NEurope
flameboy

Flameboy is leaving the country!

Nice one Adam!

I think it's great that your willing to go out and do something like that! Big thumbs up from me!

Hope u enjoy it!!!!

Oh btw i sent you a friend request on facebook. (thought i would mention it incase ur wondering who the fuck it is!!!!)

Fuck off , you say a lot of shite but thats out of line. I don't want to be percieved as some hero. I'm doing the job for own professional development. If I wanted to get forum respect for what I do I'd come on here posting every day about what I do for a living (which I'm kinda doing to prove my point) Unlike you I'd don't feel the need to come on a forum to make my e-penis bigger by flouting around a forum boasting and putting people down etc...

I've wanted to go travelling to africa for a very long time and am passionate about teaching so why shouldn't I say what I am up to on here a public forum where I have a number of friends who will be interested to know what I'm up to this summer.

Man I thought it was a bit more obvious this time, having got ya recently.:D

I think it's great what you're doing just like everyone else and it is very inspirational.

to clarify on my earlier post:

Apartheid is officially over. However, the social deprivation it caused is far from over, the Afrikaans whites are ingrained racists and....yeah basically it's pretty fucked up. If you ever go to a restaurant, for example, the only black person there is almost guaranteed to be the poor old man paid fuck all to stand watch on the car park while all the rich whites eat inside.

It's a bit of a system shock, really. Course, there's still loads to love about the place.

Like that poem I had to study, about Apartheid and how it hasn't really made a difference.:

Small round hard stones click

under my heels' date='

seeding grasses thrust

bearded seeds

into trouser cuffs, cans,

trodden on, crunch

in tall, purple-flowering,

amiable weeds.

District Six.

No board says it is:

but my feet know,

and my hands,

and the skin about my bones,

and the soft labouring of my lungs,

and the hot, white, inwards turning

anger of my eyes.

Brash with glass,

name flaring like a flag,

it squats

in the grass and weeds,

incipient Port Jackson trees:

new, up-market, haute cuisine,

guard at the gatepost,

whites only inn.

No sign says it is:

but we know where we belong.

I press my nose

to the clear panes, know,

before I see them, there will be

crushed ice white glass,

linen falls,

the single rose.

Down the road,

working man's cafe sells

bunny chows.

Take it with you, eat

it at a plastic table's top,

wipe your fingers on your jeans,

spit a little on the floor:

it's in the bone.

I back from the

glass,

boy again,

leaving small mean O

of small mean mouth.

Hands burn

for a stone, a bomb,

to shiver down the glass.

Nothing's changed.

[/quote']

*snip*

Yeah it did say on the website that its raining season from July-September, I'm there July/August. My dad seems to think rainy season means the odd mental shower..Is it worth investing in a set of waterproofs? Found one jacket and trousers for a tenner. Obviously know your in Oz so you may not know...

You really don't want to be outside when the rain hits during rainy season. If it's anything like west africa, then the rain will come down fast and heavy, and you will be left absolutely soaked.

And it rains heavily often. So yeah, you may wanna get some waterproofs.

So you are going holiday to work? :p

to clarify on my earlier post:

Apartheid is officially over. However, the social deprivation it caused is far from over, the Afrikaans whites are ingrained racists and....yeah basically it's pretty fucked up. If you ever go to a restaurant, for example, the only black person there is almost guaranteed to be the poor old man paid fuck all to stand watch on the car park while all the rich whites eat inside.

It's a bit of a system shock, really. Course, there's still loads to love about the place.

Just enjoy it. Every country has uncomfortable bits and bobs.

What I was about to say.

My family has a long history with South Africa, my...uncle's (by siring of a child) family live there (on the cusp of Mozambique, in the bush), and my mum's side moved there when she was young back when it was at the height of succes as a country. Also my godfather was arrested for trying to kidnap back his very young sister-in-law who was taken away by her estranged father. ::shrug:

Unfortunately it's not safe or stable at all, anymore. There are lovely traditions amongst the lowlifes like "Kill a white weekend", according to my what my family tell me.

But it's sad, since it seems like a beautiful place, rurally, at least.

See up until I read this could handle it...something about the wording freaks me out...

I'm kind of taking the attitude that I'm just as likely to get run over by a car here (perhaps even more so as I walk around with my ipod permantely fitted) as I am to get killed over there...You can't spend your life thinking about what ifs as otherwise you'll never get anywhere. Doesn't make it any less scary though.

Oh one other thing Rez you asked why Paris was so bad...it was the beginning of the slippery slope with regards to the break up my relationship. Although if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be going on this trip!

I've walked through Soweto, which probably would be classed as one of the more 'terrifying' regions of South Africa. You shouldn't really be worrying - obviously don't go walking alone through quiet areas, and if you do go somewhere like Soweto, it would be a damn good idea to take a guide.

I've walked through Soweto, which probably would be classed as one of the more 'terrifying' regions of South Africa. You shouldn't really be worrying - obviously don't go walking alone through quiet areas, and if you do go somewhere like Soweto, it would be a damn good idea to take a guide.

Yeah to be fair I will be alone very rarely I would say, living in a house with other volunteers right by the gorgeous beach as well! Plus have staff there to go to if I want to go off doing stuff they are there to sort out with locals or come with us etc...

Sounds very interesting. Good luck on the trip and enjoy yourself my friend.

Time has caught up on me pretty fast, this is mental I leave on Saturday and looks like I may have acquired a travel buddy as a girl from work has suddenly decided she wants to do it so she is perhaps joining me for part of the time.

How did I miss this when it first cropped up...? Regardless, it sounds awesome. I hope you have a great time over there :)