NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Final Fantasy XIV

FreeRealms really isn't aimed at you. Not that it's bad as I actually think it nails what it sets out to do, but its target demographic is "tweens", i.e. 8- to 12-year-old boys and girls. By all means try it if you want, but consider yourself warned should you come away slightly nauseous. And yes, it is supposed to be coming to PS3 at some point this year, last I heard.

FFXIV is sounding interesting so far, although I'm not going to pass any judgements until there's a Beta; MMOs always sound really good until they come out. It seems that they're being a lot more progressive with this game so I have high hopes for something that's much more than a WoW clone.

FreeRealms really isn't aimed at you. Not that it's bad as I actually think it nails what it sets out to do, but its target demographic is "tweens", i.e. 8- to 12-year-old boys and girls. By all means try it if you want, but consider yourself warned should you come away slightly nauseous. And yes, it is supposed to be coming to PS3 at some point this year, last I heard.

FFXIV is sounding interesting so far, although I'm not going to pass any judgements until there's a Beta; MMOs always sound really good until they come out. It seems that they're being a lot more progressive with this game so I have high hopes for something that's much more than a WoW clone.

*cough* Aion *cough* althought that's PC only.

Yeah in FF14's case they seem to be quite progressive. Its going to be very hefty on pc system requirements though. Thats the reason its on PS3. I am hoping a console experience would at least half the bugs which is helpful. Judging from Se's comments the game has some nice ideas and no xp system for leveling up. Could be quite refreshing. Also encouraging is how they handled FF11 for all these years so experience bodes well.

Aion has potential and another beta is starting soon i think? But it does seem alot like another WOW. They took too long making it. NCsoft have a deal with Sony but i dont expect anything to ever come of it at their pace, lol.

New Info:

Plot:

Eorzea's nations used to be constantly at war with each other, but the advent of airborne battleships and other shockingly powerful weapons has created a state of détente throughout the land. The resulting peace has led to a wide swath of soldiers and mercenaries suddenly without a job, and so they're now forming guilds and calling themselves under a new name: adventurers.

Gameplay:

The battle and job systems will be different than the one previously used in Final Fantasy XI, which utilized experience points, and that the character races and monsters will resemble those found in Final Fantasy XI to allow players to create avatars similar to ones created in Final Fantasy XI.

Group play has been de-emphasized, and now solo and group play have been balanced.

Weapon use will alter "character development".

Square Enix is looking for a way to allow users to transfer their game names to the new MMO. The developers say that, in addition to Final Fantasy XI, they have been influenced in the games created by World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, but most of all by player feedback.

Chocobos will also return, but in a different role from Final Fantasy XI where they were just steeds.

In a DVD included with the September 2009 edition of Famitsu magazine, Nobuaki Komoto announced that while Final Fantasy XIV will include XI's job system, it will be retuned to focus on weapons and skills, and will not have experience points or a leveling system. The setting will also be changed from that of XI; while still set in a "high fantasy" world, the setting will be more modern than that of its predecessor and will include higher technology. The game will also include races "familiar" to players of Final Fantasy XI, but with new names and "other changes".

Characters:

So far there are five confirmed playable races in Final Fantasy XIV, all similar to the races from Final Fantasy XI.

Hyuran (ヒュラン Hyuran?): A race that is more or less human. They are divided into the Highlanders and the Midlanders.

Elzen (エレゼン Erezen?): An Elf-like race and the original inhabitants of Eorzea.

Lalafell (ララヘ ルル Raraheruru?): Tiny humanoids of high agility and intelligence from the Southern regions.

Roegadyn (ロエガヂン Roegadin?): A large race who are a seafaring folk from the Northern regions.

Miqo'te (ミクイテ Mikuite?): Cat-like humanoids divided by two groups: the sunseekers and the moonkeepers.

GamesCon Gameplay Videos

Gamers Hands-On At GamesCon:

Well, I had 15 minutes to experience it, I played a so-called warrior and I could tell that I were super-buffed, having equipment far superior to the monsters I later engaged. My character started out in a small encampment. One of the first things I noticed was the graphics and the smooth movement system and animations. I could tell that Square Enix has worked hard on this game and there was a lot of polish present, not to mention the graphics were quite breathtaking – beautiful!

One of the Square Enix employees wanted to group up with me to participate in a quest together, so I joined his party (he was sitting at the PC at the right side of me). Also I had issues on my version of FFXIV, since the monsters were invisible to me, we fixed that by switching me to another PC.

On with the quest, it was a simple kill 6 monsters quest, we were instructed to kill ten peacock-like creatures and by following the compass it pointed us in the right direction. We managed to kill them all, but I never returned back (if I were suppose to?) to turn the quest back in. As for the combat, it felt a bit slow, but I enjoyed it. I think it felt very polished and the animations were synced well with how the creatures took the blows. They went down way fast though, due to us being ‘buffed’. Questing is a bit like in WoW.

Having only 15 minutes makes it hard to say a lot about the game, but overall I’m very impressed, I noticed a lot of clipping plane, so I’m guessing they’re still working on optimizing the graphics engine and didn’t want us to lag.

I explored the map as much as possible and went into a couple of invisible walls. A giant white castle was found after some poking and exploring around, but I couldn’t find a way to reach it.

The camera was a bit strange to me, you could adjustit with the arrow keys or the mouse, but it didn’t feel properly tuned yet. Maybe I’m just not used to it, though. That’s what the SE guy at the side of me said, ‘you’re doing great for just having played for a few minutes, when you get used to it, it’s really great”.

Several elements of the UI could be resized and moved around/customized – this made me happy and I’m wondering if there perhaps even will be space for some addons, like in other MMO’s. But it’s not a necessity IMO either way.

More on the combat, you target a creature with TAB, lock on it with X and bring out your weapon with F. Then you attack using your different abilities on the hotbar, they were set to 1, 2, 3 etc. The stronger abilities required certain “rage” (it’s called something else – but I forgot what it’s called now). After building up enough rage I had certain AOE abilities that I could used which destroyed the monsters we were fighting really fast, then again we were slightly overpowered for the mobs we fought.

All in all I’m very pleased with my short experience of playing the game and watching other people play. The game felt extremely polished for being in alpha. You don't often hear this, but for a game being a year away from release things are looking very good for FFXIV, I'm impressed. There’s obviously more to tell, but instead I’ll leave that to future news posts on our site. Keep checking, we’ll keep you updated twenty-four seven.

Just a head's up - applications are open for PC beta testing (went up 2 days ago). You can apply here.

Bumping this thread as it is in need. I am really looking forward to this game, since FFXI was a fantastic game, and knowing that it's a HD MMORPG which will hopefully give me FREEDOM Something of which FFXIII missed. I already have a good feeling that I will spend hours upon hours on this game. Hopefully by the time it's out my Monster Hunter 3 obsession will be over :heh:

Another reason I am bumping is it seems that somehow the music of the game got leaked and at the moment listening to it, all I have to say is THE MUSIC IS FUCKING AMAZING!!! After the shitty music of FFXIII I am now in love with Final Fantasy music

Battle music

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I'll post more music later :D

Unless I can put the link of the download here (I don't know if I am allowed too or not :hmm: )

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm just hoping they sorted out what made FFXI incredibly boring. Like often waiting around for hours for a party since less people seemed to play that were of lower levels of skill as time went by, and the fact it took ages to get to most places, and that the environments and music were a bit drab. This looks very nice graphically, though.

Hmm what...have they fixed how fucked up this was?

It was really bad. I only tried the beta but it was dumb. Think of it as a worse version of Guild Wars with a sub. This and the Star wars MMO game took the cake. GW2 at least doesn't have a sub and is superior.

This is square gearing up for a relaunch. Effectively they have redone the game. Hence the intro shows everything getting destroyed/changed. It should be much better. The beta is free of course. I am excited to see what they have done it looks like there is lots of potential. No harm in trying it out.

Unfortunately I have no faith in them so won't be trying it.

Pretty much this.

Unfortunately I have no faith in them so won't be trying it.

I dont either :p buts I'll give it a go.

Not sure if its correct to make a new topic. But the new expansion come out today!

Massive turnaround since launch of FFXIV! Its supposedly the second biggest subscription MMORPG right now. Content updates have been regular and great. Now also for Mac, PS3, PS4 and PC.

Ordered my copy to try it out but had to change retailer (Zavvi...) Heard great things about unique features but also great refinement and innovation to existing mechanics in MMORPGs. While WOW was looking to scale back(cut flying and Garrison) this game does the opposite. There is player housing and air ships etc.

3max.jpg

Latest areas:

CG Intro:

ss_017.png?22a5fedv1

ss_008.png?d7430ebv1

ss_012.png?e22cd29v1

ss_019.png?89d79d8v1

ss_028.png?cdaba1dv1

ss_044.png?4537d97v1

ss_020.png?01a3406v1

ss_033.png?e4722ddv1

ss_040.png?ad43689v1

Edited by Choze

Level 15. Anyone else playing this? :)

Loving this game! Its great so far and I am still early levels. Easily by far the best looking MMO game. Plus the art work is insane. Much stronger than anything else RPG related out there IMO. Its not a wow clone thankfully. But its plays really well so far. Cant wait to see the new areas.

Also the controller setup is amazing. Best use of DS4 so far? The touch pad is your mouse.

I played it before the new expansion. Subscription lapsed last month, level 30 something weaver. Didn't excite me too much, XI is the stick that all MMOs are measured against for me and nothing has come close yet.

Yeah this game is great. I got max level on my monk a while back, and was chasing item levels. Unlike Esequiel I thought this was easily one of the best MMORPGs I'd ever played, whereas I felt XI was quite a flawed experience.

So this game then? What is it about? Worth getting? Im a fan of Final Fantasy. @Hero\-of\-Time, arent you bothered with this?

I really liked the beta but I'm just not interested in paying subscriptions for MMOs anymore. If this ever goes free to play I'll be right there.

So this game then? What is it about? Worth getting? Im a fan of Final Fantasy. @Hero\-of\-Time, arent you bothered with this?

Nah. I don't do MMOs. I'm not paying a monthly subscription fee and these types of games are a huge time sink. I would rather experience a wide variety of games than just constantly play the one.

@sheika have you had a look at XI recently? The changes are staggering, it started in around 2009 with the abysses expansion. The problem I have with it now is that it's too easy, I remember hitting top level with my first job back in 2006... The sense of achievement lol now you can get top level in about 6 hours!

XIV is fun, it just doesn't keep my interest. If there was a group of us playing.......

@sheika have you had a look at XI recently? The changes are staggering, it started in around 2009 with the abysses expansion. The problem I have with it now is that it's too easy, I remember hitting top level with my first job back in 2006... The sense of achievement lol now you can get top level in about 6 hours!

XIV is fun, it just doesn't keep my interest. If there was a group of us playing.......

Not recently (not in the past 4 years). But a lot put me off in the many times I played it. The party system is broken to an extreme - for those that don't know, you pretty much need a full party of (6?) people to kill enemies past maybe level 10 (bar maybe beastmasters). You'd spend ages sometimes trying to form a party through the party find system and then if someone leaves you'd be left waiting again. No idea if they fixed that but it was a huge problem, IMO. It was also a pain to get around unless you paid someone to teleport you or you were the right class (you may have been able to select one or two places you could travel back to any time but it was still mostly a chore). Maybe they fixed all this recently but really, all this stuff is in other MMORPGs now that also have prettier graphics. :heh:

Sign in to follow this