NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
navarre

Can God commit suicide?

Question for all the Christians/Jews/Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs/Bahais on this forum.

Could God, if he so chooses, commit suicide? I mean, if he could then he wouldn't be immortal. But if he couldn't, then he isn't omnipotent.

I'm just interested to know.

This is a pretty rubbish anti-omnipotency argument. Worse even than the "immovable object" theory.

This is a pretty rubbish anti-omnipotency argument. Worse even than the "immovable object" theory.

Actually, it's a pretty strong argument. If God can do anything, then why can't he kill himself? Surely that defeats the meaning of being omnipotent?

but omnipotence also implies indestructibility, ergo his inability to kill himself would also prove omnipotence.

Who is to say that "God" is a creature that has a life/death cycle?

Think about it, omnipotent, can do anything, thus an omnipotent being can commit suicide

/Thread.....

That is the sort of argument I was looking for.

But doesn't it say, or at least imply, that in the holy books God is a living thing? He's almost always referred to as 'He' and Christians call him the Father.

Of course, God could be an entity that is not part of any religion- ie any religion that we know right now hasn't actually got across the true message of God or know God.

This thread is likely to be locked. Try not to descend into crazy religion bashing, or go totally off-topic and it will not.

But doesn't it say, or at least imply, that in the holy books God is a living thing? He's almost always referred to as 'He' and Christians call him the Father.

Of course, God could be an entity that is not part of any religion- ie any religion that we know right now has actually got across the true message of God.

Just because he is the "Father" doesn't mean he can die. In fact, probably the contrary: he is called the "holy spirit", and isn't the whole point of Christianity that after death our spirit lives on? Hence, spirits do not die, and God cannot then commit suicide.

Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever argued for the religion.

Suicide is illegal he'd get arrested.

Or end up in Hell, how ironic.

I could imagine if I were the cause of everything in this world I'd like the ability to kill myself hah!

And changes his appearance Doctor Who style each time.

He could potentially could commit suicide but he'd just be reincarnated as himself again anyway rendering it pointless.

This thread is likely to be locked. Try not to descend into crazy religion bashing, or go totally off-topic and it will not.

I think everyone here is both perfectly aware and compliant with the rules, thank you.

Just because he is the "Father" doesn't mean he can die. In fact, probably the contrary: he is called the "holy spirit", and isn't the whole point of Christianity that after death our spirit lives on? Hence, spirits do not die, and God cannot then commit suicide.

Being a parent, such as a father, is a biological term applied to living things. By definition, living things die, so as such it is possible God could commit suicide.

Yes, but God isn't a spirit surely? And if is, he's allegedly omnipotent- so and omnipotent spirit that can't kill itself? Well, it isn't omnipotent then, is it?

Who is to say that God exists?

This is under the assumption that he does exist.

Of course, God could be an entity that is not part of any religion- ie any religion that we know right now hasn't actually got across the true message of God or know God.

In the Bible it says that god created man in his own image. Therefore he at least looks like us.

To me this implies he is an actual being rather than something like a force or energy.

Well they say when you die and shit you live forever in the afterlife, so unless bustin' makes you feel good, can a ghost commit suicide also?

I think everyone here is both perfectly aware and compliant with the rules, thank you.

Being a parent, such as a father, is a biological term applied to living things. By definition, living things die, so as such it is possible God could commit suicide.

Yes, but God isn't a spirit surely? And if is, he's allegedly omnipotent- so and omnipotent spirit that can't kill itself? Well, it isn't omnipotent then, is it?

I'm pretty sure the modern day definition of "Father" derivates slightly from the one 2000 years ago. I don't think you can use it as a counter argument; also, translation discrepancies.

How do we know what he is? A spirit seems just as likely as anything else. And being omnipotent means beign able to do anything, but thats anything in the world. Death may not physically exist as something that is possible to his "species". In the same way that he can only make a massive rock because mass exists, or walk on water because buoyancy exists. In the same way that the human brain cannot comprehend colour beyond what they know - we couldn't describe any other colours, because all we can use to describe a colour is another colour - who are we to say that "death" is a physical thing that could affect such a being?

I am atheist / agnostic, depending on your definition. I do not believe in God, or any other similar thing. I am a Physicist, essentially. Give me evidence for a God, and I will believe you, in the same way that I believe in gravity even though I can't see it.

God, if he/she did exist, exists beyond human understanding; that is why he/she is God.

You then applying a human idea to God; suicide. Durkheim says suicide is a social fact and since God is above society why would God ever want to do it.

Which brings us to another point, if God is perfect then he does not progress he just is and so it would be impossible for him to change his state, commit suicide, unless he was fallible.

Sign in to follow this