NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Team Ninja's Yusuke Hayashi said this regarding Wii Motion Plus:

"It [Metroid] is not compatible with the Wii MotionPlus," said Hayashi. "One of our major goals with this game is beautiful game design and as we were progressing through development we discovered that it [MotionPlus] was actually not working with what we were shooting for. Once you get your hands on a demo and really experience it for yourself, you should understand what I'm talking about."

probably a good idea eh

Team Ninja's Yusuke Hayashi said this regarding Wii Motion Plus:

"It [Metroid] is not compatible with the Wii MotionPlus," said Hayashi. "One of our major goals with this game is beautiful game design and as we were progressing through development we discovered that it [MotionPlus] was actually not working with what we were shooting for. Once you get your hands on a demo and really experience it for yourself, you should understand what I'm talking about."

probably a good idea eh

I agree. I don't like games that use things for the sake of using them. There are tons of Wii games that should have just used the Classic Controller.

I agree. I don't like games that use things for the sake of using them. There are tons of Wii games that should have just used the Classic Controller.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, I like options - motion controls in games are great - if you want them. But if I want to sit back and play it with a classic controller should be able to.

It's like RE4, you could use motion controls, GC pad or the Classic - does that hurt the experience? No, of course not. I chose the Wii remote and nunchuck, but I'm happy that those who didn;t want to could play it the way they wanted to.

Racing games are the perfect example. I always liked the look of Excitetruck, but I hate racing with the remote on its side. I would've picked that game up if it had classic controls.

But racing games make sense with both. I'm more talking about games that don't need it. Look at NIGHTS, they did some weird IR controls when everyone just used the Nun-chuck and Wii Remote, or the Classic Controller. They were just trying to make some use of the controller for the sake of it.

Say, in the trailer at part the with the girl looking at Samus through the window... Does anyone else see a corpse (or something like it) lying at Samus' feet?

Say, in the trailer at part the with the girl looking at Samus through the window... Does anyone else see a corpse (or something like it) lying at Samus' feet?

I did. I wonder what the chances of it being Adam are.

Nintendo: Metroid Other M needs to break 1.5-2 million copies sold

Metroid Other M to sell atleast 1.5 - 2 million units? That’s exactly what Nintendo wants from the title.

In a recent video interview with Gamespot, president of NOA (Nintendo North America), Reggie Fils-Aime states that “Metroid is a key franchise, and in our view really since the Snes Metroid, we havent broken through in terms of 1.5 - 2 millions units. Thats our bar. Thats the scale that we look at to say on a global basis this is effective.”

Reggie goes on to say that Metroid Other M could be the Metroid title that goes on to break that mark with the game going more into the mythology of Samus. From the trailer and the direction they are going with the title we think that estimate may be a good one to have.

What Reggie says is music to my ears. This is one occasion where the sales speak the truth. I know there are always great small games that deserve to sell better, but Metroid should sell as many copies as Zelda. It's mainstream, it's pretty wholesome and it's an important Nintendo franchise. I'd go as far as saying the sales of Zelda and 3D Mario games are a pretty good indicator of how many "keen" gamers there are.

Now, I do respect Prime and think it was underappreciated by the mainstream gamer, but also overrated by the hardcore. That's not meant as an insult, it was just too hardcore for me.

This about US sales.

Prime 1 sold just over 1.3 million in the US.

Prime 2 sold just over 710k in the US.

Prime 3 sold 720K in the US.

I think Prime 3 will catch prime. Plus I imagine Trilogy to sell lots!!

Metroid Prime did over 1.5M on a global basis so it's not been all doom and gloom since Super.

I believe all of the prim trilogy did 1 million+

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=Metroid+Prime&keyword=&console=&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

Yes they did! The original getting on for 3 million in fact, and that was on the 'Cube!

Nintendo: Other M Will be A "Metroid Unlike Anything Ever Experienced Before"

Two of the men leading the new Metroid Wii game told Kotaku about their narrative ambitions for the 2010 sequel Metroid Other M and explained why the Metroid Prime team isn't involved.

Yoshio Sakamoto, Nintendo's long-time developer of 2D Metroids, and Yousuke Hayashi, head of Tecmo's Team Ninja, wouldn't tell me and Brian Crecente how Metroid Other M controls.

They wouldn't clarify how much of a 2D or 3D game Other M is.

Those fundamentals were kept secret during our E3 interview with the two men leading the collaboration between Nintendo, Ninja Gaiden development studio Team Ninja and a cut-scene production team led by a Team Ninja collaborator named Mr. Kitaura. That group, dubbed Project M, is creating the 2010 Wii exclusive Metroid Other M that closed Nintendo's E3 2009 press conference.

And while we did squeeze out of them that the game wouldn't support MotionPlus or the Wii Balance Board (they knew that was a joke question), Sakamoto and Hayashi were more eager to promote two aspects that Nintendo doesn't often use to sell its games: stylishness and story.

"Our goal is to provide the most interesting gameplay and deliver the most cool Metroid ever," Sakamoto said. It should be noted that Sakamoto has one of the most impressive resumes in the industry, so his desire to top past Metroids is a desire to top his own work. Back in the 80s, he did character design for the original Metroid. He directed or supervised most of the games in that series. He also did game design for Nintendo Entertainment System cult classic Kid Icarus and has produced most of the WarioWare games that followed the first of that series.

A legacy of Metroid development isn't all it takes to make Other M. In 2006, for all of Sakamoto's credentials, he found that his team of 2D-Metroid developers needed help to develop an idea he had for a Wii Metroid game. He wanted to make a game using 3D graphics.

Retro, the Nintendo-owned, Texas-based team responsible for the well-reviewed 3D Metroid Prime games, two of which were out by then, was, curiously, not an option. "Retro has their own approach toward Metroid games," Sakamoto said. "They had their own producer. Their approach to Metroid games has traditionally been the FPA — first person adventure — but my concept was kind of different than that and I was looking for a team that could bring my idea to life."

Enter Team Ninja, which, Hayashi said, "is very fond of Samus as a character. We've all got huge soft spots for her." Hayashi, a Team Ninja veteran whose youthful looks could let him pass for the almost-50 Sakamoto's son, most recently directed the well-regarded Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on the Nintendo DS.

Interviews about Mario and Zelda games with Nintendo developers typically focus on gameply, but story and character were what Sakamoto wanted to emphasize, noting how the game fits into the timeline between the Super Nintendo's Super Metroid and the Game Boy Advance's Metroid Fusion: "With Fusion, that game was very story-driven. In that game, I believe I was able to explain Samus as a character, as a person, not just somebody in armor. And I was not only explain Samus but the characters around her… with Super Metroid I showed, through her relationship with the baby Metroid, some of her maternal instincts. Between those two stories I feel I was able to explain Samus as a person. But because Metroid equals Samus, I'd like to develop her character further, as a soldier, as a human, also as a woman. That's what they're hoping to do with Other M."

The two developers described the new project as one targeted right at Metroid fans. When I asked if there would be anything in the game for the Wii's expanded audience — say, for my mom — Hayashi said: "When Mr. Sakamoto approached me and my team with the game concept, it was definitely something I and my team felt would be a new challenge for them. Our take on this whole thing is we see the possibility to explore new territory within the Wii system. So we're hoping to create something that will appeal not just to fans of the series but to new users as well." Still, that lack of Balance Board support makes it clear that this Metroid game is unlikely to be going the casual-game route.

"Our goal in developing Other M," said Sakamoto, "Is to deliver the kind of Metroid that all fans want to play."

Morph ball and ice beam? Of course.

New abilities? Yes.

Progressions of the character's powers? That's the goal. Said Hayashi: "Metroid has definitely been one of those games where as the player progresses through the story you can really feel yourself powering up. You can really feel Samus evolving in terms of her abilities. I'd like to maintain that essence of the Metroid series. In addition, just the feel of the game, by being in there, the emotional experience for the player is something I feel responsible to maintain true to."

It's clear, though, that there will be a twist. The Project M team, Sakamoto said: "Will create a new Metroid unlike anything ever experienced before."

And when they're done, he wants them to work together again.

Metroid Other M is slated for release next year. Later this summer, Nintendo will release a Wii compilation of Retro's Metroid work, entitled Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, I like options - motion controls in games are great - if you want them. But if I want to sit back and play it with a classic controller should be able to.

It's like RE4, you could use motion controls, GC pad or the Classic - does that hurt the experience? No, of course not. I chose the Wii remote and nunchuck, but I'm happy that those who didn;t want to could play it the way they wanted to.

I agree with the options thing. I love how Smash Brawl and Mario Kart give you like 4 or 5 control options but... Could you really use the GC pad or Classic controler on RE4? I don't think so, or am I mistaken?

but... Could you really use the GC pad or Classic controler on RE4?

Yes, you could.

The question is why would you want to? The Wii controls were perfect. Really can't imagine going back to a GC controller to play RE4 now.

The question is why would you want to? The Wii controls were perfect. Really can't imagine going back to a GC controller to play RE4 now.

It wasn't exactly sold as a feature of the game though was it.

Maybe it was accidentally left in by the devs during the porting process (hence why it's not an advertised on the game box). Why they'd give you CC support though is a bit less clear unless they just wanted players to be able to see how much difference the pointer makes without having to swap game discs.

But there might be somebody who prefers a stick over the pointer...

It wasn't exactly sold as a feature of the game though was it.

Maybe it was accidentally left in by the devs during the porting process (hence why it's not an advertised on the game box). Why they'd give you CC support though is a bit less clear unless they just wanted players to be able to see how much difference the pointer makes without having to swap game discs.

True, it wasn't advertised as a main feature, and I really think it was placed there to give gamers more options, mainly for the sake of it. It reminds me of the ability to play Goldeneye on the N64 with many different control schemes, or the numerous control options in Brawl. They're there for people to have access to playing it in different ways...even if some of the modes will never be used by probably anyone!

The Classic controller support was advertised on the box beside the Wii remote showing the number of players.

3234433964_7bbbac40fe.jpg

The Classic controller support was advertised on the box beside the Wii remote showing the number of players.

3234433964_7bbbac40fe.jpg

I know that - we were talking about GC controller support (as Flink said he couldn't imagine using a GC controller anymore) and the box makes no mention of it.

I know that - we were talking about GC controller support (as Flink said he couldn't imagine using a GC controller anymore) and the box makes no mention of it.

True, but the controls between the two are basically the same. It could have just been an error on Capcom's part anyway.

I would never use the GC or Classic controler on RE4, the Wiimote controls are perfect, but I had no idea! They don't say it anywhere!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3402/3234433964_7bbbac40fe.jpg

EXCUSE ME? I took this photo just now of my game. wtf?

14062009191.jpg

Shitty picture I know, but you can clearly see there's only the Wiimote+nuncuck + 50hz/60hz + EDTV/HDTV signs. Weird.

Where is your game from? I imported mine from the UK.

Where is your game from?

Its an NTSC copy, they must have changed it for the PAL ones.