NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

I can't wait for this game - I'm gonna play through the original in order to semi-stem my over the top excitement for the sequel :D:D:D

Dante, does reading/listening/watching all these spoilers for all these games not ruin the enjoyment of actually playing them?

Not having a dig, I'm thankful for all your posts, they're great. Just curious.

Dante, does reading/listening/watching all these spoilers for all these games not ruin the enjoyment of actually playing them?

I personally think that with spoilers, the only thing lost usually is the story in games that require it to be this in depth experience. However, with news stories on the original SMG for example, I doubt that anyone was truly fully prepared for the awesomeness that it was - SMG2 I hope, will be in the same boat as the first in that regard.

Its okay because i am looking forward to the gameplay.

Listening to the soundtrack on youtube is shocking just how good the soundtrack is.

kotaku = ¬_¬

Hated

The Booming Soundtrack: Some gamers will love the soundtrack, the fully-orchestrated pieces that reference old Mario games or sound new melodies. But the music is too often grandiose and it made me feel like I was always playing the game during the opening or end credits of a feature film, the music constantly at a swell. Galaxy 2 sounds big, too often. This splinter of the Mario world may be Nintendo at its most Bruckheimer and Bay, but even a buoyant guy like Mario needs a softer mood to calm things from time to time.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

hmm ya I'm also not really sure why they kept mentioning that the world didn't need another super mario galaxy. Tell that to COD,medal of honour,fifa,madden and the endless list of games which barely improve on it's previous outing.

but ya I love the music in these games. So right off the bat there seems to be nothing wrong with this game that I would care about.

I wonder why in reviews they never answer obvious questions like IS it better than the first game? in hours how long is the game? Who would like this game?

Some reviews just forget they are reviews.

I still find it hard to buy into the fact that there really is difficulty in this game. I want to believe reviews but I somehow can't. And can someone properly clear this up?: Are there actually 240 unique stars (obviously including previous comet level variations) or 120 stars?

Plus you'd think if they raised the star quota to unlock the last bowser boss that the stars would be quicker and easier to get than normal, i.e. ones obtainable by noobs.

I think I spotted a level akin to the hard levels in Sunshine when F.L.U.D.D was removed. I'd happily have a whole game of those, but with better interlinking of course

Edited by dwarf

I still find it hard to buy into the fact that there really is difficulty in this game. I want to believe reviews but I somehow can't. And can someone properly clear this up?: Are there actually 240 unique stars (obviously including previous comet level variations) or 120 stars?

Plus you'd think if they raised the star quota to unlock the last bowser boss that the stars would be quicker and easier to get than normal, i.e. ones obtainable by noobs.

I think I spotted a level akin to the hard levels in Sunshine when F.L.U.D.D was removed. I'd happily have a whole game of those, but with better interlinking of course

Yes after getting all the normal 120 stars is unlocks hidden 120 green stars in the levels after getting them it opens up secret galaxy. (ie GT review shows two of the secret galaxy level areas "Rolling Coaster Galaxy" and "Twisty Trials Galaxy" (SMS Bonus Areas)

• Mario Squared Galaxy
  • Rolling Coaster Galaxy
  • Twisty Trials Galaxy
  • Stone Cyclone Galaxy
  • Boss Blitz Galaxy
  • Flip-Out Galaxy
  • Grandmaster Galaxy

Gamespot gave the game a 10/10.

We take a 10 seriously. This is only the 7th game in this site's history to receive one. The entire reviews team had a very long discussion about this game. And the fact of the matter is, SMG2 could not have been meaningfully improved. It is one surprise after another, one new trick after another, one gleeful section followed by one even more gleeful than the last. The review spells it all out. This game is constantly surprising, constantly entertaining. It is filled with variety. You never know what is in store for you, what slice of beauty will next be served up. What makes it special is that it DOESN'T rely on nostalgia to be good. It is pure fun in video game form--an essentially flawless stream of delights and joy, with no problems of note to distract you from its awesomeness. It is in our minds the most utterly refined platformer ever created--so astounding that it is hard to imagine how it could be built upon.

That's a 10. Amazing is amazing. It happens to be a Mario game, but that's beside the point. SMG2 is impossible to dislike and impossible to put down. But you know--you could read the review. That's the part everyone seems to miss.

Hah, GameSpot wins again:

But you know--you could read the review. That's the part everyone seems to miss.

Hah, GameSpot wins again:

That comment came from here because of the bitching of story,online,replay, multi-player are more important than gameplay from the gamestop forumers.

I'm trying to avoid video / music spoilers as much as I can, but I am listening to (and not watching) a few video reviews, and the music at the beginning of the GameTrailers review made me very happy. :D

The music really is quite incredible - who'd have thought 20 years ago that games would have soundtracks so unbelievably epic!

Every now and then, a game comes along that reminds everyone just how seminal a soundtrack can be to a game's experience. Not too many people give the audio factor the acknowledgement it deserves, or even realise how much it can add to a game. Maybe it's because not enough developers treat it with as much priority as they probably should.

All I know is anyone who doesn't fall in love with the music in this game simply has no soul.

I'm sorry but how can IGN give this 10/10 for graphics, when they gave Uncharted 9/10? I just can't believe that the Wii can match one of the best looking PS3 games. Or in this case, better it.

I'm sorry but how can IGN give this 10/10 for graphics, when they gave Uncharted 9/10? I just can't believe that the Wii can match one of the best looking PS3 games. Or in this case, better it.

well it's been marked for the system. There's no point complaining about the graphics not being HD at this point in a review for the wii.

Besides since when can you compare cartoony graphics to ultra-realistic graphics.

Does IGN grade as a whole, or is it separate for separate sections? If it graded as a whole a Wii game would get around 5/6 and a DS around 3/4, which would probably just put people off.

I presume SMG2 is 10/10 for the Wii and Uncharted 2 is 9/10 for the PS3, rather than both being /10 for all consoles.

Depends how you look at it. I would say how can you not give it 10/10 for graphics? It's more striking than Uncharted imho.

"You will come to learn that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on a certain point of view".

/paraphrases Yoda

/or Obi-Wan

/can't remember which

/isn't sure what Star Wars has to do with Mario

/gets coat

:D

Does IGN grade as a whole, or is it separate for separate sections? If it graded as a whole a Wii game would get around 5/6 and a DS around 3/4, which would probably just put people off.

I presume SMG2 is 10/10 for the Wii and Uncharted 2 is 9/10 for the PS3, rather than both being /10 for all consoles.

As someone who has reviewed things in the past, I have been encouraged to try and grade it on the capabilities of the system where possible. While some comparison to other games on other consoles is logical in the case of games on multiple systems such as CoD, instances here, and especially on a grading cale should always be based upon the hardware that it is on. It's rating the game, not the hardware.

I think most sites which review games do so basing each individual criteria on the console it's being released on. So a 10 in visuals wouldn't equate to a 10 in visuals for the 360 or PS3 and same with the DS or PSP.

The thing with SMG2 is that it's probably the pinnacle of what the Wii is capable of visually and with the art direction and style they use, it easily makes a 10. While it may not get a 10 when graded on the review scales for the other consoles, I'd say it wouldn't be too far from it based purely on the fact that nearly everyone rates the art direction and style as being big contributers to making SMG 1/2 look so good.

This may sound like me being a fanboy retaliating to another but you truly are a pretty swell guy. That's like saying DS games should only get a 0.5/10 in graphics because they can in no way compare to the likes of Uncharted on a technically superior console. Sure, Mario Galaxy isn't the 1920x1080 HDR lighting experience that you wish it to be (or judge everything else by because you seem to think that graphics are the most overriding aspect in video games) but in terms of art style, and what they've done with the system resources, it kicks the shit out of a lot of things, even some titles on 360 or PS3 where graphics could have been MUCH better.

An interesting point - although I suppose the issues is deciding what rating a Wii game must achieve in order for it to be comparable to another console (if at all possible).

The reviews do certainly tend to say its the best game for Wii, and not overall. But there are many areas such as gameplay and sound where you are able to directly compare across consoles whereas graphically speaking, technology is the most significant factor rather than creativity.

I would like to say that the 10/10 and 9/10 are directly comparable but is it truly the case in today's gaming climate?

Edited by Pookiablo
Automerged Doublepost