NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

I love sunshine for it's moveset. Felt like mario could do ANYTHING in that game. Galaxy toned it down.

The graphics are also still amazing. It had it's problems i'm not going to lie but it's still one of my all-time favourite gamecube games.

Totally agree. Sunshine is my favourite 3D Mario.

What I loved about it was that it felt like a concept. So what if it didn't have all the usual areas of the Mushroom Kingdom? Miyamoto wanted to give us a tropical holiday vibe, and he succeeded. I loved the Caribbean and Hawaiian areas especially.

One of the most important things to me about playing a new entry in a long series is that it's clearly better in terms of technology, graphics and controls. In Sunshine, the draw-distance was clearly leaps and bounds ahead of the N64, allowing you to see distant coins. Galaxy was no slouch in this area either, but didn't feel like a leap to me. Sunshine also benefitted from the brilliant GameCube pad, adding analogue L+R triggers and a fully controllable camera via the C-stick. Galaxy had good controls, but not better.

Super Mario Sunshine, we salute you.

Agreed, absolutely love Sunshine, fantastic game.

Those retro non-waterpack 3D levels were great fun too, unlike the equivalent Special galaxy in Galaxy 2, which was boring as ****

So I've just started on this a few days ago, quite liking it. I think, whilst it rather is more of the same of Galaxy 1, I might prefer this. Feels like they've fixed it a bit, given more variety in the levels(I like the sort of overworld map system), and playing it I think I'm starting to take off my nostalgia goggles.

I play and tend to think 'this just isn't sm64' and compare it in various ways, but as I try to look at things objectively I think maybe I'm biased because I played it young, found it more of a challenge, and now find this easy. It's a problem I can't overcome or ever say either way.

However, I think for any kid starting on a 3D mario game like this, this may just be one of the most memorable games they do end up in playing? I always thought maybe I'd be able to stay immune to the biases of age, but I think I've fallen into the follies of growing old :(

Just glanced over this last page and ive noticed some Sunshine loving.

Now whereas i did enjoy Sunshine to an extent i thought it was no where near as good as Mario 64 and both galaxy games. I just found it lacking and overall the water pack annoying! Some of the music and the 'atmosphere' of it was fun though being in a beach town.

There is only one thing i can think that galaxy 2 was missing... and that was having more 'retro levels' from mario 64!

My biggest gripe between mario 64 and 3d iterations since is the lack of feeling of total world and explorability. Sunshine had the world, galaxy 1 felt like it didn't, galaxy 2 has gone to a map system that feels like it doesn't need to have it.

However the biggest thing I loved about SM64 was the lack of hand holdy nature that the latter iterations have had, and that in a massively large number of cases, you could accidentally discover the wrong star than what you were actually after! I loved that, I totally totally loved that. The 'secret' stars also were based within the hub world as actual secrets to discover, I feel like the latter games didn't have enough of that.

However the biggest thing I loved about SM64 was the lack of hand holdy nature that the latter iterations have had, and that in a massively large number of cases, you could accidentally discover the wrong star than what you were actually after! I loved that, I totally totally loved that. The 'secret' stars also were based within the hub world as actual secrets to discover, I feel like the latter games didn't have enough of that.

Yeah that was great, i would then have to go back to that world just to see what the star name was that i accidently got!

Spring Mario only appears in a single level in the sequel, though. Hardly a very good reason to give up on the game. :p

Hmm, i didn't know Spring Mario was only on 1 level. It re-motivates me to play the game once more.

And, noticing all the loving for Sunshine. It's not my favourite Mario game, probably because of the slime and the Fludd system they used. I loved the sections without Fludd, reminded me of the SM64 Bowser stages just with more skill involved.

Sunshine has the best hub in a Mario game, i can't fault that at all.

So I've just finished the final star. My word that final star was difficult:mad: Was thinking the galaxy would be more of a celebratory/easy one like in Galaxy 1. That final star must have taken me over 50 attempts, over 4 hours of game time spanning a couple of days. Finally got it this morning on my 1st attempt of the day:woops:

Overall, I loved the game. The final battle was a bit easy, but the stars after gaining 120 do require skill and were worth putting the time in.

I got the game at Christmas, and completed it today meaning it took me exactly 3 months to complete!

That final star does now mean I'm put off Mario platforming for a while:laughing:

Congratulations.

I'd state my final minutes with the game, but no one would believe me:laughing:

Oh yeah! Last weekend I got the final star (242) too. Probably took me about an hour. That star is insane.

Total playtime was 48 hours.

Total deaths was 741 (oh gawd).

That final star must have taken me over 50 attempts, over 4 hours of game time spanning a couple of days.

Nice going, we've all been there buddy. It felt like it took me more hours over probably two days last summer to finally clinch that final star.

I just grabbed star 241 and missed the Comet Medal in a blind panic, so will have to do it again.

How the %&@£! are you supposed to do it all with one health and no flags without being in some kind of zen like trance. I can't get through the spin block/circle laser bit without losing at least two blocks of health. Can't time my jumps right. And there are far too many Hammer Bros!

Ridiculous!

If I was in my early teens I would have stuck through ALL of the levels/stars but not having the time to get into gaming like I used to I liked how I could still 'finish' the main story arc.

I got that classic mario (read: superb gaming) fix and I know it's there for when I have more gaming time outside of my working/social life.

Fantastic game which also showed how Nintendo catered to both casual and hardcore gamers.

The problem with Star 242 is that you could waste hours and hours on it, and still not do it. I can understand that 120 Stars is the main game and the others are for completionists, but the thing is you can get the next 121 if you have the time. With Star 242, you may never be able to get it even if you have the time. It just put a sour note on what I still think is the best Wii game.

If I was in my early teens I would have stuck through ALL of the levels/stars but not having the time to get into gaming like I used to I liked how I could still 'finish' the main story arc.

I got that classic mario (read: superb gaming) fix and I know it's there for when I have more gaming time outside of my working/social life.

Fantastic game which also showed how Nintendo catered to both casual and hardcore gamers.

Put down 3DS Pro Evo and play more Galaxy 2. You owe it to yourself!

The problem with Star 242 is that you could waste hours and hours on it, and still not do it. I can understand that 120 Stars is the main game and the others are for completionists, but the thing is you can get the next 121 if you have the time. With Star 242, you may never be able to get it even if you have the time. It just put a sour note on what I still think is the best Wii game.

You can be such a whinge sometimes. :heh:

I just grabbed star 241 and missed the Comet Medal in a blind panic, so will have to do it again.

Sorry but this is too hilarious! :grin:

Haha! I was far too focussed on not getting hit as I was down to one life and one health that I was screeching and panicking far too much to even try to go for the comet medal at the end!

[TWEET]555381391073226752[/TWEET]

Available now on the Wii U eShop. It's half price at €9.99 until 22 January, otherwise it's €19.99.

[TWEET]555381391073226752[/TWEET]

Available now on the Wii U eShop. It's half price at €9.99 until 22 January, otherwise it's €19.99.

@Blade you've absolutely no excuse at this price, GET IT!!!

I've never played this one, played the first and thought it was... alright. It's no Mario64. But at that price might give it a go.

Bought myself a copy. I know I rented it originally but I cant remember if I completed it or not.

I didn't like it. :(

I loved the first, but this frustrated me and I can't remember why now.

It may have been Yoshi...

Anyway, shall download and try again!

I'm really enjoying it, I never got round to buying the galaxy games and figured I'd just skip them. In retrospect I'm pleased I didn't buy this new, great price and I can only imagine I am enjoying it as much as any one when it first came out. What's this about Yoshi.. I've only played the first level so far..