NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Those of us or ordered from Shopto have had it since Tuesday so we are bound to be a little further along than some.

Well, my joy of having and playing the game has just been overshadowed by my Wii's disk drive stopping and restarting several times while trying to load up levels in the game. Wasn't doing that earlier but took ridiculously long to go from a white screen to Puzzle Plank Galaxy and similarly when finished. I suspect my Wii is on the way out. :nono: Have had problems with it freezing before but never any issues with the disk drive stopping and starting as it has been.

I can still use it and will continue to play SMG2 until it just stops reading the disk. But typical that something like this happens to me. :shakehead

I think my Wii-mote may be damaged, there be a crack on the B button and the pointer on-screen dissappears sometimes and takes a while to re-appear (by a while, i mean 30 seconds). Gets annoying trying to pick-up star-bits or using Yoshi.

Edited by Jimbob

I think I will celebrate Galaxy 2 day by snacking out after a shopping trip to Tesco and maybe also order a pizza in. I'm that kind of cool tonight.

Blew the dust off my Wii and popped this in. Very very nice, just done two stars so far taking my time and savouring it.

Can't believe some of you have 50 odd stars already - jeez slow down. I hope your not like that with your girlfriends - it's not a race you know! :laughing:

Yeah thats the way I feel..its a game that lends itself to being played in little chunks.

One thing I do really like is the faceship, they could have just had the map straight out but the faceship is just enough of a hub without being a hub very good design decision if you ask me.

I played Galaxy 1 in small chunks, and i can see myself enjoying this in the same manner... the world cup couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

I've only done the first few stars, so not much to report compared to some people, still... the first levels seem to have much more going on in them than the first levels of Galaxy 1 so i'm expecting gooood tings :grin:

Well I'm Sixty stars in now and still loving it! :D and before anyone says anything I don't consider myself to be 'racing' through it, the difficulty level has definitely increased since the first game but because I'm 'familiar' with the basic concept it's not really taking me that long to collect stars.

Also it's testament to the games improved design because the hub is infinitely better than the first one in my opinion and the 'tried and tested' map system makes navigation a breeze, so that you can just get on with the most important part of the game... having fun! and there is plenty of it. :)

Well, my joy of having and playing the game has just been overshadowed by my Wii's disk drive stopping and restarting several times while trying to load up levels in the game. Wasn't doing that earlier but took ridiculously long to go from a white screen to Puzzle Plank Galaxy and similarly when finished. I suspect my Wii is on the way out. :nono: Have had problems with it freezing before but never any issues with the disk drive stopping and starting as it has been.

I can still use it and will continue to play SMG2 until it just stops reading the disk. But typical that something like this happens to me. :shakehead

Well, your problem seems similar to mine. If you've had your Wii since release day in Europe (Christmas 2006) then it's most likely that your DVD drive is slowly dying.

Your 'stopping and restarting' issue is what I had a lot with my Brawl disc before my Wii finally decided to give up on me last Sunday. So what I'm trying to say is.. MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR WII BEFORE IT DIES ON YOU! :(

Star number Sixty Fouuuur! :laughing: Just entered World 5 and the game is really starting to become that much more challenging but still remains as enjoyable as ever. :D

So many times I've had to say to myself 'I love this game!' out loud because it's just so stunning. :)

Time for a nice session on this with the company of some Tesco's Finest Cookies.

This game is pure magic! The level design is absolutely wonderful! I can't stop smiling as I play this!

And now it's dead :nono: Can load up SMG2 and get to the Starship but anything else and my Wii just throws the error screen at me and asks me to turn off.

Not amused. Was needing to play through it for a review and now that's not going to happen (I have other things that I need to review as well). Typical really. My 360 dies on me for a second time on the day of a big release (RDR) and now my Wii dies on the day of a big release. Have had it since December 06 but I've never once had a Nintendo console die on me. Not once and so it's just really annoying that its happened now, and when I already have to replace one console. I'm now just wondering how long before my PS3 kicks the bucket :shakehead

Really annoyed as I was so looking forward to playing this and I'd only gotten 16 stars and played two galaxies in World 2. Guess I'll have to get in touch with Nintendo on Monday. I'm doubting save files can be transferred to and played on a new console, in the same way that VC/WiiWare games can't be.

Loving it so far, not really seeing the higher difficulty yet, though that flipping panel galaxy in world one after you feed the luma 300 bits took a few lives from me, also Gobblegut took me 2 tries to kill. Got to World 2, got 10 stars.

Taking my time, I figure I'll stop my session at every 10 stars or so, to avoid suddenlt beating in the game in a few days.

Really annoyed as I was so looking forward to playing this and I'd only gotten 16 stars and played two galaxies in World 2. Guess I'll have to get in touch with Nintendo on Monday. I'm doubting save files can be transferred to and played on a new console, in the same way that VC/WiiWare games can't be.

Sorry to hear about this, Chris! You can salvage your save files by backing them up on an SD card; some, such as Animal Crossing and Smash Bros., can't be backed up though, but most can, including Galaxy/Galaxy 2.

Just got to the final level before reaching 120 stars, and it's definitely one of my favourites of the game - also one of the most difficult, and you've got to be very precise with the controls to beat it. Anyway, I've now got 116 stars, so just a four more comet coins to find, followed by four more stars (before unlocking the post 120-star reward..).

With regards to the difficulty - I'm now on world 4 and I've died a fuckload of times so far - the comet challenges are so frickin' hard sometimes! I've had a few Miyamoto-rage moments too, lol, but it's awesome that it's a much tougher quest! Really feels like you've earned that star at the end. Plus, as some of the reviews were saying, failure is down to the player and I've yet to experience a death where the game was being unfair or broken.

Truly wonderful game - I think it's already my new favourite single player game.

Also, is it just me or are the 2D sections/levels in SMG2 mindblowing in comparison to NSMB?

Decided that i'll stop for the night at star 10... I know thats not very far, but i'm really enjoying the game and could probably sit up all night with it if i don't stop myself now.

I love the gravity 2D bits. Such a good idea :D

Pit a few hours in and like everyone else, loving it. The game is definitely harder than the first at the same stage its not even close, but I haven't really struggled with anything bar the chimps stomp star one which took 3, 4 go's.

The flip switch level didn't exactly work for me. Nice idea but I think I'm too good with the long jump as i didn't actually flip any switches other than by accident.

Can't wait to play through it, barring a severe drop in quality ,I can see this becoming the game i call my best ever in ten years time!

The flip switch level didn't exactly work for me. Nice idea but I think I'm too good with the long jump as i didn't actually flip any switches other than by accident.

Ironically yes, you can clear it without flipping the entire level :)

Still stuck on the final final star - it is the hardest level in any Mario game I've ever played.

Edited by Tphi

Loving it. Just got to world 3 so will slow down now.

Music isn't quite as amazing so far IMO it's brilliant obviously but not as many memorable tunes as Galaxy 1 so far which is a shame. Loving the old-school Yoshi sound effect when you jump on his back, awesome, shame it's not louder.

The cloud level in world 1 was gorgeous.

Flipswitch galaxy was awesome, loved the concept, and the difficulty. Ok it's easier with the long jump but more fun the normal way.

A Dizzy bee type large scale level would be nice sometime soon though.

This is quite simply pure gaming joy, Game of the Year!

Oh, one other thing... YOSHI ROCKS!!!

Time for a nice session on this with the company of some Tesco's Finest Cookies.

Is it bad that I'm tempted to drive all the way to Tesco just because this sounds awesome.

Is it bad that I'm tempted to drive all the way to Tesco just because this sounds awesome.

Nope, give in to temptation! They are that tasty...*

*has nothing to do with the fact that I work there >> no really... it actually doesn't, those cookies are damn nice.

--------------------------------------------

About... ninety stars in since last night, had an epic session on it yesterday in which I collected... a lot of stars lol :heh: I am seriously loving it though, may take a break from it today for a bit - still finishing Red Dead - but I'll be playing it later for sure as you just can't keep me away from that game for too long lol. *twitches anxiously* Galaxxxxxxxy!