NEurope
mcj metroid

That nintendo game you just didn't like

I can't quite choose between Sonic and Mario to be honest. I like them both for different reasons. Neither really trumps the other.

As for gameplay....I've never played A rayman title other than a demo for number 2 on DC, but I did just watch the first level of the first game, and it looked terribly unfun. .

lol funny you should mention tat.. the first level is silly.. You have no powerups at all.. and the levels lasts about a second.. you get the punch power in the third level i think.. so you have to dodge everything until then..

rayman keeps getting better the further you get.. you get the helicopter and run.

Sorry, but I gotta argue Raymans side here. It truly is a fantastic game, one that constantly had me coming back for more. I love it to pieces, probably my favourite PS1 game.

As for Sonic vs Mario, Sonic takes it again. Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K are simply sublime games.

those sonic games are fantastic but I would never say they are better than super mario world and 3.. but god they are so different I hold both series so closely.. should be noted that they are the ONLY sonic games I like also... rush just lost everything these games had.

lol funny you should mention tat.. the first level is silly.. You have no powerups at all.. and the levels lasts about a second.. you get the punch power in the third level i think.. so you have to dodge everything until then..

rayman keeps getting better the further you get.. you get the helicopter and run.

Hmm the video went on for 7 and a half minutes, and he did get the Power Punch.

Play Rayman 2, I swear it's brilliant and you would love it if you picked it up. Had the PS2 version and it's just so good.

I struggle to understand what was so good about Super Mario World...Yeah it was pretty solid but it's just not as enjoyable as the better versions of Rayman. Worth getting both admittedly.

should be noted that they are the ONLY sonic games I like also... rush just lost everything these games had.

What didn't you like 'bout Rush?

haha it was a very tough game.. It was also very random in parts.. But never was a game so much fun for finding secrets in.

See, now I'm tempted to buy it again... But I know that I might semi-regret it, as I did with Super Monkey Ball. I bought that on release and it pissed me off so much I took it back.

Do it it's seriously brilliant. I completed Super Monkey Ball on hard :) Both awesome games.

Well I did buy Monkey Ball again a few years back for a tenner off Play, mainly just for Monkey Billiards.

Billiards was the worst one! Was all about monkey target/fight/golf

What didn't you like 'bout Rush?

See, now I'm tempted to buy it again... But I know that I might semi-regret it, as I did with Super Monkey Ball. I bought that on release and it pissed me off so much I took it back.

See there really isn't anything wrong with rush... Just all opinion with me.. i don't like the music, I think the graphics are a little souless(same as I felt with NSMB)

Needs way more levels and way less branching paths..

Its way more about speed and attitude nowthan it ever was in the 90's.

it's too fast for it's own good and a lot of time because of this you fall into bottomless pits.

But it was a nice effort..And better than the sonic advance games anyway.

Monkey ball is a fun game very frustrating and almost pointless without multiplayer.. and don't listen to anyone super monkey ball 2 is actually better :D Just for monkey target alone..

the ps2 and xbox deluxe port was one of the worst ports I have ever seen for a game avoid it.

Hmm the video went on for 7 and a half minutes, and he did get the Power Punch.

well yes :) the first level is about 10 seconds long.. second about 3 minutes and then you instantly get the punch off the fairy..

You need to revisit that world and get the cages that you could get without the punch.. gives it a metroid feeling about it.. backtracking if you will but In a fun way i think.. It's a tough game though I took a long time as a kid to beat it.

It's not like mario where the secrets are optional..In rayman you NEED to get all the cages to get to the final boss.. there is no full ending and 100% completion you either do it fully or nothing :)

Lies! Monkey Ball 2 was shite. Lost everything that made the first game good (apart from target - don't see how it is that much better) because of gimmicky single player levels and crappy minigames.

Get out of your own thread.

At least you like Rayman.

metroid prime.

I hated FINDING everything, always getting lost and it just seemed boring.

Far too confusing.

Lies! Monkey Ball 2 was shite. Lost everything that made the first game good (apart from target - don't see how it is that much better) because of gimmicky single player levels and crappy minigames.

QFT

Monkey Ball 1 was full of skill-requiring levels, whereas MB2 was littered with levels where you had to just find out the trick to it (often a play and pause button in many levels, for instance). MB1 target was also far better, as MB2 tried to complicate it all and didn't have the same feel to it.

Played them both to death, and they really are fantastic games.

well ok it had it's disadvantages and stuff..

It was definetly more luck based.. especially in multiplayer race mode.. the stupid missle and what not..

rowing was terrible........ Ya i guess as a game goes The first one was better but monkey target is THAT damn good :D

QFT

MB1 target was also far better, as MB2 tried to complicate it all and didn't have the same feel to it.

God I hate when people say that .HOW is the target better in one.. you have to TAKE turns..a pointless weather system and its too good damn fast..

in 2 there was a bit of strategy.. working out the best way to go faster over your opponent ... also playing with items and without items made for completely different experiences..

Nah 2 improved on every mini game one had.. I do agree the play and pause button were annoying though.. and They left out the similtaneous one player in teh first game...

No way, Target was great in 1. I don't remember the one in 2 for multiplayer, they just simplified it a bit. Never really tried the second one in target multi because I sold it after a few days. Did it still have he buoys for mega pointage? Remember getting my first 1500 point landing :D

MB2: Monkey Fight stages sucked ass, football was shit, rowing I'd rather gouge out my own eyes etc etc.

well ok it had it's disadvantages and stuff..

It was definetly more luck based.. especially in multiplayer race mode.. the stupid missle and what not..

rowing was terrible........ Ya i guess as a game goes The first one was better but monkey target is THAT damn good :D

God I hate when people say that .HOW is the target better in one.. you have to TAKE turns..a pointless weather system and its too good damn fast..

in 2 there was a bit of strategy.. working out the best way to go faster over your opponent ... also playing with items and without items made for completely different experiences..

Nah 2 improved on every mini game one had.. I do agree the play and pause button were annoying though.. and They left out the similtaneous one player in teh first game...

Again, MBT1 is far more down the skill (power-ups weren't everywhere and gaining power-ups required you to go for bananas rather than targets), and the points system isn't bloated. To land on the real money you have to have great skill (try the cork), and you can easily get rid of the wind with just 1 banana each turn. You have to build up for power ups, whereas in Target 2 they were just idly floating in the sky. Plus 2 tacced on pointless things such as multiple balls, which made the whole thing more gimmicky and less skill-based.

Regarding turns - this was much better as it caused all focus to fall on the person playing and allow maximum concentration, and they couldn't have their run ruined by a second player. If you wanted to do a perfect run, totally dependent on your skill, you wouldn't want a random factor such as a second player. Turns are the way it should have always been.

Rest of the mini games: all pretty much shit, so it wouldn't really matter whether they were improved or not. Except maybe for a bit of Fight, but that was easily more fun in 1.

Edited by Sheikah

I can't stand Metroid. Only one I've ever gotten fully through is Hunters on DS and even that was a trek for me. It just seems like such a boring and lifeless franchise with an inadequate backstory. I'm hoping Team Ninja can make it decent, the trailer for Other M did impress me.

I can't stand Metroid. Only one I've ever gotten fully through is Hunters on DS and even that was a trek for me. It just seems like such a boring and lifeless franchise with an inadequate backstory. I'm hoping Team Ninja can make it decent, the trailer for Other M did impress me.

I hate you.. everything about that post was wrong ha.. even EVER gotten through hunters is wrong :D..

you're just.... wrong

Hunters was great for online, I remember being awesome at it, to put it lightly. But yeah I think I played a few people on here including you MCJ, was a good old bash.

I don't think you realise how much depth there is to the lore in metroid. I was a sucker for scanning everything, even little scratches on a Chozo's little finger.

haha I definely played some people in metroid.. i was terrible at it.. Never really tried on-line since.. friend codes puts me off ha.. plus since mario kart and metroid there ain't been much.

Another vote for Mario Kart Double Dash. There are plenty (Nintendo) games I don't like, but there are few I actually dispise. I almost want to destroy my monitor thinking of it. The controls were off, the feel of the controls were off, and the tracks.. God damn. That baby Mario & Luigi track? Argh.. Whoops, there goes my monitor.

I should've gone for the Resident Evil pack back then, but I really wanted a silver Cube. Oh well. Makes a nice coaster I guess.

Yeah, Pikmin here too. For about the same reasons Mcj Metroid posted.

Ooh err. Pikmin? SimCity? Mana series? All top notch! :heh: Now, the Metroid series (bar Fusion!)... I could predictably tell you all about the faults in those games.

Feel free to do so!

Another vote for Mario Kart Double Dash. There are plenty (Nintendo) games I don't like, but there are few I actually dispise. I almost want to destroy my monitor thinking of it. The controls were off, the feel of the controls were off, and the tracks.. God damn. That baby Mario & Luigi track? Argh.. Whoops, there goes my monitor.

What I wasn't a big fan of, was that it was like every character had been dipped in varnish, they were unnaturally shiny.

However I seem to be the only fan of Daisy. I would constantly switch her around with the other driver [normally Baby Weegi (I love his voice)] just to her utter the immortal phrase "Hi I'm Daisy!"

It's funny because DD was my first MK game and the reason I bought it for the cube, was great fun and I only really have good memories of it.