NEurope
Shorty

Working 9 to 5, 5 days a Week

Does anybody here do it? How is it? Can you cope? Do you miss your friends/partner etc?

I have just accepted an offer of a job working 8.5 hours a day (plus an hour's travel) - from the moment they made me the offer I've been really uncertain about it, it's going to be a major shock to the system, to go from Uni (my last semester I was in about 4.5 hours a week) to a full time job. I'm going to miss my girlfriend a lot and I'll need to sleep early. I'll go from having several months a year holiday to 20 days. The money starts off quite good and gets better but I'm not sure it justifies all the time lost.

One possibility is to take this job for as long as possible, gaining skills and saving money, before possibly starting to work from home. That's pretty much the dream, now.

So does anyone else work this many hours? Does anyone get away with significantly less? Is anyone else terrified of full time employment? Or do you just want to discuss the way you lose half your entire life to it?

Edited by Shorty
that was a bit dramatic....

working nine to five?

..what a way to make a living!

*cough*

i do shift work right now. i miss the 9-5 gig... days went really quickly because they were nice and structured. shifts are ok - evening shifts make me feel like i've had a day off :smile:

Does anybody here do it? How is it? Can you cope? Do you miss your friends/partner etc?

I have just accepted an offer of a job working 8.5 hours a day (plus an hour's travel) - from the moment they made me the offer I've been really uncertain about it, it's going to be a major shock to the system, to go from Uni (my last semester I was in about 4.5 hours a week) to a full time job. I'm going to miss my girlfriend a lot and I'll need to sleep early. I'll go from having several months a year holiday to 20 days. The money starts off quite good and gets better but I'm not sure it justifies all the time lost.

One possibility is to take this job for as long as possible, gaining skills and saving money, before possibly starting to work from home. That's pretty much the dream, now.

So does anyone else work this many hours? Does anyone get away with significantly less? Is anyone else terrified of full time employment? Or do you just want to discuss the way you lose half your entire life to it?

I am pissing my self reading this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I dont mean to cause offence, but that dosent sound anything out of the ordinary. Even as a civi i used to work 8.30-5 mon - fri and 8.30 til 12 on a sat with a 40 min drive each way.

I would prefer to work 9-5 for 5 days compared to the 5/6/7/8pm start til 11/12ish for 4 days I do.

9-5?! I'm lucky if I manage 8-6!

It's a shock to the system at first but you soon get used to it. Uni is very very laid back in comparison to real life but the vast majority of people manage it ok.

Money will obviously be way more than as a student. I wouldn't worry too much, once you're in the swing of things you'll probably find it quite enjoyable/rewarding.

How can you cope? That bit made me laugh lol.

To be fair I work at school 9-3.30 so its a bit nicer, the thing is approach your day with structures. Don't think oh crap I have 8 hours think Im doing this for an hour then this then its lunch your day will fly by.

My condolences Shorty!

Ive been in the same boat for years now except my hours are 3-11, 5 days a week.

Consider yourself fortunate to have a full-time job, but i strongly recommend saving as much possible and maintain an inexpensive lifestyle for as long as possible so you dont get trapped.

Im not too fond of the 'missing half your life' aspect of it but if its a job you actually enjoy, you're in good shape

I am pissing my self reading this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I dont mean to cause offence, but that dosent sound anything out of the ordinary. Even as a civi i used to work 8.30-5 mon - fri and 8.30 til 12 on a sat with a 40 min drive each way.

I think you're misunderstanding, I'm not claiming "oh my, I'm starting an insane number of hours, pity me", I'm simply asking: what is the transition like? Do you still feel like you still have free time? Do you wish you could get out of it? - Also the general issue of, do we work too much in our lives?

It sucks but I see it as an extra 2 hours at school. Some days I can't wait until 5pm and often I'll be really moody during the day but second it hits 4.55 I'm on cloud nine. It can be tough going especially doing stuff like web development. Sometimes there isn't much to do so I often spend time just pretending to do work. But we have a laugh. I'm also pretty much the youngest in the organisation so its taken me a while to build up some respectability.

Also see each new job as a spring board. Although you are working for them, see it as an opportunity to gain skills and boost yourself higher.

Edited by Ten10

I think you're misunderstanding, I'm not claiming "oh my, I'm starting an insane number of hours, pity me", I'm simply asking: what is the transition like? Do you still feel like you still have free time? Do you wish you could get out of it? - Also the general issue of, do we work too much in our lives?

On those issues,

The transition isn't too tough, you'll notice the difference in the evenings by being a bit knackered, but overall you'll be too busy during the day to really take note. By the time you sit back and think about it you'll be used to it anyway.

Yes you still have loads of free time, it's only a 3rd of 5 days in the week. Still got weekends and holidays for other stuff.

I'd love to get out of it, unfortunately I need (a lot more) money before I can.

I don't think we work too much, unless I had so much money I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted I think I'd get bloody bored not being at work.

Its good cause you have less time but more money I prefer this cause I can buy better stuff and really appreciate it when I'm not working.

evening shifts make me feel like i've had a day off :smile:

So true, I work mostly afternoon until early evening shifts so having most of the day to do whatever - usually naff all but meh - it feels good. :)

Ok well it was the can you cope comment that did it.

I worked everyday for four months (by the end of this i was nearly a broken man) some days working probably about 18 hours.

Trust me, it could be a lot worse! I leave for work at seven each morning, and get back anywhere between half five and half seven, depending on how much work I have to do. At least a couple of evenings a week after getting home, I have another two or three hours of work, and then there's usually anything between around two and eight hours at home each weekend.

Sometimes I long for a 9-5 job...

Think of it like school in your youth, with a coupla hours slammed at the end.

My last job was 9-5 and I did find it very oppressive, but that was mainly because I wasn't getting anything out of it besides money. That's no way to live, in my opinion, because if you've no love for what you're doing then it can be hard to wring much enjoyment from the day.

Pffft, these people are mental.

If you can afford it, then work part time. Its as simple as that. 9-5 (or similar) is the worst thing in the world (unless you enjoy the job).

Kiss goodbye to your life basically. Living for the weekend, and then that goes ridiculously quickly.

Think of it like school in your youth, with a coupla hours slammed at the end.

And you don't get a week/two weeks off every six weeks, nor six weeks off in Summer.

I´ve been working summer jobs from 8-4 or 5 (depends) for the past 3 years.

I usually go to sleep between 12-1 so that´s like 7-8 hours of free time and that

is enough for me....

I work 1am to 7pm 6 days a week, self emplyed. You will cope.

What? Thats insane what does that mean! lol Do you work in your sleep?

I do 8am til 4:30pm Monday to Thursday and 8am til 4pm on Friday. Time goes quick like that.

I did do the 9-5 routine once, it does seem time stands still in places doing it like that and it seems longer, but it is the same amount of time.