NEurope
Guest Maase

Who else believes the Wii is starting to lose the "Console Wars"?

What needs to be kept in mind is that this console cycle is going to last a lot longer than any of the others. The 360 is coming up to 4 years old this year. I suspect we aren't even half way through. There's a really great article in this months Edge about it.

With this in mind I don't see it as being too crazy that momentum could build for the other two.

However, I doubt it will eat into the Wii market. More grow along side. Although if Microsoft package their Natal with the much cheaper 360, that could definitely cause some disruption, especially with their rampant advertising.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :)

No, I totally agree with both you and Emasher.

As well as that I didn't experience a PS2, but heard about games like SotC, God of War and Ico, so potentail sequals or PSN downloads of these games is something I'm looking out for.

Well, I'm always considering all the consoles, it entirely depends on the games. However, I'm not turning out to be as interested in the PS3 as I once thought I'd be. The Last Guardian, whilst looking good, does not appeal to me as much as Shadow of the Colossus and, for me, the fact that PS3 won't host Dragon Quest X detracts massively from it.

I'm still quite interested in the PS3 and 360, but am quite happy to wait for totally revised hardware (eg. the Valhalla and PS3 Slim).

What needs to be kept in mind is that this console cycle is going to last a lot longer than any of the others. The 360 is coming up to 4 years old this year. I suspect we aren't even half way through. There's a really great article in this months Edge about it.

Then again, might we see some "same-architecture" machines, like the Wii? The PS4 could mainly have extra RAM and have the motion control as standard. The Xbox 3 could be approx double the power and, again, have Natal as standard. This might be a way for both companies to relaunch themselves more profitably.

Then again, might we see some "same-architecture" machines, like the Wii? The PS4 could mainly have extra RAM and have the motion control as standard. The Xbox 3 could be approx double the power and, again, have Natal as standard. This might be a way for both companies to relaunch themselves more profitably.

Well there isn't the demand for higher powered machines, there's no need for it. Also you've got to think about whether developers will support a new set of consoles.

I suspect when the Xbox 3 and the PS4 launch all the motion tech will be standard but will also be improved. Both companies will want it working out the box as best it can. As for the same architecture, it's a given. Microsoft base their hardware on the PC and Sony have invested in the Cell as a long term project.

Seriously, check out the article in Edge, it explains everything better.

There is no guarentee of that at all. All three companies will be currently investing in the R&D of a new console, and the date they will debut will depend on many factors - what's more it will be like an arms race, as soon as one shows new hardware the others will at least announce their repsonse.

Already the PC versions of games are looking better than the console versions so technology is still pushing on. I suspect that if the PS3 were to begin outselling the XBOX and that continued at a consistent rate then that could well trigger MS showing their hand earlier than planned and starting a new cycle.

I'm sure the Wii stopped this graphical frenzy from the past generations, PS3 will stay basically the same but with the memory issue resolved, 360 will had a few cores and a more recent gpu and Nintendo will boost to HD standards.

this has to be one of the better generations for games.. when sony said thst ps3 will last 10 years I laughed but seems they were spot on..

All i can see happening for wii is an upgrade to hd in a dslite-dsi kind of update.. it will play the same games but devs might tailor the experience towards hd but it could stillbe enjoyed on a regular wii..

suggestions of wii 2 are a little foolish I think..

I would appreciate if the new Black wii model, had that HD upgrade mcj speaks of, perhaps also with DVD playback and certainly and optical out for DD sound. Im sure that would draw in the HD crowd and existing wii owners.

this has to be one of the better generations for games.. when sony said thst ps3 will last 10 years I laughed but seems they were spot on..

All i can see happening for wii is an upgrade to hd in a dslite-dsi kind of update.. it will play the same games but devs might tailor the experience towards hd but it could stillbe enjoyed on a regular wii..

suggestions of wii 2 are a little foolish I think..

The problem with that is developers would still basically have to develop games for the Wii. Developers wouldn't be able to take advantage of the new power for higher polygon models and better AI and Physics. They still wouldn't be getting the multi platform titles, and it wouldn't appeal to anyone who didn't have an HDTV.

The problem with that is developers would still basically have to develop games for the Wii. Developers wouldn't be able to take advantage of the new power for higher polygon models and better AI and Physics. They still wouldn't be getting the multi platform titles, and it wouldn't appeal to anyone who didn't have an HDTV.

I don't get you.. how is this different form normal..

When creating a wii game it pretty much is controller exclusive anyway so if anything keeping everything in hd wouldn't be too much extra..

when you play a 360 game on a normal sd piece of crap it still looks pretty.. so what is the trouble..

I don't really get your point is all :)

I don't get you.. how is this different form normal..

When creating a wii game it pretty much is controller exclusive anyway so if anything keeping everything in hd wouldn't be too much extra..

when you play a 360 game on a normal sd piece of crap it still looks pretty.. so what is the trouble..

I don't really get your point is all :)

If the console was just a Wii, that could render the games in 1080p, but the games library was shared, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of anything new at all besides the resolution. Even if some graphical effects were turned on and off depending on the system, polygon count would probably have to be the same, as-well as the AI and Physics. Because of this it would be just as hard to port a 360 or PS3 game to it as it would be to port it to the Wii, as you would really have to do it for both. Especially with Sony and MS catching up in terms of controls, Nintendo is going to have to do something different, and probably something that requires a new console to do. Thats really the best I can explain it.

Let's get one thing straight. I mean what I write, nothing more. I said that Nintendo fans have the right to be pissed IF Nintendo abandon F-zero and other loved franchises. I have never said that Nintendo HAVE abandoned F-zero.

But there's never been any indication that Nintendo have planned to abandon F Zero or any of their other franchises. At times, I think many gamers would say it is in fact the opposite, that Nintendo perhaps pay too much attention to their older franchises whilst not creating new ones. For me, F Zero Wii is just a matter of time. The only question will really be "how good will it be?" since it'll have to top the beast before it.

I'm referring to Wii Sports Resort, make up studio (which I think uses a very narrow view on women and probably will get criticized by feminist groups) and that lot. I'm very pleased with seeing MG2!

To be fair, Wii Sports Resort is actually shaping up to be pretty nifty. It's one of these games that I think just seems more and more appealing the more you see it. Also, are Nintendo behind make up studio? Is it them developing and publishing? I think I just switched off when I saw it and then switched back on when the next game was shown...which I think was COP: The Recruit, I think.

Well, a Nintendo release list from circa 1998 stated that PW2 was going to be released for the N64, so there definitely were plans for a sequel to PW64.

And of course, it's a great Nintendo franchise, as fans we have the right to be dissapointed regardlessly. This isn't the Soviet Union where you get sent to the Gulag for wanting more than you get.

Just like Toyota fans have been raging because Toyota discontinued both the MR2, Celica, Supra and even the Corolla GTi, leaving Toyota with no fun cars left.

That's about 11 years, at least, so it could be just one of those plans that just never comes into being. It happens, even more so in recent times. Look at Raven Blade, for example, or the first footage of Resident Evil 4. Or even Starwing 2 for the SNES. A big one for me, although not game related, is the plan to create an Alien V. That's been rumoured for around 10 years, and it'll probably never happen, but they'll be rumoured never the less. When you have fans who want it, of course they'll keep their hearts and minds open to the possibility of seeing another version of that or a new installment some day.

It's not a bad thing to want these games. It shows we care. If we didn't care about these games, then we'd never buy them, and thus Nintendo would never make new ones. Kinda why I always hope that the sweet but under-rated games sell somewhat well, so that new installments can be made. Like Killer7 for the Gamecube, and I'm pleased that Suda51 gave us No More Heroes for the Wii. Had Killer7 sold absolutely nothing, I doubt we've have got No More Heroes. (although Killer7 didn't sell by the bucket load, it did ok considering the people behind it...I never thought there were high expectations for sales.)

Yes, the Wii is great, and there are undoubtedly many great games. However, we don't exactly have many choices in each genre. In first person shooters we so far only have Medal of Honor, within realistic-ish racing we only have Ferrari, with traditional fighting we have Castlevania and with flight sims we have Heatseeker.

I absolutely love the Wii and wouldn't want to sell it. As a matter of fact, I've recomended my mother to buy one. I got really psyched over the new Metroid and Mario Galaxy games, and I'm probably going to pick up Grinder whenever it's released. Sin and Punishment is a must buy and if I didn't have a Wii, I'd buy one for the next Zelda alone. And once I get cash (from summer work), I'll probably buy a lot of games I've missed out on thanks to my anorectic student wallet.

I am a Nintendo fan. I love Nintendo's franchises, that's the reason I pre ordered a Wii.

However I want Nintendo to get a game catalog so good and varied I'll have a good conscience selling my 360.

We definitely need more games in all areas. More platforms, more adventures, more shooters, more racers and definitely more strategies. There's no harm in having choice, because that's how you have a great library. But, at the same time, it's up to third parties to fill the gaps that Nintendo leave open. If Nintendo did well in every single genre, and backed that up with a huge choice of games for each genre...then there would be no point in having third party backing. That's what they're their for. It's great that companies like High Voltage Software are giving us stuff like The Conduit and The Grinder, and even Gladiator A.D., which are three games in areas that are starved on the Wii. That's exactly the kind of third party support we need.

More realistic racers would also be good for people who want them. Again, it fills the gap. Nintendo aren't likely to create something like this, so why hasn't a third party given it a go? It's kinda annoying sometimes when you see third parties creating games which are basically "spin-offs" of Wii Sports, or Wii Fit (except EA active which looks pretty awesome) or something...why don't they concentrate on areas Nintendo haven't touched?! Surely that's where the money is. Unless gamers are willing to buy the same thing three times.

Its less about overall sales now The market has matured where different consoles can coexist. Being no.1 is not that important anymore. Its like saying Nokia are the no.1 phone company or Samsung are the top Tv company just because they sell the most of their product. Nintendo fit in the same category. I expect them to stay no.1. Its not like the SNES or Playstation 2 anymore as the consoles are quite different from each other.

Its less about overall sales now The market has matured where different consoles can coexist. Being no.1 is not that important anymore. Its like saying Nokia are the no.1 phone company or Samsung are the top Tv company just because they sell the most of their product. Nintendo fit in the same category. I expect them to stay no.1. Its not like the SNES or Playstation 2 anymore as the consoles are quite different from each other.

Yeah, but Nintendo is still at number 1 and Sony isn't.

lol, :heh:

At the end of the day the people here arent so satisfied with their Wii. Because they are not Nintendo's target market. Wii Hd rumours and constant bickering over getting 3rd party games on wii are a testament.

At the end of the day the people here arent so satisfied with their Wii. Because they are not Nintendo's target market. Wii Hd rumours and constant bickering over getting 3rd party games on wii are a testament.

Yes, in many ways Nintendo has lost its way with the core gamer - however that will not be what decides this generation's console wars!

I don't think gamers care about who's first and who's not, because if the console itself can't provide the gamer what he wants, like proper Online, HD (seriously, this will be standard at some point, there's no denying), more games made for the core-market (both from Nintendo and the 3d-party), I don't really think it matters which one is the best-seller.

I find Wii extremely boring at the moment. After the big games that were released like two years ago (Metroid Prime, Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Brawl), I haven't had any interest for the Wii since.

Well, I'm pretty happy with my Wii.

Same here. I was just playing galaxy for a bit today. Its still brilliant.

meh take it or leave i;m happy enough with the wii but gamecube times were better..

The games I want are now starting to come out now, so to me, I think Nintendo are doing a good job, plus it was great being able to catch up on some older games that I had yet to complete, so in the end it's been all good ^_^

meh take it or leave i;m happy enough with the wii but gamecube times were better..

For me, the Wii has been FAR better than the GC. Galaxy > Sunshine, Prime 3 > Prime 1or 2, SSBB > SSBM, MK Wii >>>>> MK:DD etc, etc.

On top of this third party support has been much, much better and I'm really happy with at least some sort of online component even if Nintendo are still behind on this. The online play makes good games like Grand Slam Tennis great for me and also has rejuvinated MK

I don't normally try and compare generations, because it's nigh-on impossible to do. I was around 17 or so when I had my Gamecube, around 15 when I had my N64, and younger still when I had my SNES. With each generation, I've gone through different things: The Gamecube during 6th form, the Wii during University. I've been with different people, and played different games with them. For example, I had a great set of mates who I played Melee with during sixth form, and another great set who I played Mario Kart Wii with, or something like de Blob.

As such, I think I've had the right console at the right time. I don't think the Wii would've clicked for me if it came 5 years earlier, or I don think I'd have had time for the N64 if that came five years later. If the N64 had been my console during Uni, would I have had time for Majora's Mask, or had all those multiplayer sessions on Perfect Dark. With the people I was around, it's almost an impossibility. At the same time, would I have been into picking out quirky games like de Blob, or Dewy's Adventure? Maybe not, either.

So, for that, I'm thankful and glad that I got to play each console when I did. Loved each generation, for similar and also different reasons to the previous or the next. If you compare a game, you really need to compare the experience that goes along with it.