 up. We were a different team in the 2nd though, the boys actually started to play a bit (and we had a bit of luck) and we got a deserved 2-2 draw. We still need a few more signings though, Adam Hammill should be signing tomorrow from Liverpool, and hopefully Andy Gray next week too.

I'm looking forward to the season now, certainly more that 3.45 this afternoon.

We're 4th too! That'll suit me at the end of the season. :)

bahaha we beat Norwich 7-1 today 7 fucking 1 and it was at Carrow road :awesome: Might as well just give us the league title now tbh. In all honestly I think this will be the finest moment of our season and we've shot our wad already. But oh well, nice to see Villa steal Beye from Hull, its like every side has decided to fuck Phil Brown off this transfer window, which is excellent.

Glad we drew with west brom today. I cant decide if that should be a hard game as they got releagted with us. Or if its an easy game as they are shit arnt as good as the teams at the top of the championship last year.

Community Shield on Sky Sports 2 right now, Chelsea v Manchester United

Current Score

Chelsea - 0 : Manchester United - 1 (Nani)

Glad we drew with west brom today. I cant decide if that should be a hard game as they got releagted with us. Or if its an easy game as they are shit arnt as good as the teams at the top of the championship last year.[/utter shite]

Hahahaha

:indeed:

You're funny

I actually missed the game (GUTTED), but apparently Newcastles substitute keeper played a blinder. It was more like 2 points lost for us from what I heard. Hopefully i'll be able to find some decent highlights to form my own opinion on the game, but that statement above is utter shite danny.

On a more positive note... it seems that luke moore is playing much better under Roberto's influence... lets see if he can keep up his pre-season form.

Edited by DuD

Tim Krul made a few decent saves, we were dodgy at the back but looked the better team going forward. Could have gone either way to be honest.

Canny article in The Times yesterday on the Top 10 teams of the last 25 years:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6789124.ece

1: Arsenal 2001-04

The 2002 team were superb, but the “Invincibles”, who went through the season undefeated two years later, were truly exceptional. Thierry Henry and others were at the peak of their powers, but the main difference between this and subsequent Arsenal sides was in their indomitable spirit and physical strength. No European Cup, but what a team.

2: Manchester United 2006-09

Even Ryan Giggs has questioned whether this is a truly great team, rather than merely a successful one, but their three consecutive titles and two Champions League final appearances have come at a time when the Premier League’s elite is more powerful than ever. The question is whether they can still flourish without Cristiano Ronaldo.

3. Chelsea 2004-2009

We are talking here about the side fashioned by José Mourinho, which still, at its best, bears his hallmark. They are not quite the force they were when they won the Premier League with a record points tally in 2005, but two league titles and a series of near-misses in the Champions League do scant justice to the team that José built.

4: Manchester United 1995-2001

Over six years that yielded five league titles and a long-awaited Champions League success in 1999, United were truly dominant. Four and five-goal victories were ritual, but so too were the comebacks that drew on the character and spirit of Roy Keane, David Beckham and a team for whom winning was second nature.

5: Liverpool 1987-90

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

6: Everton 1984-87

In a heady three-year spell, Howard Kendall led Everton from mediocrity to two league titles, three FA Cup Finals (one victory) and the European Cup Winners’ Cup. Class ran right through this cheaply assembled team, from Neville Southall to the wonderful midfield quartet of Trevor Steven, Paul Bracewell, Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy.

7: Manchester United 1992-94

Yes they flopped in the Champions League, but Sir Alex Ferguson is not alone in regarding this as his favourite United team. With characters such as Peter Schmeichel, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, they were a fearsome lot, but they also played some marvellous stuff, with Eric Cantona a talismanic presence up front.

8: Arsenal 1997-99

Not quite as successful in trophy-winning terms as George Graham’s Arsenal, but their double triumph in their first full season under Arsène Wenger was as spectacular as it was unexpected. Wenger built on the foundations of Graham’s celebrated back four, with Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp and a young Nicolas Anelka bringing flair to Highbury at last.

9: Blackburn Rovers 1994-95

Nothing like as eye-catching as Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle but, backed by the wealth of Jack Walker and managed by Kenny Dalglish, they won the title with 89 points in 1995. They relied heavily on the goals of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but this unglamorous team also had an incredible work ethic and, crucially, perfect balance.

10: Newcastle United 1994-96

The only trophy-less team on the list, but Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle will live longer in the memory than Leeds United’s champions of 1992 or Liverpool’s cup treble winners of 2001. Epitomised by the flair of David Ginola, they captivated audiences across the country. Nor was their defensive record as bad as people seem to think.

I do agree with that list. Many of them were undoubtedly top sides.

Also, I need to say this, if there was to be a list of top 10 teams of the last 30-35 years, Ron Saunders' Villa side would have to be there. No question! 2 League Cups and a League title was what we won under him. Though he wasn't the manager when we won the European Cup and Super Cup, it was still the side he'd built.

but that statement above is utter shite danny.

QUOTE]

Why is it utter shite? Im not saying west brom are crap im just saying i dont know where to place them in the championship.

Whoa, havn't been in here for ages, let's get this season started!

And what better way to start than with a win over Man Utd in the Community Shield? As Villa rightly said it's always nice to see your team lift a trophy! I'm sure the Man Utd fans will have something to say about the second Chelsea goal..

are we going to bother with fantasy football this year. I can start a league if there's any interest?

bahaha we beat Norwich 7-1 today 7 fucking 1 and it was at Carrow road :awesome: Might as well just give us the league title now tbh. In all honestly I think this will be the finest moment of our season and we've shot our wad already. But oh well, nice to see Villa steal Beye from Hull, its like every side has decided to fuck Phil Brown off this transfer window, which is excellent.

Tell you what I was very shocked by that result, glad I was away at the weekend, the old man was probably fuming. Apparently the Norwich keeper had a shocker.

Whoa, havn't been in here for ages, let's get this season started!

And what better way to start than with a win over Man Utd in the Community Shield? As Villa rightly said it's always nice to see your team lift a trophy! I'm sure the Man Utd fans will have something to say about the second Chelsea goal..

I've never been one to celebrate the Community Shield, it effectively is a pre-season friendly after all.

are we going to bother with fantasy football this year. I can start a league if there's any interest?

I'd be up for it as per, even though I am bloody awful at fantasy football.

Edited by Ramar

So, can anyone explain how this works then?

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/sebreadyforliverpool100809.html

Never heard of that rule before. Looks a little bit like they've just invented it because Spurs have a bit of a defensive injury crisis. Anyone remember their club signing a player and having to wait for a ban they started at a previous club to expire?

How on earth can you serve a ban by not playing in a game which doesn't even involve your club? What kind of punishment's that?

Edited by BlueStar