NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Vitality Sensor... Are you having a laugh!

This is not a game peripheral. This a gimmik for the sole purpose of milking more out of the Wii fit market. There is no part of this that was intended for the hardcore gamer. No game company that takes themselves seriously is going to make a proper game based around this, hell even if you got eternal darkness you have to play it with one hand because your other is in the damn contraption.

Again, I read this exact comment 2 years ago when they announced the balance board...

Expand your mind...

I don't like the balance board. I've yet to play something on it which holds me for more than thirty minutes. Do you honestly think Nintendo devised this for the hardcore crowd.

@Jim:

Well: No, for the balance board I knew from the beginning that you could for instance use it for things like Snowboard games (and also I don't require it for the games I normally play though) BUT this thing is pretty much useless. Except maybe a lie detector :)

EDIT: This post was of course intented regarding Jim's post before. I added that information at the beginning.

Edited by ghost_zero

Okay, let me try and spark some life into your brains that have gone to sleep from playing the same old games with different names on them.

Lets think of something like Marbles! Balance Challenge, where tilting becomes less responsive the higher ur heart rate climbs.

Lets think of some kind of first person shooter, where you have an energy bar. The higher ur heart rate, the more energy u consume. You need to replenish this energy in some way...

Let me mention sport games, and see where ur imagination can take you...

Clearly to me, very little has been mentioned about how this peripheral will be used because Iwata wants people to THINK! None of us can control what designers do with this peripheral, but at least Nintendo have given them yet another option to use.

Look I'm sorry Jim but no. This is dumb, there could be so many better periphals than this. Lazyboy was right, it won't be used for anything game-y.

Okay, let me try and spark some life into your brains that have gone to sleep from playing the same old games with different names on them.

Lets think of something like Marbles! Balance Challenge, where tilting becomes less responsive the higher ur heart rate climbs.

Lets think of some kind of first person shooter, where you have an energy bar. The higher ur heart rate, the more energy u consume. You need to replenish this energy in some way...

Let me mention sport games, and see where ur imagination can take you...

Clearly to me, very little has been mentioned about how this peripheral will be used because Iwata wants people to THINK!

But all of these game have to be played with one hand. And all of them have to have some relevance to your rate heart, after the first one how innovative is it going to be? Say there is even one game I want. I supposed to pay £40 + the £20 or so pounds his is going to cost just for some gimmick. No thanks.

Well I think that there was an N64 game that used a very similar peripheral. It measured your pulse to adapt the dificulty.

Good idea, but I'll stick to old fashioned difficulty settings!

He was going on about stress and winding down and stuff.

This will just be something like "Wii Relaxation Spa" where it monitors your heart rate and all that jazz while showing videos of open fireplaces and aquariums. Maybe something like endless ocean.

While Natal isnt my cup of tea, i do hope it kills this new perpipheral craze market with a quickness

Such negativity... But I should expect that from a bunch of poms willowing in the rain all day ;)

No one is forcing you to buy this lazyboy... If you don't want it, you won't have to buy it. It's as simple as that. Im confused as to why people who aren't even the slightest bit interested in this are doing in this thread in the first place. =/

The point is however when you use that peripheral you only have one hand left, so you e.g. can't use the Nunchack for FPS games.

Look I'm sorry Jim but no. This is dumb, there could be so many better periphals than this. Lazyboy was right, it won't be used for anything game-y.

But, then you're getting into the whole argument of what constitutes as a game, or a non-game, or un-game. Who says this can't be used for anything "game-y" or "non-game-y"? What's stopping somebody coming out and creating a game or piece of software which uses this effectively? It could be used in a Trauma Centre style game, for example.

Besides that, it wasn't even being touted as "the next big thing." This wasn't even given the same amount of focus as the balance board or MotionPlus.

It annoys me that this is what Nintendo are working on instead of creating games that push the industry and making full potential of the Wiimote, and fulfilling some of those ideas and dreams we had in our head when we first saw it. To me, where as the balance board could still be used for a new 1080 or wave race (which still haven't been announced) this is a clear message from Nintendo that their biggest project this year had nothing to do with me, but instead the single purchase casual gamer. Its a sign that they don't want my money as much as Microsoft and Sony do anymore. Microsoft showed 12 games I wanted yesterday. Nintendo showed 2.

Again, I read this exact comment 2 years ago when they announced the balance board...

Expand your mind...

Apart from Wii Fit, tell me what I've been doing with my balance board? Naff all.

Such negativity... But I should expect that from a bunch of poms willowing in the rain all day ;)

It's been mega hot here over the past 3 days, probbably heat affecting us more than the rain.

As I stated (which appears to have been used in this thread), had they announced it with something like Eternal Darkness it would have been good. Instead they've made themselves look a bit stupid because we have no idea how they intend to use ir or how effective it could be.

The point is however when you use that peripheral you only have one hand left, so you e.g. can't use the Nunchack for FPS games.

Because no good games have been released that don't use the nun-chuck right? For that matter, no first person shooters have been released that dont use the nun-chuck right? Wrong, and wrong.

I have no problems admitting that I think this is a strange move from Nintendo. Chances are its just going to be some relaxation game, focusing on breathing patterns to help lower ur pulse. That seems to be the logical answer...

All I'm saying is don't discard it, like you all did with the "STUPID SET OF WHITE F$#KING SCALES" ::shrug: If it doesn't interest you, then move on to something that does ;)

Proof, if itwere needed, that Nintendo are no longer in the business of proper gaming. What a sorry state of affairs.

Proof, if itwere needed, that Nintendo are no longer in the business of proper gaming. What a sorry state of affairs.

What is this proper gaming that you speak of?

This a sad day. No F-Zero, no Star Fox, no Wave Race, no 1080, no Zelda, no new IPs, no Kid Icarus. New Metroid aside, this was awful. And to cap it all off, Fit Plus and a heart rate monitor for your gran... I dispair.

These are the kind of rubbish comments that ARE the sorry state of affairs... It was a 5 minute entry in a 75 minute presentation, showing a new and unique peripheral that has at worst got people talking about what it might be used for. It's not like it was the backbone of the conference...

These are the kind of comments that are just complete rubbish. It was a 5 minute entry in a 75 minute presentation, showing a new and unique peripheral that has at worst got people talking about what it might be used for. It's not like it was the backbone of the conference...

We share the same name and the same views.

*high five*

This a sad day. No F-Zero, no Star Fox, no Wave Race, no 1080, no Zelda, no new IPs, no Kid Icarus. New Metroid aside, this was awful. And to cap it all off, Fit Plus and a heart rate monitor for your gran... I dispair.

Aww, man. Face-palm moment alert.

I'm fairly sure that this appeared on a Nintendo patent ages ago.

Wait: You can get a patent on something like this? Especially, since such "things" have been in use for quite a while now in hospitals. But probably they didn't get it, did they? They just wanted it.

If they have such a patent, i guess they only got it because nobody thought they would actually produce it :)

Regarding the conference itself: I don't think it was that bad. There were some nice games announced and regarding NO Star Fox, NO ... That doesn't mean those games are not coming. They just didn't announce them at the E3, they might actually came out earlier than e.g. Mario Galaxy 2. Yeah, it wasn't that great but still better than last year e.g.

And they already said last year, they don't use the E3 for announcing games anymore.

However, I think the most interesting games announced were the two Square Enix games at the beginning. FF Crystal Bearers and I think Kingdom Hearts could be good too.

Edited by ghost_zero

Aww, man. Face-palm moment alert.

Come on, when Zechs is against Nintendo, you gotta figure they did bad (no offence)

I'm fairly sure that this appeared on a Nintendo patent ages ago.

Yeah, I remember, and we all laughed it off as a joke.