NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

how big are those spoilers from the hands on? i really want to read it...but at the same time i want to stay clear of everything from here until release. :S

The hands-on pretty much takes you step by step through the first half an hour or so from the game, sometimes quoting word-for-word what Samus says. I was very relieved to see positive impressions from IGN - like them, I was very sceptical about the controls, and how the game felt rather un-Metroid-like, but I'm more reassured now. I've just got a feeling that we won't be seeing this in Europe until September (lots of translation needed, and NoE rarely release big, core games in July and August).

What type of music would you lot like to see in this? I'm hoping for a bit of Product Number 03 type techno beats when the action picks up... What I'd give for a PN03 sequel....:(

I'd prefer hummable tunes, like in the original 2D Metroids, rather than the more atospheric stuff in the Prime games (I wasn't particularly grabbed by the music in Prime 2 or 3, in particular).

Video interview from GameSpot: http://uk.gamespot.com/events/nintendo10/video.html?sid=6251865&category=3&tag=latest-highlights;title;4

Yep, Q3 release, as I predicted earlier. :( I still reckon it'll be September rather than July or August.

Edited by Mike

Q3..? Poop! I must admit I was hoping for a closer release to the US date rather than them simply saying Q3... thats just... poop!

July is Q3 though so they may surprise us

It's possible, but unline NoA, NoE rarely release any big games in July or August, do they? I reckon with all the translation work that needs to be done, September is more likely. Still hoping to be proved wrong!

It's possible, but unline NoA, NoE rarely release any big games in July or August, do they? I reckon with all the translation work that needs to be done, September is more likely. Still hoping to be proved wrong!

Yeah it'll be August 27th 2010 which is technically September.

Whats US gonna get September which Europe isn't? Guesses on postcard!

Surely thats technically August? :heh:

unless you preorder at Play.com... then its definately September.

Thank God it's not going to be released soon (Yeah you heard me, with the amount of games I have to get through, by the time it comes out now I might finally have time to play it)

ok Enough with the release date bitching, just import it if you really can't wait.

Anyway I don't trust igns impressions on games, they tend to get over-excited sometimes so I try to make up my own mind reading between the lines.

According the gonintendo the voice acting is horrendous, ign said it was " not so good" so that's obviously a problem.

As a metroid fan some of the concerns i've seen on this page haven't been addressed. 1= fire, 2 = jump? uh uh..... Sounds very... megamanish and NO that's not a good thing.

Also I REALLY am not liking the graphical style of this, especially samus suit.

I'll wait till I hear more on this, it looks ok so far though those are my main concerns.

I'm a bit sceptical about the controls and gameplay, as I'd rather have a pure 2D game (on handhelds, say) or a pure 3D game where you can switch between 1st- and 3rd-person, but not 2D and 3D. And yes, 3D games need the nunchuck, whereas 2D games need the missile and diagonal buttons.

I'm looking forward to this, but it seems more like a curiosity rather than the next step in Metroid.

Yeah, after reading that Hands-On I'm kind of skeptical. Also, why does Samus always have to run? I really need to see video of this.

I've not the read the hands on as I don't want the spoilerz so could someone just explain how the controls work for me please.

Also, why does Samus always have to run? I really need to see video of this.

Never played Ju-On for the Wii? Try it for two minutes and you will be thankful that Samus runs.

The trailer wont be shown online because it is quick edited version of older build.

The cinema ends by setting up a training session that functions as a tutorial. The Galactic Federation scientist running the test is, unfortunately, the first example of how not everything can look as good as that Mother Brain battle. Human faces in this game look pretty terrible. Not flat and weird like in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but rather just weirdly deformed looking. Their features are often too exaggerated for as realistic a style is being attempted here. I have to say, the art direction in the Other M demo is without a doubt the low point, coming nowhere near the high standards set by Retro Studios in the Metroid Prime series. Where Prime would have locales suffused with detail, debris, and history, Other M feels sterile and empty. That said, this might be part of why media wasn't allowed to take any pictures or video. The opening screen of the demo even says that the graphics are far from final, so I'll reserve judgment for now.