NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Sports Resort

I can't help but laugh at leaderboards putting folk off what seems to be a good game, with some fantastic gameplay mechanics.

What people want and expect these days are crazy. Damn you guys are insatiable!

There's no online but the local stat-tracking is better than before- like the original there's an experience-points based system that shows your skill in every mode.

Also the achievements system gives the game extra longevity.

And I have to agree about the online- this is not a game that ever needed online connectivity.

ONM review score - 94%

+ Fantastic MotionPlus controls

+ Great variety of sports

+ Plenty of replayability

+ Ace Pilotwings vibe

- A few weak events

ONM review score - 94%

+ Fantastic MotionPlus controls

+ Great variety of sports

+ Plenty of replayability

+ Ace Pilotwings vibe

- A few weak events

So is there a tournament mode then when playing single player?

Yeah, I mean honestly, how would an "online leaderboard" add anything to the longevity of the game

lol???? It gives me a good reason to continue playing, without them there's little motivation to really work on those high scores - which is where the hours will come in. A recent example would be Grand Slam Tennis - myself and others (espec. Lostmario) have sunk HOURS into the game because of the rankings system. Without it, it would barely be played now.

Insatiable? Come on man, we are in 2009 here.

Online leaderboards are a BASIC feature in this sort of game, even Mario and Sonic managed it. To be fair, it's pretty poor full online mp is not included with at least some of the games.

Online leaderboards aren't a basic feature, folk just expect them now since some other games have them. And it's already been said why games aren't online, it's obvious.

If you want to beat a score, just go beat your own. It's not something folk are really gonna care or bother about.

Online leaderboards are awesome, specially when the first 10 are jap dudes and I can't make into the top 1000.

TBH I feel ever more disheartened with the gaming community, all I ear is complaining and bitching about every small little thing, no one is ever happy

DazzeL, just look back over what you said. Don't you think it's a little silly to threaten to cancel your preorder over a lack of online leaderboards?

DazzeL, just look back over what you said. Don't you think it's a little silly to threaten to cancel your preorder over a lack of online leaderboards?

I don't need to look over what I've said. I have already cancelled my pre-order because I need to think about this purchase now. I'm in a situation where I have very few friends who want to play much Wii, I am 22 now and life changes in that regard (sadly). In this scenario I simply am unsure about laying down hard earned cash for games which have potentially limited longevity.

I really like online leaderboards. What the hell is silly with that? It givesme incentive to play. There's scores of games that I don't own that are "fun". But I don't just play games for good old plain "fun". I get my kicks from the competitive nature of gaming and not from simply beating my own high scores. (Obviously this isn't the case with a story drive single player game but we're talking more MP games here).

I disagree that online leaderboards are not a basic feature. The competition defines what is basic and what is going beyond that level of service. In this day and age limited online functionality is downright basic. I have no doubt that the actual game will be awesome - but will I get my £40's worth? That's my concern.

If this was a ps3 wand debut game or a microsoft natal debut you could bet it would not only have online leaderboards but also online multiplayer. I know my Wii isn't as capable graphically but it can connect to the internet so why leave this stuff out? I can't understand why anyone would think that it isn't "appropriate", do you play online FIFA? Pro Evo? or even Smash? or MK?. It's the same premise - competitive and head to head multiplayer games are more fun against other humans. This may or may not be a better experience locally but we deserve the choice of play modes.

neo-wakes-in-matrix-pod.jpg

Neo: "Cool, but does it have online leaderboards?"

neo-wakes-in-matrix-pod.jpg

Fair enough. I can't really be bothered discussing it with people who just take the piss... just accept people look for different things in games. Would be boring if everyone had the same favourite features.

To be fair DazzeL's got a point. We would all love online surely? Personally I'm getting it anyway because it looks incredible, but if he won't really play multiplayer then the game will probably get boring relatively quickly!!

Nintendo need to sort this out in my opinion; more so then getting 'core' games, just make their games full y featured and I think 'core gamers' would be much more interested. On some levels Nintendo are insanely ahead of their time and in some living too much in the past....exactly like the country they're in! The new and the old collide!!

But he's missing the point completely! He has literally never played a game like this, its a new benchmark in motion controls with a game developed by Nintendo for several years, with sole purpose to show it off. What's so important about a leaderboard that can be made inside the forum anyway?

But he's missing the point completely! He has literally never played a game like this, its a new benchmark in motion controls with a game developed by Nintendo for several years, with sole purpose to show it off. What's so important about a leaderboard that can be made inside the forum anyway?

Oh I agree completely, the game is offering something completely new in gaming (for me the Wii is generally), but at the same time, if the idea of that isn't quite enough and the package is pretty limiting (which it is) then I understand that too; we can't buying everything, and something like the conduit will probably get way more playtime than this.

Though to clarify, I've already called Resort being my game of the year! But I can understand people getting annoyed at Nintendos reluctance to add online modes (which is slowly beginning to annoy me now)

How exactly am I missing the point? EA have managed motionplus and full online multiplayer. Are Nintendo not to be held to the same standard? I think most people would agree that we generally expect more from Nintendo and not less.

You're missing the point on the leaderboards I'm afraid. You personally may not put much stock into them, which is fair enough. I however, do as a substitute (albeit not a brilliant one) to full online multiplayer. They can't be replicated within this forum, we've seen it all before. People will post stuff for two weeks and then get bored and move on. For those of you that can afford/are willing to buy a new game every couple of weeks then fair enough. I can't and won't so these longevity features are quite important to me.

I agree with Dazzy. However groundbreaking this is (and I'm not sure it will be THAT groundbreaking given what EA has done already) it won't get as much playtime as The Conduit. If it turns out that Resort is a better game though then that only highlights what a shame it is that Resort isn't more full featured.

I just don't get the fun in leaderboards when Wi-Fi Connection is so unstable that it'll take mere days for some tossers to hack it and upload nigh impossible to beat scores.

I just don't get the fun in leaderboards when Wi-Fi Connection is so unstable that it'll take mere days for some tossers to hack it and upload nigh impossible to beat scores.

True, always hate seeing high scores that are impossible to even come anywhere near. It ruins the fun.

We should create our own leaderboard on here instead. Would be fairer.

I'm up for that, I trust everyone on here not to cheat. :)

Hmm, there's a few I'm not 100% confident about! ;)

I'm up for that, I trust everyone on here not to cheat. :)

Hmm, there's a few I'm not 100% confident about! ;)

I would be up for a leaderboard as well, if one ever was created. And i hope no-one would cheat their scores either.

I don't care about Online leaderboards at all but then that's probably because every game that has them, I never end up coming close to even being in the top 1000 :p

On Tetris Party im ranked like 8000 or something and I always considered myself good at tetris D:

multiplayer for the Airplane Battle stage looks like great fun

There's no point in online leader boards guys....the top entries will just be from hackers :sad: