NEurope
flameboy

Flameboy is leaving the country!

Well sort of...for a bit... Today I have finally got my loan money through into my bank account so I am off travelling to South Africa for a month during the summer.

PORT%20ALFRED%20FROM%20SEA.JPG

For the most part I will be volunteering in Port Alfred (near Port Elizabeth) at a school for the disabled

http://www.africanimpact.com/volunteers/teaching-disabled/

So is kind of inline with what I am doing now for a living (work in a residential college for the blind) and represents some form of professional development.

Also plan to try and go to Kenya at some point to go to Gladhouses a football charity that was featured on Soccer AM, but trying to work out the logistics of that so unsure at the moment if I'm going to pull that off...

It's not actually for quite a while yet don't leave until 27th July as having to work it around the school holidays for work. but just thought I'd post because I'm so darn excited :yay::yay::yay::yay:

It's actually a pretty big thing for me I've not been on holiday for about 10 years and have only ever been to France and my last trip away was a 3 day jaunt in Paris with the then girlfriend and that didn't go to well.

That sounds amazing flameboy! I hope you have an awesome time over there! :)

South Africa is such a lovely country, I went there for a month over Christmas a few years ago. I have relatives there who work for the National Geographic, so we went everywhere. :) Hit me on MSN at some point, I'll recommend some places to go for you.

I will be, likely mostly via facebook and travelpod....people who havn't added me on facebook are more than welcome to...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506080186&ref=profile

I'm sat in hoping my delivery of some clothes and supplies etc... arrives before I leave for work! Very exciting getting all this gear...been taking photos of that which is a little bit sad, but got a new camera so its kind of to be expected!

Awesome dude.

South Africa is a stunningly beautiful place. I found it strange, socially though. I felt very awkward about the place when I was there.

Still, it's cool you're doing good work while you're there. Good shit :)

Whew South Africa means Hot hot HOT! Hope you are fully prepared. Will you be doing a hikes w/e through jungles while you are there?

That sounds absolutely amazing and you're doing it for a good cause! You'll love South Africa, I went there last summer and it was simply fantastic.

I can't wait till I've saved enough to be able to travel more.

Have fun :) Its winter down our half of the world at the moment, so you shouldnt find the heat to overbearing. :P Also our winters in the southern hemisphere are usually pretty dry, so you should have plenty of sunshine to enjoy! Prolly too cold though to be swimming at those lovely beaches in the photo :( Mind you, a crazy brit like urself might find the water warm... haha.

Im sure you'll have a great time :D

South Africa is such a lovely country, I went there for a month over Christmas a few years ago. I have relatives there who work for the National Geographic, so we went everywhere. :) Hit me on MSN at some point, I'll recommend some places to go for you.

Yeah next time I'm on MSN will have to chat!

Sounds awesome! I've always admired people who are so devoted to charity. :)

I must be mental already work for a charity and now paying to go do this!

Could you not wait another year?

Just a thought. :hmm:

With regards to footie? Actually thinking I might go again next year just for the football...

Awesome dude.

South Africa is a stunningly beautiful place. I found it strange, socially though. I felt very awkward about the place when I was there.

Still, it's cool you're doing good work while you're there. Good shit :)

How'd you mean? It does kinda concern me about the social side of things. Worried about interacting with locals and them not not knowing what to make of me and me being wary of them. I guess there will be the staff of African Impact and my fellow volunteers who will be there to though..

Whew South Africa means Hot hot HOT! Hope you are fully prepared. Will you be doing a hikes w/e through jungles while you are there?

Yep I am planning on going hiking etc...whilst I'm not working. Been buying more suitable clothes as all I own is jeans pretty much. Got combats and light linen trousers, things that dry easily, ordered a baselayer top as well helps regulate body temperature apparently. Tons of sun creme will have to bought, got myself a north face hat and some awesome aviator sunglasses to...

Have fun :) Its winter down our half of the world at the moment, so you shouldnt find the heat to overbearing. :P Also our winters in the southern hemisphere are usually pretty dry, so you should have plenty of sunshine to enjoy! Prolly too cold though to be swimming at those lovely beaches in the photo :( Mind you, a crazy brit like urself might find the water warm... haha.

Im sure you'll have a great time :D

Yeah it did say on the website that its raining season from July-September, I'm there July/August. My dad seems to think rainy season means the odd mental shower..Is it worth investing in a set of waterproofs? Found one jacket and trousers for a tenner. Obviously know your in Oz so you may not know...

I wouldn't put my feet there even if I got paid, I value my life.

Sounds like it will be an amazing experience, I'm really jealous but also chuffed for you :p Enjoy!

Dude, that looks sweet. Well done/good/luck etc.

I'm quite intrigued as to why Paris went badly?

What are you referring to?

I don't think he knows that people in Africa don't act like the people from Resi 5.

And Flameboy I think it's selfish that you want to be perceived as a hero by helping the poor in Africa 'ooh look at me I'm saving lives'. You're only doing that to get forum respect.

What are you referring to?

It isn't the safest of places. There is no regard for human life among criminals and crimes that would just be assault or robbery over here, usually ends in murder there.

It isn't the safest of places. There is no regard for human life among criminals and crimes that would just be assault or robbery over here, usually ends in murder there.

What I was about to say.

My family has a long history with South Africa, my...uncle's (by siring of a child) family live there (on the cusp of Mozambique, in the bush), and my mum's side moved there when she was young back when it was at the height of succes as a country. Also my godfather was arrested for trying to kidnap back his very young sister-in-law who was taken away by her estranged father. ::shrug:

Unfortunately it's not safe or stable at all, anymore. There are lovely traditions amongst the lowlifes like "Kill a white weekend", according to my what my family tell me.

But it's sad, since it seems like a beautiful place, rurally, at least.

I don't think he knows that people in Africa don't act like the people from Resi 5.

And Flameboy I think it's selfish that you want to be perceived as a hero by helping the poor in Africa 'ooh look at me I'm saving lives'. You're only doing that to get forum respect.

Fuck off , you say a lot of shite but thats out of line. I don't want to be percieved as some hero. I'm doing the job for own professional development. If I wanted to get forum respect for what I do I'd come on here posting every day about what I do for a living (which I'm kinda doing to prove my point) Unlike you I'd don't feel the need to come on a forum to make my e-penis bigger by flouting around a forum boasting and putting people down etc...

I've wanted to go travelling to africa for a very long time and am passionate about teaching so why shouldn't I say what I am up to on here a public forum where I have a number of friends who will be interested to know what I'm up to this summer.