NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

The voiceover saying "A dream. It's as if I was watching a playback of a tragedy that really happened." seems to hinted that as well James.

It's obviously arranged from the word Mother and motherhood is a theme of the series (Mother Brain, Samus' relationship with the Metroid larvae, perhaps more in this game). I remember the development team saying the title would have significance when you play the game.

It might not sound instantly appealing like a generic word like CORRUPTION or ECHOES but that doesn't mean it's a bad title if it's actually relevant.

I am more interested in knowing where this story is set in the timeline?

Yeah it confirmed to set between Super Metroid - Fusion and some fans believe that Other M stands for Other Memories.

or Other Metroid

hopefully they are aware that this is a METROID game they are making here, and that it should include METROIDS or something to do with METROIDS seeing as METROID is in the title.

i don't give a shit about retracing memories or having bad dreams. but whatever, i have faith in sakamoto.

Edited by or else you will DIE

or Other Metroid

hopefully they are aware that this is a METROID game they are making here, and that it should include METROIDS or something to do with METROIDS seeing as METROID is in the title.

i don't give a shit about retracing memories or having bad dreams. but whatever, i have faith in sakamoto.

If they stick in a few jellyfish somewhere I'll be happy enough.

May have been posted before, but here's a helpful trailer breakdown, because it seems we're all having a bit of trouble remembering everything since E3!

(click on the drop down link at the top of the trailer to watch it bigger on Gametrailers)

Edited by Retro_Link

or Other Metroid

Actually this is something they should really be avoiding.

The fact the series is titled after a creature in the games is the series' biggest problem, because it suggests that every game should have Metroids in it.

That just doesn't work within the storyline though. They're not supposed to be some common as shit thing you find anywhere, the entire species was exterminated as of Super Metroid and the only known clones were both revealed and disposed of in Fusion.

This game takes place between Super and Fusion. Seeing as how Samus' is surprised to see Metroids again in Fusion, there should be no way for her to be seeing Metroids between the games, unless in flashback form.

I was really hoping 'Other M' was simply going to be a placeholder title.

I actually like it. For two reasons; firstly at the end of the first Metroid game we're warned about another metroid.

Secondly:

It's obviously arranged from the word Mother and motherhood is a theme of the series (Mother Brain, Samus' relationship with the Metroid larvae, perhaps more in this game). I remember the development team saying the title would have significance when you play the game.

Actually this is something they should really be avoiding.

The fact the series is titled after a creature in the games is the series' biggest problem, because it suggests that every game should have Metroids in it.

That just doesn't work within the storyline though. They're not supposed to be some common as shit thing you find anywhere, the entire species was exterminated as of Super Metroid and the only known clones were both revealed and disposed of in Fusion.

This game takes place between Super and Fusion. Seeing as how Samus' is surprised to see Metroids again in Fusion, there should be no way for her to be seeing Metroids between the games, unless in flashback form.

Thinking about it, perhaps it's set after fusion...Other M, perhaps means 'Other Metroid'...the last Metroid still exists after fusion...inside of Samus, so in the end Samus may be the 'Other M' Just speculation :heh:

Other Memories makes it sound too much like a new Another Code title to me..

This game could be centered on Samus's tragedies in life and this is from old interview with IGN after E3.

IGN: When you beat the original Metroid, there's a warning of 'another Metroid.' Is that what 'Other M' refers to in the title of the Wii game?

Yoshio Sakamoto: The NES Metroid? I don't remember.

IGN: [Laughing] We guess that answers it then.

Edited by Dante

I'm pretty sure that the "Other Metroid" in the original Metroid was referring to all of those other Metroid in their home planet.

Second, I agree with James. A Zelda game doesn't need Zelda in it to be good or meaningful. And if they want to keep Metroids in the series, they have already done that by turning Samus into one.

they have already done that by turning Samus into one.

Thats what I have been thinking for some time now, Perhaps the story goes all over the place in the timeline, who knows what they have done since E3's trailer.

I know Dante's already posted the translation, but hey ho...

Love that music!

Gameplay wise I guess this is Nintendo taking a step towards having their own God of War/Bayonetta/Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden(of course) style game, which is something Nintendo have never had across any of their systems!

It's a smart way of doing it though because it's a way of reinventing Metroid again after three First Person games and it's a popular gameplay style right now, and could attract new users. It will(should) have the gameplay quality what with the experience of the team behind it, but will go even deeper due to a range of combat perspectives, and all the while pleasing us Nintendo fanboys by expanding futher into the Metroid universe in a very cinematic way!

So excited for this!!

Gameplay wise I guess this is Nintendo taking a step towards having their own God of War/Bayonetta/Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden(of course) style game, which is something Nintendo have never had across any of their systems!

Luckily, I think you may be wrong.

Metroid deserves better than those (although fun enough) linear gameplay experiences that are flooding the HD systems. With Sakamoto and the Super Metroid team involved, it has no excuse to be anything but better.

Maybe if Other M can be to God of Ninja Bayonetta Lords of War of Shadow Gaiden what Prime was to the FPS genre, then yeah.

I fully expect it to be more than those in terms of gameplay, non-linear, I still expect back-tracking, exploration, and then of course first person, 2D, and arena style gameplay...

But with the more frantic pacing, chain linking attacks, melee and projectile based combat, and in working with Team Ninja, it's definately a direction they've chosen.

From old interview.

Yusuke Hayashi: Team Ninja has always tried to push the limits of the 3D action genre -- tried to make the ultimate experience for the player. When Mr. Sakamoto approached Team Ninja and me, we saw it as a new challenge that we'd like to take on. We felt it was a natural progression and definitely a challenge, but something we'd like to take on and something that would be beneficial for everyone. That's why I decided to accept the proposal.

Also, on the Team Ninja side, there are a lot of Metroid fans!

1UP: When I think of the two series, they seem very different. Metroid is very slow, methodical, exploratory, while Ninja Gaiden is very fast, violent, and action-oriented. How do you reconcile those two and create something that takes advantage of your strengths, but still feels like a Metroid game?

YH: We want to try and take the best of both. As you progress through the game, there will be more action-oriented, faster-paced sequences. But then you'll have your careful, exploratory parts of the story as well. We actually used it to our advantage to try and marry the two concepts together.

YS: When I brought the proposal to Team Ninja, I had no idea what their response would be. As we progressed through development, of course there were differences of opinion, but we were able to work through those and ultimately create something that's better than either of us could have expected. It's been a really collaborative, creative process, and I feel that the result is something that's very positive.

1UP: What most people love about Metroid is that it offers a huge, open world. It's non-linear, there's so much to explore, and you can move about at your own pace. Is that something you're going to be retaining for this game, or is it going to be more of a linear, level by level progression?

YS: If you think about this one as being maybe similar to Metroid Fusion, then I think you'll have an idea of how the story will play out. It's still linear in the sense that there's a progression, but there are side areas that players can go into. It will retain that true, Metroid feel.

1UP: Team Ninja is known for their cinematics and storytelling. Is that something that will factor in heavily?

YS: As I mentioned before, it's kind of similar to Fusion in that there's an overarching story that the player will experience as they progress through the game. It is a game, but within it is a larger story that will unfold as the player progresses.

1UP: The Metroid series chronology has become pretty long and complicated with the Prime games and the games you've created directly. Are you taking into account all the titles that have come before, or are you sticking to the story that you, as R&D1, have developed?

YS: Actually, the Prime games are just one incident within the greater story that I've worked on personally. It's not as if I was really thinking about how the Prime games fit into the sequence because, they were just one incident. But Other M will be more part of the R&D1 produced games. Maybe in "grand scheme" it would be around...3.5.

1UP: Ah okay, Super Metroid And A Half. What is the "Other M" in the subtitle?

YS: Other M has several meanings. As the story unfolds, those meanings should gradually reveal themselves.

1UP: Ninja Gaiden has a reputation for being extremely difficult, and while Metroid has been difficult, it doesn't pride itself on breaking players. Do you intend it to create a challenging Metroid, or will you go easy on us?

YH: Our goal isn't to make something that will break players. It's for Metroid fans and new players alike, so we're not taking the same approach as with Ninja Gaiden.

fuuvjndvh.png

Nohting really new but you can find a few more of Yoshio Sakamoto's musings here.

Famisu Interviews Sakamoto:

Nintendo's flood of game announcements last week included little in the way of new information regarding Metroid: Other M. Unfortunately, that hasn't changed much despite a one page interview with Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto in this week's Famitsu.

Sakamoto recapped some of what's known about Metroid: Other M. For this new Metroid title, Nintendo has teamed with Tecmo's Team Ninja and CG studio D-Rockets. Nintnedo and Team Ninja are working on the actual game content, with D-Rockets handling the movies.

Said Sakamoto, "This project between three companies, which we call Project M, is progressing extremely well."

"This Metroid is being developed with the aim of the ideal form of the old Metroid," said Sakamoto. More intriguingly, he said "It's a game that can be realized because of the Wii."

Famitsu pointed out that Metroid is more successful overseas than in Japan. Sakamoto admitted that this is the case, but added, "However, different from the rest of the series, this time we're strongly depicting the human side of Samus through such things as movies. She's a strong woman, but she also has a fragile side. We want to make a game whose charms can be felt from the story areas and these human touches as well. It's an action game, but it's capable of having a clear emotional side."

Sakamoto hopes to release the game this year, something that Nintendo confirmed last week.

While Japan may not have the largest Metroid fanbase, one of Sakamoto's other titles did end up being a massive hit last year. Sakamoto was producer on Friend Collection , which has sold over two million units and shows no sign of letting up.

Regarding this title, Sakamoto said, "A lot of people are playing it, so we're planning a lot of things. We haven't clearly finalized a followup or anything, but we'd like to do some new things."

Edited by Dante