NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Castlevania Lords of Shadow

So that's what the mask was that was linked from Kojima's website...he really is taking a more widespread role seems to be involved in every game they are making in one way or another.

I'm waiting for the footage to make a proper judgment, but I must vent this: after reading the live blogs of the conference, I can't say a reboot (or a re-imagination, as they are calling it) of the franchise as a God of War clone (not my kind of game, to say the least) by Mercury Steam (a company whose previous titles were extremely underwhelming, and I was looking forward to both; for the record, they were American McGee presents: Scrapland and Clive Barker's Jericho) with assistance from (IMO) the most overrated figure in the gaming industry, Hideo Kojima (besides Snatcher, which is a personal favorite (and funnily enough, not to him, apparently) I'm yet to play any game of his I would consider "great").

I know some people will be extremely excited about the prospect of this game, but for me it's almost a worse case scenario. I just hope this isn't the ultimate spit in the face of IGA (meaning, he got kicked of the series), and that he is allowed to make a proper Castlevania game on a platform such as the DS in the near future.

It's sad to see this happening to a franchise that's a particular favorite of mine.

UPDATE:

Trailer:

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2009/castlevania/

I just died a little inside... :weep:

The topic is on the same page below this one!

Lords of Shadow was actually announced at last year's Games Convention, a title to be developed by Madrid-based Mercury Steam and originally pitched as the foundation of a new "action-adventure IP." Kojima taken a interest into the game and retrofitted to be a new Castlevania game for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

Castlevania PS3/360 that was shown last year at E3 has been canned. :sad:

Edited by Dante

This game has some pretty good voice talent there and I liked that trailer.

Colour me enthusiastic.

Having Captain Picard voice (I assume) Dracula, is almost worth the price of admission here. Im also liking the fact that Gabriel looks like a traditional Belmont instead of a BDSM reject so theyve already did something right here. The story is pretty intriguing so far too

Seems like the best attempt at a 3D Castlevania so far, and im certain there will be more 2D entries down the road. Win/Win.

This looks awesome! Surprised others haven't really gone off about it.....can't wait!

this looks absolutely amazing.

I know Castlevania has always been more traditionally 2D but I'm pretty sure this won't stop the really high quality DS line, right?

Looks great! Great voice cast!!

Though I can see why long time fans of the series would be dissapointed, as it seems very different... God of Wars meets Lord of the Rings!

But as someone who's not really been interested in playing a Castlevania game before, this looks cool!

you should check out the DS games. They're ridiculously good- very much goth Metroid, if that series ever floated your boat.

There's a good one on XBL too- need to get back in to that myself once my console comes home from Germany!

you should check out the DS games. They're ridiculously good- very much goth Metroid, if that series ever floated your boat.

There's a good one on XBL too- need to get back in to that myself once my console comes home from Germany!

Symphony of the Night. Also on the PSN (american). Awesome game and probably the best of the 2D versions.

I find it depressingly funny that everyone is going nuts about a game that didn't even start out as a Castlevania title (they already acknowledged only very recently someone at Konami decided it was a good idea to turn this totally unrelated title into a Castlevania game, so they made a few changes; looking at the trailer, it certainly shows), made by a team with a mediocre (to say the least) track record, that has no apparent elements from the series it's supposed to be part of (seriously, Devil May Cry looks more like a Castlevania title than this game), and better yet: they are treating this as a new start for the series. Yeah, screw the last 20 years of the franchise, lets just start over, 3D hack and slash style, because there's so few franchises in the genre, and this one looks totally different from something like Devil May Cry, God of War, ...

And why the big fuss? Because Kojima is a producer for this game.

This is a joke.

People complain about past 3D titles, and that this game looks nothing like them because of the high production values, but it seems they are forgetting the team behind the Castlevania series was never allowed the budget to make a title with Patrick Stewart voice overs. Again, the Kojima miracle.

Right know, I only hope the team behind the previous games is allowed to keep doing 2D titles, but from comments made by Konami that this is a re-imagination, a new start for the series with a "clean slate", I seriously doubt it.

As a huge fan of the series, and one who followed it through the very beginning, I can't help but feel sad and really upset about this.

I wonder if Metal Gear Solid fans, or DMC/GOW fans, would be happy if someone decided to reboot those franchises as dating sims or something similar...

you're being a silly fanboy then.

besides, Castlevania started as a pure action title. And who's to say it won't involve other elements?

I'm excited about this because it looks good.

you're being a silly fanboy then.

Probably. I'm just pissed Konami decided to take a game that has nothing to do with the series, labeled it a Castlevania title, and just like that the chances of me getting to play a game in the near future in similar style to the past titles I enjoyed just took a huge hit. Yeah, I'm selfish like that. :p

People are praising how this game doesn't feel nothing like a Castlevania title. Of course it doesn't, it wasn't one. That's the whole point.

Like someone said on another forum: nice graphics, nice voice acting, but seriously: what does this game have to do with Castlevania?

And just a remark, while the older titles were indeed action-oriented, they also had platforming. As do the recent games. Where's that in the new game?

well it's in a castle, features the same roster of folklore badshits, a man with a whip, vampires and...fuck it basically everything I identify with Castlevania.

well it's in a castle, features the same roster of folklore badshits, a man with a whip, vampires and...fuck it basically everything I identify with Castlevania.

I see you are an expert on the series, you managed to nail everything about the games in a small sentence.

You forgot the kick ass soundtracks, though!

Besides a supposed castle and a whip, I don't see any of the elements you described in the trailer for the new game. I guess the vampires are still pending insertion into the game...

If we're lucky, maybe a few stealth elements will make their way into the game!

By the way, have you heard about the new Halo game for the Wii, The Conduit? I has all the elements of that historically rich series: you shoot a few dumb aliens in first person view. :laughing:

Meh..never that into the Castlevania series so not too bothered....

looks awesome!

I mustve watched that trailer a dozen times now. Love it! The only thing i see missing so far is candle whipping and sub-weapons, although Gabriel does have a dagger

I also noticed that most of the trailer was set outside , so adding that to the interior of the castle, the game should be huge

I had the first DS Castlevania game and it was pretty good, bosses were cool, as was the ability to get better powers, but it did get a bit repetitive in places.

From this trailer I haven't really seen anything new or imo that exciting, but we'll see.

Im interested in this title, but im holding my breath for it. Firstly, it's a an original game turned into a Castlevania title (remember Dinosaur Planet -> Starfox Adventures), it's not developed by Konami itself and seemingly it has nothing to do with the history of Castlevania. No Belmont bloodline involved?

That said, Im in for a new fresh start, if it means it'll move the series forward, im interested :)

Now, they'd better start a 2D Castlevania title on Wii so we'll all be happy :D

Im interested in this title, but im holding my breath for it. Firstly, it's a an original game turned into a Castlevania title (remember Dinosaur Planet -> Starfox Adventures), it's not developed by Konami itself and seemingly it has nothing to do with the history of Castlevania. No Belmont bloodline involved?

That said, Im in for a new fresh start, if it means it'll move the series forward, im interested :)

Now, they'd better start a 2D Castlevania title on Wii so we'll all be happy :D

Yeah im trying to mentally block the Starfox Adventures analogy and tell myself this is a Castlevania game from scratch. If its success means new 2D console versions on Wii or maybe PSN/XBLA, then im all for it.

Also i have a feeling theyve worked the Belmont bloodline into this somehow

Sign in to follow this