NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Vitality Sensor... Are you having a laugh!

How about a USB fornication optimiser?

Lawsuit......

Love Penny Arcade.

20090603.jpg

Anyway no comment on this sensor from me, need to hear more information first really. Just seems a bit weird right now.

I can only think of a horror game using this to know when your getting scared? a fitness games to check your pulse and a relaxing game maybe? Anyway the more you think about it, the more opportunities it actually has! Just looks a bit surgical.

Anyway no comment on this sensor from me, need to hear more information first really. Just seems a bit weird right now.

It picks up your heartbeat and (possibly) your bloodpressure. And that's it, I'm afraid. Surely the thing gamers have been waiting for.

I saw the Wii-remote, and saw how it could be fun.

I saw the Wii-Zapper and saw it would be nice.

I saw the balance board, and thought this could be used to very good effect.

I saw the Wii Wheel and thought it was a good idea.

I saw WiiSpeak and thought that's a great step for Nintendo.

I saw MotionPlus and thought this is the next step.

But when I saw this, I didn't know what to think. They don't even have anything to show it to good use.

Sure, it has it's uses, but if you look how excellent stuff like the Balance Board and WiiSpeak is terribly underused, it doesn't bode very well for the Wii Vitality Sensor. For me this is the bottom for this overall quite good E3.

Reading the title of this topic, I keep hearing those famous last words the Joker uttered:

"That's not funny... That's not..."

I don't know how it will be used in games, if it will even be used in games. The way Iwata explained it, it seemed more like something that could be implemented in Wii Fit for example, to see how your heartbeat is rising, or during some yoga exercises to try and lower your heartbeat through relaxation (relaxation was the key word Iwata used in his speech, at least it sounded like that to me).

So I wouldn't look into this too much right now. It doesn't seem like Nintendo's next "big" step, just something on the side that could be used for a certain kinds of games.

I don't know how it will be used in games, if it will even be used in games.

Thats part of the problem, I thought Nintendo was a games company.

You thought wrong. They've been making a lot of money in games lately, but they're a very diverse company. Love hotels anyone?

Guys- this will never, ever be used in a game. It's for wii-fit housewives. Stop trying to imagine it being used in any other way because it won't be.

Guys- this will never, ever be used in a game. It's for wii-fit housewives. Stop trying to imagine it being used in any other way because it won't be.

I didn't realise you also shared Iwata's keraaaaaaaazy visions of the future.

Tbh it could be good if they chucked it in free with Wii Fit Plus... that way there would be some sort of functionality incorporated into WF+ which is probably what you would mainly use it for and then it may get used for other games in the future.

Anyone remember back in the N64 days where they released a similar peripheral that attached to the N64 controller that read your pulse in a game of Tetris? the faster your pulse raced, the blocks fell faster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_64

445px-Biosensor.JPG

Edited by S.C.G

I'm not going to be this negative, as this kind of thing has been used before in games - Tetris 64. I also don't mind Nintendo developing stuff like this.

I have no problem with casuals and regular folk being able to pick up and play games and get invovled - in fact I think it's great.

My issue is when stuff like this comes along and takes precedent over traditional games to the point where it feels like Nintendo no longer care about their fanbase and the core gamer.

We're several years into the Wii's life cycle and it seems like Nintendo is phasing out what brought many of us to them in the first place.

Its literally a heart beat monitor =/

How would this be fun to use, other than as a lie detector.

Tbh it could be good if they chucked it in free with Wii Fit Plus... that way there would be some sort of functionality incorporated into WF+ which is probably what you would mainly use it for and then it may get used for other games in the future.

Anyone remember back in the N64 days where they released a similar peripheral that attached to the N64 controller that read your pulse in a game of Tetris? the faster your pulse raced, the blocks fell faster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_64

445px-Biosensor.JPG

Thats a pretty good idea, the more you panic, the harder it gets, making you panic more, making it harder!¬

I'm not going to be this negative, as this kind of thing has been used before in games - Tetris 64. I also don't mind Nintendo developing stuff like this.

I have no problem with casuals and regular folk being able to pick up and play games and get invovled - in fact I think it's great.

My issue is when stuff like this comes along and takes precedent over traditional games to the point where it feels like Nintendo no longer care about their fanbase and the core gamer.

We're several years into the Wii's life cycle and it seems like Nintendo is phasing out what brought many of us to them in the first place.

Did you...disconnect your E3 feed before Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid were revealed?

So many good games appeared in the conference, 3 GREAT MARIO GAMES. People are really never satisfied.

It was 5 minutes in a conference full of games [red steel 2, golden sun, metroid etc.]

You don't like it, don't buy it.

As for uses, he clearly stated it was just a look at the future and where things could go, he never said that it was the next big thing. It could even change in appearance and be able to be used with the nunchuck too.

It would be good for fitness games to measure calorie loss and cardio workouts more effectively, it could be used to help you relax, it could be used in other ways [puzzle horror etc.]

If you don't want it, then leave it. It's not taking away from anything else. Nintendo has enough money to be wasting on stuff like this and good stuff too.

People here complain way too much, don't like the Wii then buy a PS3/360 whatever. If your other consoles are so great why aren't you playing it instead of complaining here.

[Not aimed at anyone in particular]

Sorry for the big rant, all this moaning is just get really annoying.

It was 5 minutes in a conference full of games [red steel 2, golden sun, metroid etc.

He spent around 15 minutes building up to it, and then didn't even say what they were using it for.

Did you...disconnect your E3 feed before Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid were revealed?

No I didn't. Metroid was clearly the highlight of the show and looks fantastic. Galaxy 2 also looks great. But I was expecting a lot more - and not a DS game on the Wii. I love Nintendo, a lot, but I think the show was disappointing and lacked the things I was hoping for.

No I didn't. Metroid was clearly the highlight of the show and looks fantastic. Galaxy 2 also looks great. But I was expecting a lot more - and not a DS game on the Wii. I love Nintendo, a lot, but I think the show was disappointing and lacked the things I was hoping for.

I don't see how you're saying NSMB Wii is a DS game on the Wii. Graphically, its been improved quite a bit. Just because its 2D doesn't mean its meant for a handheld. This is looking as close as we're ever going to get to a proper sequel to Super Mario World, probably one of the best Mario games of all time. The best IMO.

have been in use for quite a while now in hospitals.

Yeah, they keep slamming one on me when I get in the ambulence after having a fit... buggers.

Thats a pretty good idea, the more you panic, the harder it gets, making you panic more, making it harder!¬

[And similar comments]

S'what I said about Eternal Darkness[esque] The insanity effects would be much more... logical in how they're implemented.

for the record, I'm not moaning about the device. It's a good fit for wii fit or whatever.

but that's it.

It's not a gaming device. Stop trying to imagine it as one because, for the most part, Nintendo have stopped making 'hardcore' games altogether. They have other priorities.

for the record, I'm not moaning about the device. It's a good fit for wii fit or whatever.

but that's it.

It's not a gaming device. Stop trying to imagine it as one because, for the most part, Nintendo have stopped making 'hardcore' games altogether. They have other priorities.

I agree it won't be used by Nintendo for normal games, but didn't you see the rest of the conference? How can you claim it doesn't make hardcore games anymore?

um, because it announced what, two? Mario Galaxy and metroid- and Metroid is being made out of house.

Edited by McPhee

I agree it won't be used by Nintendo for normal games, but didn't you see the rest of the conference? How can you claim it doesn't make hardcore games anymore?

+1

Personally, I think it wasn't the content that was revealed that was the problem, it was how it was done. The event was just boring. The NSMB Wii demo sucked. The stage was rather small, it just didn't feel like a Nintendo event. Miyamoto wasn't even there. They didn't really try and hype us up for the games much either, they just showed us trailers and talked a bit. If they had done the event like they did in the past, even like they did last year, and revealed the games they did yesterday, it would be one rather amazing event.

But IMO, they showed hardcore games this year other than an N64 port, so I'm happy. All I need from E3 is a couple announcements of big franchises and the promise that more are to follow.

Thread unlocked. Loads of posts deleted. I'll start banning people from threads if you carry on, it's cutting in to my Left 4 Dead playing time :p