NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Regarding the voice acting, I'd say it sounds like the voice actors didn't learn their lines but that they're reading them straight from the script as opposed to it being from memory.

I'm thinking of writing up a "first hour" feature - I have loads of notes from the demo since I was lucky enough to play through it twice, so I have small details, locations, character names, etc. The only thing is, I have no idea what the monsters are called, or if they've even appeared before. I guess this is something you guys would like to see? I might look back over the original trailer and see if I can link any of it to what I've seen and played, and work out where the story's going.

tellyn what was the voice acting like? gonintendo said it was horrific ign used " not so bad" whats your impression?

I don't mind OK voice acting but if it's resident evil bad i'd be concerned

It certainly wasn't brilliant, but not as bad as GoNintendo made it out to be. Samus sounds a little clinical, her voice lacks emotion, even when talking about the baby Metroid, which she obviously grew fairly "attached" to (ho ho!). To compare it to other games, it's probably better than Gears of War and Halo, simply because the characters aren't all war-crazed soldiers.

Obviously, the voice acting could use some work, but I won't be upset if it stays the same as in the demo.

"Let's go next door," is horribly done though.

Edited by FalcoLombardi

That opening cinematic is brilliant. I'm really looking forward to this. Already, there is a different feel to this game when compared to the Prime ones.

Hmm...thinking about it, it might be Samus's final voice, perhaps one of the things they want Samus to be is a character who can't show much emotion...because well...she never showed much really, from what the whole story behind Samus is, she either was in training or on a mission to kill off space pirates. It's perhaps a crazy thinking on my behalf, I might be completely wrong :heh:

Technically she's experienced human privation so I'm surprised she's able to walk normally and speak coherently. How she became a warrior without her own species' care I don't know!

Although there are lots of humans in this... I'm confused - she was raised by the Chozo yes? I've not seen anything about Other M so I can't really tell.

D'you reckon they'll give this a new title at GDC?

Technically she's experienced human privation so I'm surprised she's able to walk normally and speak coherently. How she became a warrior without her own species' care I don't know!

Although there are lots of humans in this... I'm confused - she was raised by the Chozo yes? I've not seen anything about Other M so I can't really tell.

D'you reckon they'll give this a new title at GDC?

Raised by the Chozo, yes, but this takes place long after their extinction I think. The humans are mostly people that Samus worked with when she was training with the Galactic Federation army, before she became a bounty hunter.

And Other M is the final title, it's not going to be changed according to Sakamoto.

And who the hell gives a thumbs down like that?

When Adam Malkovich gave Samus and the Federation soldiers their first missions in the demo, they gave some sort of thumbs up salute before heading off. Either she's just saying "no objections", or this is the 'incident' that led to her quitting the Federation.

Going off that teaser, the voice acting isn't as bad as I'd feared I must say. I really cannot wait for this game, I'm dying for Samus' story to be fleshed out a little!

New teaser

Its up on the Nintendo channel too. Hopefully Nintendo ramp up the hype with regular videos on the channel. Its interesting, I liked it.

Honestly, that voice still irks me. Maybe it's because it's so monotone, I don't know. I just hope it gets better.

Everything else looks good, though.

I think Nintendo release this teaser because of the moaning over the opening footage voice-overs.

The voice acting is much better in that trailer.

And who the hell gives a thumbs down like that?

Painters and ancient romans.

I think Nintendo release this teaser because of the moaning over the opening footage voice-overs.

You mean the opening footage that no one was supposed to see?

I didn't see it. Why?

Yes!

I didn't see it. Why?

I posted before but has been taken down but you can look for it on youtube.

Speaking of Chozo, I hope we get to play in flashbacks when they're training her. And maybe play a level as her father.

metroid_v1_45.jpg

metroid_v1_46.jpg

metroid_v1_47.jpg

metroid_v1_48.jpg

metroid_v1_49.jpg

metroid_v1_50.jpg

metroid_v1_51.jpg

metroid_v1_52.jpg

metroid_v1_53.jpg

metroid_v1_54.jpg

metroid_v1_55.jpg

metroid_v1_56.jpg

metroid_v1_57.jpg

metroid_v1_58.jpg

metroid_v1_59.jpg

Why did you go and suggest that? Thats appalling VO work... Please Nintendo, get that seen to immediately.

Yes!

metroid_v1_45.jpg

metroid_v1_46.jpg

metroid_v1_47.jpg

metroid_v1_48.jpg

metroid_v1_49.jpg

metroid_v1_50.jpg

metroid_v1_51.jpg

metroid_v1_52.jpg

metroid_v1_53.jpg

metroid_v1_54.jpg

metroid_v1_55.jpg

metroid_v1_56.jpg

metroid_v1_57.jpg

metroid_v1_58.jpg

metroid_v1_59.jpg

That's exactly what I had in mind actually.

Why did you go and suggest that? Thats appalling VO work... Please Nintendo, get that seen to immediately.

Relating to my last comment, there were probably reasons why Nintendo said that there would be strictly no photography allowed at the Media Summit, and why they didn't release any new trailers to the gaming public. They made it clear that the game is far from finished repeatedly, that footage was an unauthorised leak.

If they've still got placeholder graphics chances are they've got a lot of other place holder materials too. Chances are a lot of the voice work still isn't final. Anyone notice Adam's voice has changed since the E3 2009 trailer and now?