NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Well when everyone talks about the games they want for a new system, it's always Mario, Zelda and Metroid. Not so much Pokemon, which is just a successful one-trick game.

Everyone being who? The hardcore, so you say. The ones that frequent messages boards on the internet?

Point proven, I think?

I think you're just confusing your definition of underrated. Maybe the sales don't reflect the quality, but pretty much every Metroid game reviews well and it is generally well known by gamers that it is a solid series.

It's more that it's niche. Even if everyone bought it, it still wouldn't be underrated.

Well, you just said that the game gets good reviews, but the sales are not reflective of the quality of the game. Therefore, it would be safe to say "it gets great reviews, but nowhere near great sales." The under-rated tag is justified. It's only rated highly by a certain crowd. The crowd being us.

In the same sense, Moon is quite an under-rated film. It's only got a cult following amongst the sci-fi community. It's not received well by the masses.

To cut things short before this goes in a circle: You say it's not under-rated. I say it is. We differ. We're probably looking at different viewpoints.

What we agree on is that its a good series. Is that correct? End of the day, as long as I get my Metroid fix, I don't care.

Edit: In short, give us our damn Metroid, Nintendo. Don't ruin our summer. :(

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Oh well... I always thought that the original release window was too good to be true. I suppose that if the delay makes the game better it'll be worth it. It's just a shame that once Galaxy 2 is out, we'll be into the usual summer release drought again until September / October.

Everyone being who? The hardcore, so you say. The ones that frequent messages boards on the internet?

Point proven, I think?

Well, you just said that the game gets good reviews, but the sales are not reflective of the quality of the game. Therefore, it would be safe to say "it gets great reviews, but nowhere near great sales." The under-rated tag is justified. It's only rated highly by a certain crowd. The crowd being us.

In the same sense, Moon is quite an under-rated film. It's only got a cult following amongst the sci-fi community. It's not received well by the masses.

To cut things short before this goes in a circle: You say it's not under-rated. I say it is. We differ. We're probably looking at different viewpoints.

What we agree on is that its a good series. Is that correct? End of the day, as long as I get my Metroid fix, I don't care.

Edit: In short, give us our damn Metroid, Nintendo. Don't ruin our summer. :(

What you have to remember is that the target audience of Metroid games are gamers. Those 3 series are always the ones that fans want at E3 (in most cases) because people that want Metroid will be looking at release dates etc to make sure they know.

Basically, it's rare that anyone will say it's an overrated series, and the audience generally excepts that it is a great game. I'm not surprised people on the street miss them out, but it probably isn't because they've bought a copy and don't appreciate it.

Anyway, I guess we are just looking at the word from different angles. Even if I still think I'm right :)

Probably shouldn't have brought this up

I have a friend who things he's teh hardcore. He asked what I was playing a few years back. I said Metroid Prime 3. He said he'd never heard of that game before.

I wanted to punch him.

I was talking about the series to another friend. Some other random guy who is also of "teh hardcore" was listening. I told him I was talking about Metroid Prime. He replied, "What's Meteor Prime?"

I wanted to punch him.

What you have to remember is that the target audience of Metroid games are gamers. Those 3 series are always the ones that fans want at E3 (in most cases) because people that want Metroid will be looking at release dates etc to make sure they know.

Basically, it's rare that anyone will say it's an overrated series, and the audience generally excepts that it is a great game. I'm not surprised people on the street miss them out, but it probably isn't because they've bought a copy and don't appreciate it.

Anyway, I guess we are just looking at the word from different angles. Even if I still think I'm right :)

Probably shouldn't have brought this up

Haha, well we're probably not going to agree on it. In the end, it doesn't really matter. I still think that, on the whole, it's under-rated. Especially amongst the newer generation of gamers. Like I said earlier, as long as we both love it and we keep on getting these games, I'm happy.

Looking at LostOverThere's post, it wouldn't surprise me if that fan was a "new" or younger fan.

ah thata nothing when gta: sadn andreas was out I tried to convince people that prime 1 was better.

....which it was ha

I really wish there was more info or videos out.

I kind of agree. We've really seen so little, especially in terms of environments. We should expect more come E3 though.

Very intrigued by this one, as a fan of both traditional Metroid and the Prime trilogy.

Nintendo Power Interview Yoshio Sakamoto

- "It's certainly possible that in the future we'll go back to another 2-D Metroid using some of the ideas that have been generated on this Other M project. So please don't get the idea that this is the end of 2-D Metroid games."

- "There were certainly some members on staff who weren't entirely comfortable with committing us to a single control scheme, so they would ask questions like, "Couldn't we just make it possible to connect the Nunchuk and have an alternate control scheme in the game?" But I felt like that was essentially the wrong way to think about it. Like if you have to tack on other options like that, then you really are admitting defeat as a game designer. ...I felt like I really needed to prove something about why this was correct for the Samus universe in the first place."

- "We (Nintendo) would set forth a lot of design limitations where we'd say, "This is what a Metroid level looks like," and set those forward as prescribed ways of doing things for a Metroid game, but these guys (Team Ninja) had all of their own ideas from working on so many 3-D games recently that there was the opportunity for a lot of fermentation between the conflict of our two ideas. During the development process, I was going to Tecmo every single week to play the latest build, and I was shocked by how much the level-design concepts were changing and evolving."

- "I've come to think of her (Samus) almost as a daughter. I helped her grow up and I want to take her to as many high places as possible. I want to make sure that when she's in a game, she always has the chance to look cool and look really beautiful, and also that she has the opportunity to experience new challenges. So her development as a character is really the most important thing to me, and as I mentioned, this is a "serious touch" game. It might sound strange that I have such strong feelings for the heroine of a game, but I hope those feelings aren't out of place."

Scans:

v255_00cover.jpg

v255_pg38.jpg

v255_pg39.jpg

v255_pg40.jpg

v255_pg41.jpg

v255_pg42.jpg

v255_pg43.jpg

v255_pg44.jpg

v255_pg45.jpg

v255_pg46.jpg

v255_pg47.jpg

impressive issue. I like how this game is going I must say.

Its giving me everything I want so far and opening it up once again for new fans.. I would love for the metroid series to be talked about in the same breath as zelda because in fairness samus is a much cooler main character than link in my opinion.

Metroid too is the franchise out of the "big 3" where not only is there actually a decent amount of story continuity, but also a desire on the developer's part to have increased amounts of plot.

Samus being a woman thankfully stops her from ever having to save a damsel in distress too, so no love interest eating cake and then captured by Ridley.

Metroid too is the franchise out of the "big 3" where not only is there actually a decent amount of story continuity, but also a desire on the developer's part to have increased amounts of plot.

Samus being a woman thankfully stops her from ever having to save a damsel in distress too, so no love interest eating cake and then captured by Ridley.

Great, now you just gave me a mental image of Adam being kidnapped while eating cake :heh:

Phazon - The special ingredient for cake.

No wonder the space pirates want it so bad.

Edited by LostOverThere
Oh hells no

New Metroid: Other M cut-scene.

Looks really good. A mixture of old with new. Hopefully there'll be an English version soon.

Edited by Wii

New Metroid: Other M cut-scene.

Looks really good. A mixture of old with new. Hopefully there'll be an English version soon.

There's basically been an English version for ages...this is almost entirely old scenes, except for the scenes of Samus in her ship at the end.

There was English footage of almost all of this a while back.

There's basically been an English version for ages...this is almost entirely old scenes, except for the scenes of Samus in her ship at the end.

There was English footage of almost all of this a while back.

Yes but not showing all of this and there was more shown with Mother Brain and the Metroid plus the footage of Samus ship. But hey if you want to be negative that's your prerogative. Most people around here are hungry for any bit of information to do with Metroid: Other M.

People who pre-order Other M in America will receive a collectible art folio featuring 16 cards.

mom_art_folio.jpg

Europe on the other hand will probably get a cardboard sleeve over the game case. Or if we are REALLY, REALLY lucky, a tin.

People who pre-order Other M in America will receive a collectible art folio featuring 16 cards.

mom_art_folio.jpg

Europe on the other hand will probably get a cardboard sleeve over the game case. Or if we are REALLY, REALLY lucky, a tin.

Nice but I do hope Europe get this as well.

Where is the love for Metroid: Other M? We're about 7 hours away from it's full in depth look and yet nobody has commented on this thread in over 2 weeks. If this game can eclipse Super Metroid I'll have a new all-time favourite game(hope the new Zelda will give it some competition). My only main concern is over the controls. I feel it should've used the nunchuk.

Lots of Metroid love here, as it's probably my favourite series. I'm cautiously hyped for this. :)

Well, we've known about Metroid since last E3, played it last E3 and various events, not as if there'll be anything ground breaking :heh: