NEurope
The Lillster

Comparisions: Nintendo Motion Controls VS Sony Motion Controls

you created a thread with the words comparison..... followed by nintendo and sony..

comparison=debate.... debate=argument and argument= system war

well sometihng like that the idea is when you mention nintendo and sony in one thread title expect trouble :D

but I don't think anything in this thread has any system war written over it.. besides the word wang :)

so stop being a fanny :)

MY OPINION!

Comparison leads to debate. Debate leads to argument. Argument leads to syyysteeem waaaar...

yoda.jpg

Comparison leads to debate. Debate leads to argument. Argument leads to syyysteeem waaaar...

yoda.jpg

Funny but true.

Vitality will outsell them all. Even if its creepy.

Sony's has too much stuff to it. Sony's solution is the most expensive but also has the most to it. Design is hardly final. Newer patents suggest anything to changing how it works.

Camera gives possibilities for other stuff. It could tell if the guy was kneeling in the vid and voice control is already being used in some PS3 games like Singstar. Sony already have games, studios and experience for motion control unlike MS.

Out 2010. Long way off while motionplus is on the market.

Sales wise i dont expect much as Sony cant really go casual unlike Nintendo or MS for a long while. Though ports of games from Wii is going to be easy. Development kits already have had free features added to port Wii games. This means extra sales for some games. Good for both Wii and PS3. Wii wont lose out no matter what.

I've been reading the patents, but the Sony one seems a lot more complicated. It probably isn't but because i'm not very good at maths, that's the way it seems to me.

Also if we're going down the system wars territory, it's not as if Nintendo can't make another upgrade to the Wii Remote.

But I think it's more to do with the Wii itself, that's keeping Nintendo from outdoing Sony's motion controls.

Also what i've read is, if you watching someone else play a 1:1 M+ game, you will notice the lag but when your playing yourself you won't notice it. So all this talk about Sony wand being better because theres no lag, doesn't make any difference if you don't notice it when playing with M+.

Edited by The Lillster

Wii M+ and Sony's solution are practically the same. The main difference is Sony's pointing method is probably a bit more robust' date=' using the high quality camera of PS Eye rather than the slightly poorer cameras incorporated into the Wii Remote.[/quote']HIGH QUALITY!?

we're calling HQ to a 640x480 pixel camera?

Wiimote has a 1280x960 pixel camera. meaning if the camera is the basis for the aiming accuracy... then the Wiimote has the means to do 720p (of course, the hardware won't) with pixel per pixel accuracy, whereas the PS Eye can't.

That said I dunno how they're calculating the controller position in there, but PSEye is not HQ.

I'd say it's probably not as robust, at best it'll be the same. (and I dunno how they'll do that)

HIGH QUALITY!?

we're calling HQ to a 640x480 pixel camera?

Wiimote has a 1280x960 pixel camera. meaning if the camera is the basis for the aiming accuracy... then the Wiimote has the means to do 720p (of course, the hardware won't) with pixel per pixel accuracy, whereas the PS Eye can't.

That said I dunno how they're calculating the controller position in there, but PSEye is not HQ.

I'd say it's probably not as robust, at best it'll be the same. (and I dunno how they'll do that)

It doesnt quite work like that. If it was then big tvs wouldnt have judder.

It doesnt quite work like that. If it was then big tvs wouldnt have judder.
hmm? what are you reffering to?

Basicly the Eye captures a 2d image of the wand from the light source generated from the LED and then ultra sonic sound is what is used to lock onto the controller.

Does that mean the PSeye has a speaker?

PS. My webcam is 640x480 and has a microphone, so I basically have a PSeye then?

Does that mean the PSeye has a speaker?

PS. My webcam is 640x480 and has a microphone, so I basically have a PSeye then?

This thread isn't even 2 pages long. I posted all the info on the first page.

The PSEye has a microphone array. It can detect what direction sound is coming from.

Also, the PSEye runs at 120fps.

Anyway, you would have to be disappointed if a device that gets released halfway through a generation inst more advanced than a device released at the beginning.

In saying that the Wii (and Wii Motion+) seem robust enough to be hi-tech for many more years. Developers have only really just nailed controls for it etc.

Imagine what the Wii 2 controls could be like, again you wont be surprised if it furthers advancement yet again.

In the end it is silly to rely on such 'future developments' for your entertainment. The real meat is in what you are playing right now.

Basicly the Eye captures a 2d image of the wand from the light source generated from the LED and then ultra sonic sound is what is used to lock onto the controller.
and that ultrasound is gotten from the existing microphone in the PSEye?

I've gotta say, that's a really workaround'y way to do stuff in hardware that wasn't supposed to do that. Might work well enough, but it does seem like what sony had to do in order not to integrally copy wii's tech.

Otherwise they'd do something like Wii did from the beginning.

the PSEye runs at 120fps.
not at 640x480.

that 120Hz mode is for 320x240.

Edited by pedrocasilva
Automerged Doublepost

Not so sure about the subsonic sounds lol. Nothing is final. PSeye could even be replaced? so lets see.

Lets see what Sony do. But its a cool idea and is technically the Wii HD many Wii owners want. I dont see Sony going Natal's route. Natal is alot like using the Iphone as a games device.

Well thing is with cameras everyone bangs on about resolution/pixels or whatever but it's only as good as the lens.

Anyway, I'm just going to ask, can the Wii M+ be as precise as the dildo? Because they said they had sub-mm control when doing that art and it looked pretty good.

Not really that hard since the PS3 won't lose the wand just because it cannot see it but some people were worried.

And just like Natal the PSEye can track full body movement.

medium_2987298580_266d91ba70_o.jpg

LOL you serious? The Wii can do that if you stuck remotes on your leg, but when it isn't facing the scren it couldn't be tracked so how does that work anyway?

LOL you serious? The Wii can do that if you stuck remotes on your leg, but when it isn't facing the scren it couldn't be tracked so how does that work anyway?

Playstation shoes. Duuuurr!

I think they just patented that for shits and giggles.

I only just realised that they are pretty much patenting the bicycle kick action in your living room.

Good overall watch [talk a bit about the Motion controllers just over halfway]

Gametrailers - Geoff Keighley - Jack Tratton [of Sony]

Edited by Retro_Link

That guy comes across well you just don't know if he actually understands what's going on in the whole picture. He gave a few obvious answers that if I was standing there I could've used 'yes we are dedicated' 'we try and improve existing products' etc. but still, fairly interesting.

I'll post a link later, which describes the limitations of wm+ and how it over comes these limitations. Basicly wm+ can do 1:1, just not for long periods. So basicly it's good for short motions, like swinging a sword, grabbing or throwing. As you know, wm+ needs to recalibrate after a certain amount of time (about 60 seconds) the article explains how it's pssible to make these calibration sequences almost invisible.

I think it would be great to vent out frustration on a boss when you finally get to do the finishing blow - just Happy Gilmore them into row Z.