NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Feel I'm going to have to pick up Fusion at some point before this comes out. If I can find Zero Mission on the cheap too, that'll be doubly good.

Edited by D_prOdigy

Feel I'm going to have to pick up Fusion at some point before this comes out. If I can find Zero Mission on the cheap too, that'll be doubly good.

Fusion is really good, you should definitely make an effort to get it.

Zer mission first then fusion in my opinion :)

Get both if you can though

I agree with mcj metroid about Zero Mission first, if possible. They're both absolutely brilliant though.

I'd pay damn good money for Zero Mission, if I was given the option to pay £30 for that now (if I didn't own it) or a next gen game I'd be going with Zero Mission.

The second best sidescroller in my opinion (only behind Super) and probably my third favourite Metroid game overall (Super, Prime, Zero Mission).

Fantastic remake of the original Metroid, the areas are perfectly rebuilt, maintaining all the similarities they need have to the original while doing enough new to make them fresh. Soundtrack reworks all the original tracks, retaining the core of all of them but with significant improvements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nV_vU62PwI

Probably my favourite title screen of any game I've ever played too.

I also personally like that they incorporated sequence breaking into the gameplay. You actually get rewarded with different ending artwork for doing low percentage (<15%) runs, as well as ones for 100%

Only flaws with the game really are a lack of difficulty, a bit too much hand-holding (though not as much as Fusion) and that the added stealth section is arguably too out of place with the rest of the game.

I very much recall the tune when you fought Gandrayda

When it comes to epic Prime 3 music, I'm personally more partial to the Rundas battle theme. Easily the best boss in the game too.

Edited by James McGeachie

I'd pay damn good money for Zero Mission, if I was given the option to pay £30 for that now (if I didn't own it) or a next gen game I'd be going with Zero Mission.

The second best sidescroller in my opinion (only behind Super) and probably my third favourite Metroid game overall (Super, Prime, Zero Mission).

Fantastic remake of the original Metroid, the areas are perfectly rebuilt, maintaining all the similarities they need have to the original while doing enough new to make them fresh. Soundtrack reworks all the original tracks, retaining the core of all of them but with significant improvements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nV_vU62PwI

Probably my favourite title screen of any game I've ever played too.

I also personally like that they incorporated sequence breaking into the gameplay. You actually get rewarded with different ending artwork for doing low percentage (<15%) runs, as well as ones for 100%

Only flaws with the game really are a lack of difficulty, a bit too much hand-holding (though not as much as Fusion) and that the added stealth section is arguably too out of place with the rest of the game.

[/url]

fusion had tough boss battles sometimes but no Zero mission and fusion were pretty easy. The balance was just right though..

Zero mission was extremely fast as well. I know it get's a lot of complaints for been too short but I can't help but feel that's why. samus moves extremely fast in that game.

IGN have a few more impressions of Other M on their site, they seem to be generally positive but still a little sceptical.

I'd link it but it's a ball-ache to do on my phone! Haha

IGN have a few more impressions of Other M on their site, they seem to be generally positive but still a little sceptical.

I'd link it but it's a ball-ache to do on my phone! Haha

I can't help but take into account who is actually writing it with any IGN piece.

IGN... eugh. I mean, it's a shame, but... *groan*

But yeah, of course. With such a short section of the game that has been shown off, it could still go either way with Other M. We just don't know that much about the game outside the tutorial.

But what I DO know is what the ineffable Nathan Whincup and Tom Phillips have said about the game after playing it, and I'd trust my own peers over anyone else on the net any day.

Now we know Sakamoto wanted a 2D game using just the Wiimote and Team Ninja wanted a 3D game using the Nuchuk as well, I can't help but think Other M might be a better game if one of them had got their way, rather than fusing the two.

^Well Sakamoto's original idea sounds like it wouldn't really have had any interesting new mechanics and would in fact been more limited control wise than any other Metroid since the original, other than Metroid 2, due to the lack of buttons.

One thing that would be an improvement though if it was locked on a fixed 2D path is that they could still use down on the d-pad to transform to morph ball, where as now of course pushing down will have Samus walk downwards. That would free up a button for switching to missiles, instead of this whole thing where they can only be used through first person.

Anyway the game has obviously been built around this new system though, incorporating things like the auto-aiming in third person into the design of enemy layouts and building elements of boss fights around the first person aiming. At the very least I'm sure it's going to feel at least a bit fresh.

Sorry if I haven't been following this, but can you go into first person at any time or is it just for stationary shooting?

Both. You can go into it at any time just by pointing at the screen, but you can't move whilst in first-person.

Would essentially be Metroid Prime 4 if that were the case.

Ah right. Yeah rephrased that slightly wrong.

True it would be, and I actually think that would be a bad thing. I remember thinking about how 3d metroids could be awesome in third person, although this has a lot more cartoony/cinematic style than I was expecting.

Thanks for the new trailer. :)

It is a bit hard to see with some scenes.

Edited by Dante

Magnifique.

Really does look to be shaping up nicely, voice acting was still...idk just a bit off.

New trailer looks great! I'm still very confused about how the 2D bits play, though. I'd really like to see some extended gameplay footage rather than these short snippets cut together. Now NOE just needs to give us a proper release date!

Looks bluddy fantastic. I don't mean graphically, I mean in the sense that it looks like it's dynamite to play. Can imagine this being very fun.

So excited for this.

i still dont get the gameplay though... I understand the first person and 2d parts but how do the third person parts work :S

Looks bluddy fantastic. I don't mean graphically, I mean in the sense that it looks like it's dynamite to play. Can imagine this being very fun.

So excited for this.

Amen :)

It certainly looks like a 3D Metroid action game. And I can't wait! :yay:

Wow! Words cannot describe the feeling I got when I watched that trailer... WOW!!!