NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

^ just seeing that makes me think how awesome this is looking. Finally, another Mother Brain confrontation. So can't wait for this. :D Been watching the trailer for this and SMG2 all night. Just can't stop watching them.

^ just seeing that makes me think how awesome this is looking. Finally, another Mother Brain confrontation. So can't wait for this. :D Been watching the trailer for this and SMG2 all night. Just can't stop watching them.

Tell me about it. So hard to resist.

The lead programmer at Retro didn't leave the company because he didn't want to work on Metroid any more, he died just after Prime 3 was released.

Gameplay: I think this might play like NIGHTS or Killer 7 a bit. Its on rails, but you can control when you go, and it sort of plays like a 2D game but in a 3D world. You can probably switch into 1st person to get more precise aiming.

Story: Samus looks younger in the Zero Suit there, so I'm guessing its a prequel, plus Adam being in it suggests that. I think all the blond haired females in it are samus, except for the scientist at the end, who might be a clone, because if you look at the video and listen to the Audio, you can clearly see Samus' face behind the visor and her lips don't move when "I am Samus Aran" is said. I'm not too sure about time travel, it doesn't seem very metroid, but is possible.

Also, for those saying it might be a DS game, it says its a Wii game at the end of the trailer.

I'm completely surprised with this announcement, specially because it's from Team Ninja, and the style looks so different.

But damn it looks really good with plenty of action. And I love the fact that they will flesh out the story a bit more.

I can't really figure out the gameplay of this game. And I don't understand in which timeframe it fits. It's a prequel of all the games, right?

Reggie Fil-Aime:

“You know, the Retro folks are hard at work. We and they wanted to do something different than Metroid, to show their chops in a different area. More to come on that. We don’t have anything to reveal about Retro at this E3 but they are hard at work.”

“So Galaxy, in the press conference we didn’t say, but it’s 2010. So not this year. But New Super Mario Bros. Wii is going to be fantastic…”

awwww

I think it's a prequel of sorts, she does look younger. When I first seen the trailer I thought it was how Samus 'came to be'. But then she got raised by the Chozo so it that ended up being wrong :heh:

I thought Retro said before E3 that they were going to be revealing a project other that Metroid Prime Trilogy at E3. Or did they just say soon?

I can't really figure out the gameplay of this game. And I don't understand in which timeframe it fits. It's a prequel of all the games, right?

The gameplay looks similar to Ninja Gaiden. Fighting moves, as well as 3rd person shooting (although this part is more prominent in Metroid). The manual aiming of the bow is now 1st person manual aiming of the Power Beam.

That's what I gathered from the trailer.

It's really weird, it seems it takes place before the events of Metroid 1 and some seem to be after.

Also, she seems to have the Varia suit already which means she already went to Zebes for the 1st visit and destruction of Mother Brain.

I'm damn hyped to know what this game is all about, I need more info.

It looks so un-Nintendo, but damn it looks cool.

It might even be an alternate universe setting. The story doesn't quite add up, though then again, how many times as Ridley been beaten.

If you're right Cube I really can't see much Metroid gameplay in this. It just doesn't seem to fit any sense of exploration.

Hmm, hopefully its not another remake of Metroid 1 with extra bits of story on either end.

I think they'll have exploration, but I just wasn't shown in the trailer.

It might even be an alternate universe setting. The story doesn't quite add up, though then again, how many times as Ridley been beaten.

Normal Ridley? 2 times. I'm not counting with Meta Ridley because we would easily see the armor in the trailer, and it looked like the purple old ridley to me. Which means Planet Zebes.

We also see the 2nd Mother Brain apearance from Super Metroid (the one with legs). That and the fact that by the time of Fusion Adam is already dead. This has got to be somewhere between Metroid 1 and Metroid 3.

The gameplay looks similar to Ninja Gaiden. Fighting moves, as well as 3rd person shooting (although this part is more prominent in Metroid). The manual aiming of the bow is now 1st person manual aiming of the Power Beam.

That's what I gathered from the trailer.

Looks like it's going to have a very different feeling. But as long as Nintendo don't let them slip up and make a mess of it, then a change of system is good. We don't need the exact same gameplay everytime a game in a series comes out. I welcome this.

Interesting that Retro didn't show anything...

Maybe the rumours that they are no longer working on a Zelda aren't true?

Reggie said they're hard at work on something else just now and won't be able to show what at E3, so we need to wait a bit.

Someone uploaded a high quality version of the trailer to Youtube:

Click the video to go to the Youtube page were it shows in higher quality.

Edited by Blue_Ninja0

Stunning, absolutely stunning! Think about it.. it couldn't actually look any better :)

Glad to see they're being a bit more ambitious with the story side of things too.

Who was saying they thought this was DS!!!!!??

Perhaps it's some kinde of Super Paper Mario-ish thing where you swap between 2D and 3d?

Very, very pleased with this tbh. I was starting to get that sinking feeling at the point where Iwata focused on Wii Vitality Sensor and then BAM - this and SMG2. Fantastic.

Stunning, absolutely stunning! Think about it.. it couldn't actually look any better :)

Glad to see they're being a bit more ambitious with the story side of things too.

Who was saying they thought this was DS!!!!!??

i did, though to be fair, some bits look ropey as hell, the thing that jumps out of the lava appears to have approximately 5 pollygons. i mean, some looks great, but i guessed it may be cinema, like in final fatasy III on the DS

My theories:

-Gameplay-wise, it will mix several action styles. Wether it's 2D, 3rd person 3D or 1st person, the style will automatically change according with your stage/level or situation (I mean, it must be hard creating stages that can be fun using all the styles)

Either way, the 3D battles will kick ass, considering the team behind this

-Story-wise, it will be a sequel, but feature the memorable battles seen in the classic games (Mother Brain, Ridley, etc.). Either by simulation battles, flashbacks (in case the storyline spans more than one game) or even fights where those adversaries don't actually die, story-wise

metroid-other-m-20090602111600392.jpg

Is that Crocomire?

I'm expecting the story to take place over a bunch of different time periods. The beginning stuff seems to be younger Samus pre-Metroid 1, but there's also Ridley fights (have to be between 1 and SM) and then there's the flashbacks to the MB fight from SM.

Flipping awesome! It looks so forward-thinking and advanced. Didn't think they'd do anything like this until Wii 2.

To all those who don't like Metroid as it has been, now with Team Ninja working on it, surely there's a good chance you;ll like it now!

So true! I love Metroid, but am not too fond of Prime. I'm thrilled to see the series become more Japanese again.

She talked in Fusion, and it was awesome.

EDIT: And in the Super Metroid prologue, and in Metroid: Zero Mission before the suitless part.

And they're the three best!

By the way, go play Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Definitely worth it.

Oh yes!

Nintendo weren't kidding when they said they had "several" games for the core gamer.

Metroid Manga readers have spotted scenes from Metroid Zero Mission manga in Other M.

After just hitting play/pause a bunch of times to see things "frame-by-frame" this is what I observed:

At 0:55 there is a face very briefly, which to me looks like a young Samus.

At 1:05 the purple wiggly thing is surrounded by "space marines" as Samus takes it out.

At 1:14 there appears to be another "cloaked" lizard in the room.

At 1:18 Ridley looks non-mechanical.

At 1:25 the "Remember Me" guy has another member of his force behind him.

At 1:26 Samus is definitely fighting a space pirate.

1:28 sure as hell looks like Mother Brain. Is it killing the Metroid that saved Samus in Super Metroid?

motherbrain.jpg

At 1:41, who's body is that? Adam's?

At 1:48 its hard to tell if Samus is saying, "I am Samus Aran."