NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Bought a second hand Wii today, after I bricked my old one and thus hasn't been in service for nearly a year.

I've pre-ordered Mario Galaxy 2, now let the count-down begin!

I am geting mine from Game.co.uk and I get this

smg2_image.jpg

I got this from USA on Monday 24th May 2010

0c35e95b.jpg

Edited by canand
Automerged Doublepost

I've been playing this for an hour or so this evening, and seen most of the galaxies from World 1 so far. It's a great game, and definitely gets harder quicker than the original! Yoshi is fun to play with, and the music has been pretty catchy. I love how there are fewer stars to collect in each galaxy too - it keeps the game fresh! So far I don't think I've seen much that wasn't in the original trailers, so I'm still waiting for something to really surprise me.

Damn you people with import and review copies are lucky, I wanna play it damnit :(

Getting a bit worried about all these people saying how much harder than the original game this is. I thought the difficulty balance of the first game was pretty good. Yes it had some easy bits early on, but as you progressed to the 120 star mark it got terrifying. I don't much fancy a whole game of me screaming at the thing! :D

Getting a bit worried about all these people saying how much harder than the original game this is. I thought the difficulty balance of the first game was pretty good. Yes it had some easy bits early on, but as you progressed to the 120 star mark it got terrifying. I don't much fancy a whole game of me screaming at the thing! :D

It was pretty easy to finish the game (ie, defeat the last Bowser battle) but some of the later stars were rediculously difficult.

I think it's easier in the sense that you ALWAYS know what you're doing, you're never stuck.

but there are trickier jumps, a few little puzzle elements some might find tricky.

In all the difficulty is better so don't worry :)

If you've beaten 120 stars on Galaxy then beating Galaxy 2 shouldn't be too much of a struggle, at least to conquer it initially. Going on from there though it does get more difficult, but that is because there's simply more to do. You'll be playing it for a long time :)

I'm 20 stars into it now, and enjoying it more and more. Even though none of the music has really blown me away yet, and it all feels quite similar to Galaxy 1, I've played a few levels this afternoon that are really memorable. The first level you get a dash pepper in is great fun, and the first bee Mario level reminds me of all the best bits of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I'm giving it a bit of a rest now, but can't wait to get back to it. The only question is, do I press on forward into World 3, or go back and get some of the missing stars from earlier?

I'm 20 stars into it now, and enjoying it more and more. Even though none of the music has really blown me away yet, and it all feels quite similar to Galaxy 1, I've played a few levels this afternoon that are really memorable. The first level you get a dash pepper in is great fun, and the first bee Mario level reminds me of all the best bits of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I'm giving it a bit of a rest now, but can't wait to get back to it. The only question is, do I press on forward into World 3, or go back and get some of the missing stars from earlier?

I was a get-all-that-I-can as I go kinda guy with the first one.

But then I am a bit of a greedy shit. Just means that if you get stuck later on you've got some stars in reserve to progress :)

I had one of those emotional Nintendo moments on the second galaxy. Some big round lake planet which you freeze to go ice-skating. Ugghh just beautiful, music and everything.

Its so nice to play a game that is well, totally a game. Nothing is made at the expense of gameplay. Who cares about a storyline, give me more gamage. Point and shoot to kill gets old so quick these days. The only way to have innovative level designs really is to do something crazy like Mario Galaxy. Or maybe something like Portal on the PC.

Damn you importers, still only 10 days before the UK gets it's copies. 10 long, lovely days.

Ok...I've been playing this.

To me it's very much what Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock 1. It's so similar and while enjoyable, doesn't impress me nearly as much as the first. I'm still haven't a great time playing it, though.

I would say press on for the simple reason that the World 3 map screen has the best music in the entire game :)

90-something stars now, going on after beating the game. It has a great ending cut-scene that will have anyone who played the first Galaxy beaming from ear to ear.

Damn you importers, still only 10 days before the UK gets it's copies. 10 long, lovely days.

yup, this and the world cup and e3 all so soon, time seems to be slowing down :S in the build up

feels like christmas when i was a kid :)

yup, this and the world cup and e3 all so soon, time seems to be slowing down :S in the build up

feels like christmas when i was a kid :)

Suppose Galaxy 2 can be played in-between World Cup matches (what-ever gap(s) there be available).

Suppose Galaxy 2 can be played instead of watching World Cup matches.

Fixed... :heh: priorities people!

Nah but seriously... I just can't see myself doing much else when Super Mario Galaxy 2 arrives other than playing it to death :) there is of course the unfortunate necessary evil of work and needing to eat and sleep every now and then but apart from that, 'let's-a-go!' I say... :D

Has anyone ever ordered off Tesco?

Do they deliver on time/a few days earlier?

Has anyone ever ordered off Tesco?

Do they deliver on time/a few days earlier?

Ordered an 'extra' copy of Red Dead from them... it took nearly a week. :S

Ordered an 'extra' copy of Red Dead from them... it took nearly a week. :S

Oh, well hopefully they deliver on time with pre-orders.

I want to get back in to Monster Hunter, this is coming out, I have a huge backlog of games. I'm moving apartments, getting an extra apartment in London, the world cup starts soon, Wimbledon.... I don't know how I'm going to do everything :( Obviousjy not even mentioning work!!!

Fuck it. Scrap everything and just play this!!

Man, I'm getting really paranoid about spoilers. The only place I go and know that I wont see a massive spoiler is this place. So please, let's keep it this way.

Yoshiaki Koizumi Interview

Continuing on with Famitsu's Super Mario Galaxy 2 postmortem interview with producer Yoshiaki Koizumi, the first part of which we covered last week:

- How did Yoshi come to be involved in this game? "The idea for Yoshi has existed ever since the project document I wrote for the original Galaxy five years ago," Koizumi said. "We also had ideas for other animals like bulls and birds. That eventually morphed into the Rock Mushroom and Fluzzard, but the idea still hasn't drifted much from what we wanted to do."

- So why didn't Yoshi appear in the first Super Mario Galaxy, then? Because, according to Koizumi, it would have made things too complex and novel. "The planet and gravity stuff in the first game was a brand-new experience that hadn't been seen in games before," he said. "I figured combining that with Yoshi would have been too many new features to contend with. That's why his debut got saved for this game."

- If you're wondering how Yoshi survives in space and why eggs just happen to show up in Yoshi stages and so forth, Koizumi has some advice for you: It's just a game. "Well, it's because he's a space Yoshi!" he exclaimed with a laugh. "There are Yoshis all over the place, you know. Call it one of the mysteries of the cosmos."

- Another new feature in SMG2 was the Cosmic Witch, which helps you deal with some of the trickier parts of the game. "Giving the player video hints was an idea that we first used in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on the GameCube," Koizumi said. "SMG2 can be tough in spots, so like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, we thought we'd show not just a sample run, but also play through sections for you up to a certain point."

- And then there's the Spaceship Mario, the planet you travel around the world map on. "We wanted a Mario-shaped planet from the get-go, but we couldn't work it into the last game," Koizumi recalled. "There were some technical limits behind what we could do graphically in the first game, and we were able to use our experience to get over that with the sequel. We originally had you flying a mushroom-shaped spaceship around the world map, but the original design was kind of hard to spot on the map, so we went with something easier to notice -- a mobile Mario onscreen."

- Finally, some sections of the map require a certain number of stars before you can pass through them. How did Nintendo come up with these numbers? "Balancing the game is always a difficult process," Koizumi admits. "We had people testing out the game's difficulty near the end of development -- not just the Super Mario Club [Nintendo's debug/testing unit], but for example, a 60-year-old employee who hadn't played any 3D games before. The end result is that the game's trickier than the last one, and therefore you need to collect more stars to advance."

woah my japanese copy arrived today. got home and the wiimote is dead, havent used it so long damn thing needs charging. gonna be up late tonight playing this beauty.