NEurope
Caris

The App Store Thread

I recommend the following!

national rail app: travelled to bristol over the weekend and I just used that to track my train, find alternate routes, which platform, delays etc.. planned journeys.. it's perfect!! I even found out my train was cancelled via the app BEFORE it got announced to the passengers. I trust it 100% :) well worth the 4.99.

whatsapp: free messages to anyone with blackberry or iphone as long as you have internet, share contacts, pictures, location, text with push notifications and sound clips. 59p!!

Skype: especially now that over 3g is free (for now) I have been using to text my gf, normal cost to EU = 24p per text from three. 7p from skype and I can call her cheaper via the app like i would normally using my phone :)

Qik: live video streaming and for free! always handy! Kinda like a one way facetime :)

National Rail

Urbanspoon

RedLaser

Tapatalk (there's a free Read Only version to try)

MoviesNow

DC Comics

Marvel Comics

Dropbox

LandFormer

Oddy Smog

Can definitely recommend that lot.

Have you tried flixster app? Just wondered why Movies Now is be better than it (it's free), if so then definite buy!

national rail app: travelled to bristol over the weekend and I just used that to track my train, find alternate routes, which platform, delays etc.. planned journeys.. it's perfect!! I even found out my train was cancelled via the app BEFORE it got announced to the passengers. I trust it 100% :) well worth the 4.99.

The live tracking of the National Rail App is amazing. I was on a simple, not-that-important train from Manchester to Marple. It was stuck just before Romiley for a minute. The live tracking updated to say that it was expected a minute late. Definitely worth £3.99. It's quite fun explaining about delays to other people way before the guy sitting in the station comes out and tells us. They think it's magic.

Oh, and if you have an iPhone 4 then I'd recommend Fring. You get video calls (WiFi/3G) with anyone using Android or Symbian phones. It also does normal calls and chats.

The chat is also compatible with MSN/WLM and Facebook Chat.

At 59p! I'm laughing at the money saved :P <3 auto search of contacts!

I just use YAK. Seems to do the same thing.... Also, all contracts now offer infinite texts so is this best for pay as you go types?

I love the Hipstamatic app.

Does anyone else with Polarize have a problem where when they take a photo in the app it doesn't turn it into a Polaroid? I can do the effect with pictures from my camera roll so it's not bad but it's kind of annoying.

Things is a fantastic to do app, although it is a bit expensive, the same as the excellent Beejive IM. Weather Pro is great if you want a bit more weather info than the Apple Weather app.

Thanks Daft for the Pulse tip. Really great app! And it works with multi tasking. Getting rid of my Engadget, Tuaw apps now.

I'm gonna get it for iPad as well.

THat pulse thing. Is it just an RSS feed? How does it work? I'm really naive with it all and never used an RSS feed in my life. Isn't it just like twitter?

Not really, I don't think. From what I can tell you add a website and it lists the stories...my God that sounds lame. All I can say is it's awesome. It links directly to the article. I've never used RSS.

It looks slick. Can't really go wrong for the price.

Hmmm, sort of sounds tempting. My twitter feed is basically websites and topics I like which just links articles, I'm a bit worried it'll be a flashier version of that. But if it's cheap, it doesn't hurt! Cheers!

Just downloaded it, it is just an rss feed. Annoyingly, most of the ones I put don't have images so pretty dull...

I don't qute get how to add your own. Seems you just search and it finds ones for you.... I might try adding some to google reader (which I dont have) and see if that makes it easier

I just use YAK. Seems to do the same thing.... Also, all contracts now offer infinite texts so is this best for pay as you go types?

Ahh the thing is with whatsapp you dont need any ID. Anyone that has it is automatically shown up!! and as far as I can tell Yak is only for iphone whereas Whatsapp is for blackberry as well! so you can spam your BB friends plus it just has more functions like contact sharing, location sharing, custom backgrounds, custom notifications, push notifications, 2 min soundbites can be shared as well as pictures from camera roll and camera.

It's really only good if you have a decent internet bolt on, i.e. not paying per mb. Then you should be fine!

Good if you always contact one person or just chat crap to another or likes sharing photos without paying through the nose for mms!

-----------

Also recommend FlightTrack Pro - for anyone takes planes or knows people that takes them. Tracks the flight, gives you delay statistics, weather forecast, boarding notifications and taking off landing etc (Almost the national rail app) very nice

Hmmm, sort of sounds tempting. My twitter feed is basically websites and topics I like which just links articles, I'm a bit worried it'll be a flashier version of that. But if it's cheap, it doesn't hurt! Cheers!

Just downloaded it, it is just an rss feed. Annoyingly, most of the ones I put don't have images so pretty dull...

I don't qute get how to add your own. Seems you just search and it finds ones for you.... I might try adding some to google reader (which I dont have) and see if that makes it easier

The sites I have on it are kind of bloggy like Kotaku, io9, BoingBoing, engadget, Gizmodo, SkySport (although no pics), the Playstation Eu blog and Boston Big Picture. Before I had apps for Kotaku and engadget and hasd to actually check the sites for the other ones so it's pretty good for me.

It's kind of weird how some have pictures and some don't.

Anyone got the Hipstamatic app? I think it's my favourite. I bought all the extra lenses and the photos just look slick. Only gripe is it takes a bit too long to develop the high quality option photos. Overall, it is amazing. Pretty much blows any compact camera out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Daft

Have you tried flixster app? Just wondered why Movies Now is be better than it (it's free), if so then definite buy!

Never tired it. The iPad version of Movies Now was on one of Gizmodo's Apps of the Week lists recently and it sounded cool so I picked up the iPhone version.

Is that hipstamatic awesome then? Tempted by it though I only have a 3G currently (not for long) do you think it will still be worth it or shall I wait?

What makes it so good? Does it take amazing photography or is it a bit gimmicky?

I got it the other day and it's one of the best apps I've ever bought.

I was surprised by Hipstamatic, I didn't expect the pictures to look as good as they do. On 3G it will probably be good as long as you're taking pics in great light.

Yeah, I've had SO much fun with Hipstamatic. Definitely a killer app for me. I even bought all the extra lenses and flashes (Couldn't resist for 59p). The photos look amazing and you can get them in high quality (although they do take a fair amount longer to print, which is kind of annoying).

You might aswell also get Polarize since it's free. I love turning photos into Polaroids and tagging them (allows you to write something up to 14 characters long on the large white bit at the bottom of the picture - labelling photos is pretty fun).

These two apps a so slick.

TV Guide is out for iPad, looks amazing.

Got that on my iPhone (and used it on my Touch before). Really solid app and looks great since it's been updated for the new screen.

Edited by Daft

THANK YOU!!! My sister told me to get this app yesterday but for the life of me I could not remember what the Hell it was called.

I've got Scrabble (which I love), though.

Got to say, been using Pulse for a while now and I'm not really feeling it. The thing is, so many of the feeds have no photos and for a lot of them i have to tap a link to read the whole story, in an 'in app' web browser. Sure I could just go to the web page in safari if I had to do that. Plus I'm waiting ages for the feeds to update, and then for the story to load. I think the Engadget app was actually faster than this, so I'm considering moving back.

Helsing's Fire is ace. 59p, everyone should pick it up.

Good to hear! Saw it on Giz on Thursday, looked good so I bought it. Not got around to trying it yet tho.