NEurope
mcj metroid

That nintendo game you just didn't like

My thread titles are always useless so i'll explain what I mean here..

There is always one nintendo franchise or series, game. that even the biggest nintendo fan didn't like or don't get.. I mean some people don't like pokemon, Some people don't like metroid prime(darksnowman).

Let's try keep this within games released on a nintendo platform rather than saying halo 500 times..

Now I'm first of all going to say I didn't like the first pikmin at all.

1:PIKMIN 1

never played the second one but almost all of my complaints like time limit etc have been addresssed but it looks better and has more variety but the first one while a good idea was.. annoying to me in a lot of ways.. The pikmin kept getting stuck in wall for me...and I think the camera is trash.

I will say though for all nintend's lack of options this is the fastest game I have ever seen to load to the title screen and the music is great.. So it;s not all bad.. I also got it rather cheaply too..

2: pokemon(from ruby/sapphire onwards)..

now I Like pokemon and I know a lot of you will disagree with what I'm saying here but it hasn't changed enough for me to like it... The jump between red and gold was so large I was still hocked but lost interest at ruby.. and the diamond was ok....

But it's a series I don't get how it's still getting over 9.0's? I'd also like to say that almost every other game that wasn't part of the series was balls lately..

I remember the spinoffs usedto be good like pokemon puzzle leaque,pokemon pinball, trading card game.. stadium... None of them are quite as good now..

I don't dislike pokemon I like a lot of things about it but the pokemon devs are the laziest I have ever seen.

3: Any final fantasy game..

I love chrono trigger but that seems to be the end of the jrpg love for me.. I don't get them.. Takes hours to get into them and the story never grabs me... i have played final fantasy X, rings of fate, final fantasy x-2(very briefly)

I admit I haven't played the best in the series but.. no not my thing..

Seems to be all I can think of for now

what are yours :D

Sim City count?

ha anything on an nntendo console ya why not.. Im not fussy at all :)

Ooh err. Pikmin? SimCity? Mana series? All top notch! :heh: Now, the Metroid series (bar Fusion!)... I could predictably tell you all about the faults in those games.

Most of the games you guys are discussing arent Nintendo games

Mario Kart - I really can't stand it in the slightest, any version. Just can't see the fun in being stopped by a weapon.

Metroid Prime - To be fair, I liked a lot of this game, I just thought the fine-tuning was wrong.

Game series I dislike that are either made by Nintendo or commonly appear on Nintendo consoles:

Metroid:

Both the 2D and 3D iterations. I don't find the 2D games that fun at all, and the 3D games focus heavily on platforming, which is silly for an FPS. You can't even see your feet! I say this having pretty much all but completed Metroid Prime, as well. The map screen really annoyed me too, as well gathering up the artefacts.

Castlevania:

I don't get this. I really don't. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

Mega Man:

Don't get me started. Picture my friend bringing his Wii round with Mega Man 9 and boasting about how great the game is. I'd never really played a Mega Man game before this. He proceeds to start the game, only to be mercilessly killed repeatedly over minor platforming technicalities. His response is to immediately retry the level. Twenty minutes later, still restarting from the same point, I ask him if he's having fun. "Yes" is his response. He then explains how repeating the game until you don't die is where the fun lies, to which I explain how I prefer games that take me a while to complete due to progressing through the game content, and not repeating the same tedious section over and over.

Every Pokemon game since Gold and Silver:

If you think there's ever been anything to the Pokemon games since these two then you've clearly been fooled. Pokemon Blue and Red delivered something phenomenal, with sequels Gold and Silver seriously shaking the mechanics up. Every game thereafter has included a shoddy mongoloid roster of new Pokemon and tired old gameplay with superficial changes.

Punch-Out.

I don't really like sports based games much, I don't really like sports in general either. I guess the Mario Sports games could be on my list also.

Only about half, but still true.

I know this isn't Nintendo, but every FIFA, Pro Evo and football manager game. It's the exact same thing over and over, just with different names. And I daresay there are more older names than new additions.

Mega Man:

Don't get me started. Picture my friend bringing his Wii round with Mega Man 9 and boasting about how great the game is. I'd never really played a Mega Man game before this. He proceeds to start the game, only to be mercilessly killed repeatedly over minor platforming technicalities. His response is to immediately retry the level. Twenty minutes later, still restarting from the same point, I ask him if he's having fun. "Yes" is his response. He then explains how repeating the game until you don't die is where the fun lies, to which I explain how I prefer games that take me a while to complete due to progressing through the game content, and not repeating the same tedious section over and over.

I can see why it didn't grab you. IMO, the fun in Megaman is that it offers you different options in case a certain level frustrates you. Trying the same level over and over again is discarding the other options.

As for the thread:

-I'm not into Starfox/Pilotwings at all. Not my thing;

-Mario Kart is a bit overrated;

-The Mana series is severely overrated;

-Castlevania has been getting stale (though I hear Order of Ecclesia shakes things up);

-FPSes not named Metroid or Timesplitters quickly lose my interest;

-A Link to the Past. Seriously. When I don't like something in a Zelda game, I can easily point it out, but not here. I just didn't like it;

-The same goes for Super Mario RPG. I like the other Mario RPGs, but the SNES one was unplayable for me.

-The Mana series is severely overrated

Actually, most anyone will tell you that the Mana series is basically average and below average crap ever since Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3(SoM Japan only sequel).

The operative word is Series, as a series Mana should just die, but as just SoM (I can't speak on SD3) well....you can have your own opinion on that one, but I and a fair few others love it. I wouldn't say it's the best of anything except maybe co-op.

Jonnas, I kinda agree with some of what you're saying, yet disagree at the same time :s

I severely disagree about Link To The Past, I can only assume you're on some sort of narcotic which would make you think that.

Actually, most anyone will tell you that the Mana series is basically average and below average crap ever since Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3(SoM Japan only sequel).

The operative word is Series, as a series Mana should just die, but as just SoM (I can't speak on SD3) well....you can have your own opinion on that one, but I and a fair few others love it. I wouldn't say it's the best of anything except maybe co-op.

When I say Series, I include the ones that are held as the best. So that includes SoM and SD3.

Jonnas, I kinda agree with some of what you're saying, yet disagree at the same time :s

I severely disagree about Link To The Past, I can only assume you're on some sort of narcotic which would make you think that.

'Tis fair. I love the 2D Zeldas, but not that one. My brain probably works differently.

'Tis fair. I love the 2D Zeldas, but not that one. My brain probably works differently.

Did you play it on the SNES when it was the newest Zelda? I loved it back then, but it's worn off on me a little bit every generation since, to the point where I was actually bored playing it on the GBA.

It's a great game and it's aged well in almost every way, but I don't find it stimulating anymore. I'm not sure if I've played it too much, the GBA version is a lot worse or whatever.

When I say Series, I include the ones that are held as the best. So that includes SoM and SD3.

Obviously a series will include the best, but saying the series is overrated when it isn't is wrong. Saying that those best games are overrated is (wrong IMO) your opinion. As a series, nearly anyone will tell you it's in the pooper. If you think in the pooper is still overrated for the series you must hate them with such a passion that you sacrifice the diskc/cartridges to appease the video game gods.

Did you play it on the SNES when it was the newest Zelda? I loved it back then, but it's worn off on me a little bit every generation since, to the point where I was actually bored playing it on the GBA.

It's a great game and it's aged well in almost every way, but I don't find it stimulating anymore. I'm not sure if I've played it too much, the GBA version is a lot worse or whatever.

I played the GBA version, but I don't think that has got to do with it. 2D Zeldas are much better on handhelds, anyway.

I just dunno. Maybe it's really the age.

Obviously a series will include the best, but saying the series is overrated when it isn't is wrong. Saying that those best games are overrated is (wrong IMO) your opinion. As a series, nearly anyone will tell you it's in the pooper. If you think in the pooper is still overrated for the series you must hate them with such a passion that you sacrifice the diskc/cartridges to appease the video game gods.

There's not much to think about it. I was mainly talking about the series' general gameplay.

Zelda wouldn't be what it is today without A Link To The Past, you ungrateful sods. Now apologise and kiss my feet.

doesn't matter. I really meant any game on an nintendo system..

I suppose the biggest one is Super Mario Sunshine - although I'm still convinced that it's a terrible game and not something I just didn't like. Games I simply don't like include Pokémon, Pilotwings, Wave Race, 1080, Super Mario World, Mario Kart DS, GBA and 64 (I prefer Diddy Kong Racing and Konami Krazy Racers).

I suppose the biggest one is Super Mario Sunshine - although I'm still convinced that it's a terrible game and not something I just didn't like.

I agree, there's just something Meh about it.

Haha, there's this guy in my school who's sort of segregated from the 'normal' people who doesn't really talk much but I once caught him talking (very rare) about videogames and he said how Galaxy was an overrated disappointment but Sunshine was the best 3D Mario. So I had to say that I almost agreed. I said 64>Sunshine>Galaxy, he said Sunshine>64>Galaxy.

He said that 64 was just nostalgia and I guess he was partly right but I maintain it was the best.

Mario Kart Double Dash

Im not sure how u can fuck Mario Kart up, but Nintendo did it with this one. Glad they got back on track with the Wii game.