NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

I'm trying hard not to read other people's impressions of the game, or reviews and stuff. The Metroid series is a love it or hate it series anyway. I remember reading a review for Prime, which just moaned about the back-tracking throughout the entire review. :heh:

There wasn't actually anything fundamentally wrong with metroid prime though. This( or rather the ign review I mostly saw) complained about the bad camera when you are walking back and awkward controls sometimes in other M.

You could never really complain about anything like that with prime. Fair enough if you didn't like the controls , they were different but there nothing WRONG with them.They worked perfectly.

Most of the complaints for prime came from backtracking, but then some people like me love that shit :D

I can't understand why these reviews would complain about backtracking - Prime is Super Metroid in 3D, its the perfect translation like Ocarina of Time was to Zelda. Super Metroid is rammed full of backtracking, so its stands to reason that Prime would.

I was so disappointed in Prime 3 being so linear, a huge shame that Retro pandered to the casual market with a franchise that is so uncasual.

There wasn't actually anything fundamentally wrong with metroid prime though. This( or rather the ign review I mostly saw) complained about the bad camera when you are walking back and awkward controls sometimes in other M.

You could never really complain about anything like that with prime. Fair enough if you didn't like the controls , they were different but there nothing WRONG with them.They worked perfectly.

Most of the complaints for prime came from backtracking, but then some people like me love that shit :D

Hmm, there were one or two things that troubled me slightly, but nothing which was ever serious. The main one was to do with the jumping, it's hard to jump when you can never ever see your feet. But then, that applies to all shooters where you can jump.

Even then, it was a minor issue.

I was indifferent towards the backtracking. It did slightly make things abit more annoying towards the end of the game, especially when the enemies were harder. But, that's Metroid. I lived with it. :heh:

I can't understand why these reviews would complain about backtracking - Prime is Super Metroid in 3D, its the perfect translation like Ocarina of Time was to Zelda. Super Metroid is rammed full of backtracking, so its stands to reason that Prime would.

I was so disappointed in Prime 3 being so linear, a huge shame that Retro pandered to the casual market with a franchise that is so uncasual.

Hmm, I don't necessarily agree that Prime 3 being linear had anything to do with it being for the casuals. It was hardly even marketed from what I remember, whereas if it were aimed at them, surely it would have seen more publicity?

Hmm, there were one or two things that troubled me slightly, but nothing which was ever serious. The main one was to do with the jumping, it's hard to jump when you can never ever see your feet. But then, that applies to all shooters where you can jump.

Even then, it was a minor issue.

?

you could look at your feet though. Hold R and look down and then hold L to lock your position, it's what I used to do while jumping anyway. Sounds more awkward than it is. but It wasn't perfect I suppose but It would have been a lot worse with dual analogue.

you could look at your feet though. Hold R and look down and then hold L to lock your position, it's what I used to do while jumping anyway. Sounds more awkward than it is. but It wasn't perfect I suppose but It would have been a lot worse with dual analogue.

Could you? Ah, I must have forgotten that.

In that case, it pretty much is perfect then. :heh:

Just by listening to the first minute of the G4TV's Review, I get the impression, that the gal doing the review felt personally insulted by the game.

When I see the complaints about D-Pad controls in Other M's 3D space, I can't help but think about, how cool this kind of game could be on the 3DS. ^^

When I see the complaints about D-Pad controls in Other M's 3D space, I can't help but think about, how cool this kind of game could be on the 3DS. ^^

I hope for a port that only uses the D-Pad. Just to piss off imbeciles who can't use their hands.

I can imagine Sakamoto and Nintendo will be genuinely quite disappointed if reviews continue to bounce around the spectrum.

I bet they'll eat Team Ninja.

Not buy them.

Just eat them.

Edited by D_prOdigy

They can. On the analog stick. ;)

Aside from the controls, the perspective would probably work great on the 3DS, too. A visual element I like in sprite based sidescrolling games, is when they do a pseudo-3D effect by scrolling objects in the foreground faster then objects in the background with the character's plane in between. I want to see how this works with 3D levels, a fixed camera perspective like in Other M and the 3D illusion of the 3DS.

Having listened to the G4TV review in its err... "professional" entirety (would be right at home in a youtube comment thread), I have to wonder what these guys are thinking. There are certainly many things to criticize about Other M. Especially when many reviewers seem to criticize the same things, there's certainly something to it. But when they spend breath and time for about three sentences, mocking the fact that missiles can be recharged by standing still and concentrating, you have to wonder if they expect to be taken serious. Sure, in a game world where doors are opened by shooting at them, an arm cannon has unlimited ammunition, ventilation shafts are constructed by roller-coaster designers with morph balls in mind and the laws of physics allow double jumps, a system for recharging missiles is unthinkable.

At least they can't be faulted for not being honest. They hate the game. I just can't take their opinion serious. :P

Edited by Burny

Just watched gametrailers review and god the script really is horrible for this game :/ That said, I'm definately going to buy it but most likely once the price goes down. I'm going through Super Metroid atm and from what the reviews have said so far, this game is more of a sequel to Metroid Fusion as opposed to Prime/Super, and i really didn't like Fusion.

Also loving the CGI clip of Samus vs mother brain. I'm guessing that's the end of Super Metroid right :heh:

Just watched gametrailers review and god the script really is horrible for this game :/ That said, I'm definately going to buy it but most likely once the price goes down. I'm going through Super Metroid atm and from what the reviews have said so far, this game is more of a sequel to Metroid Fusion as opposed to Prime/Super, and i really didn't like Fusion.

Also loving the CGI clip of Samus vs mother brain. I'm guessing that's the end of Super Metroid right :heh:

Other M takes place as soon as Super ends.

People are just comparing it to Fusion in terms of being restricted to areas and being given direct orders, which was okay Fusion but now it's like eh....again?

People are just comparing it to Fusion in terms of being restricted to areas and being given direct orders, which was okay Fusion but now it's like eh....again?

Won't get in my head just how narrow some people's tastes are. Played Fusion after the Prime series and it wasn't any more restricted than those games. You could backtrack most of the time and portions of the space station unlocked in about the same manner, as areas became accessible in Metroid Prime.

There were just a couple of story sequences before a new area opened, as well as a couple of short scripted sequences in between (which were brilliant imo).

Seemingly, not being able to access an elevator must be so far worse than not being able to get on a ledge, because you don't have the double jump yet? Actually the greatest difference between the games was the means of travel. Traveling to another area in Fusion almost always meant going through the hub space instead of traversing half the other areas first. That's not even a gameplay difference for me, but rather a less tedious way of getting to the gameplay. :P

Edited by Burny

More songs from this youtube user.

Odd this music from the website teasers is for a area in the game.

CVG Review - 8.7

As an indicator, we stormed through Other M in ten hours with just 42% of the pickups found.

Other M is a forgiving Metroid. Or rather, the most finely tuned. Nintendo hit that sweet spot: empowering without nannying. Digging out energy tanks takes the edge off the few difficulty spikes, but the natural rate of ability unlocks is expertly synchronised

with the task at hand.

Edited by Dante
Wrong song

Seeing as RMC is a big Metroid fan I was eager to read his review and its finally arrived. He gave it a score of 7.2 and quite frankly sounds like he didn't really enjoy playing it.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134390

The level of cheese is off the scale at some points. The acting and direction made me want to sigh and cover my eyes.

I thought the acting would be pretty bad in the game, I just didn't realize it could be that bad. He goes on to compare it to the original Resident Evil in terms of acting/voicing. :o No wonder Nintendo don't want voice acting in Zelda. :D

Seeing as RMC is a big Metroid fan I was eager to read his review and its finally arrived. He gave it a score of 7.2 and quite frankly sounds like he didn't really enjoy playing it.

I thought the acting would be pretty bad in the game, I just didn't realize it could be that bad. He goes on to compare it to the original Resident Evil in terms of acting/voicing. :o No wonder Nintendo don't want voice acting in Zelda. :D

I think its more of a cultural thing. I can't think of many significant games from Japan that don't have a fair amount of cheese. Perhaps the West is better at fleshing out stories in a more realistic way.

He seems picky with that kind of stuff. personally I never notice this things in English, so I'm immune to it. The cheesyness might be less noticeable to people used to anime.

Interesting, I think it was GameTrailers or someone who said that while her delivery was a bit stilted, once the player got used to it, the voice became quite natural.

I wouldn't really expect someone who distances themselves as much from society as Samus to have a perfect voice.

It clearly isn't the acting that's the problem, it's the awful dialogue.

You only need to have watched one or two of the videos with spoken English dialogue to know some of the lines are really bad. There's no fault with the English va, just the lines she's been given. No one expects to hear Samus harping on about babies and saying another person's words "pierced her heart" or any other such over the top sappy stuff. Some emotion from the character is great, but it seems like the game far overdoes it dialogue wise.

The worst one I saw was the video of her in a ship, getting a distress signal and refering to it as a signal named "baby's cry" and then saying "Baby's cry...it's as if it was crying out specifically to me..." or something equally as bad.

The issue is simple though, it's a case where I guess the script "works" better in Japanese and when localised comes acrossing sounding a bit more ridiculous. Of course the same goes for a ton of different things from Japan, which is why half the time translators leave words in Japanese so they dont sound quite to lame when translated.

In any case, it's not something I feel I can get used to sadly. I've seen those videos so many times and I still cringe each time.

EDIT:

ack FAIL, it's in the bloody title.... in my defence I'm not wearing my contacts right now :heh:

Edited by Mokong

I think this has been asked before, but are ShopTo good?

They've got Metroid: Other M for £29.85

I think they are since they are normally pretty cheap and their delivery times can't be beat - they've got my pre-order anyway.

Not too sure their International delivery times are like though.

I don't think I've avoided a game I'm looking forward to as much as I have this one. It's good in some ways but in others possibly not - I'm not read reviews that could potentially take the edge of any negatives by forewarning me first and lowering my expectations.