NEurope

Like has been said, no 3D Mario games have sold anywhere near as well as the sidescrollers in Japan. The sidescrollers are far, far more popular.

Note that absolutely every main sidescrolling entry (non-port) has sold better than absolutely every 3D Mario title. Even the Gameboy games.

The side scrollers will always do better - they're much easier to play and therefore more likely to bring in casual players. Considering the shrinking 'core' market in Japan, Galaxy hasn't done too badly over there.

Got this for Christmas and finished the 'story' mode earlier today. First few worlds didn't amaze me, but World 6 onwards did, however I'm going after the remaining coins now and I'm apprecating the earlier levels more now. Pretty excited for Galaxy 2 now.

And 860,000 downloaded HOTD Overkill? So, people did play it - and lots of them. They just didn't pay for it.

Aaaaand 4million for PC Modern Warfare 2. Oh dear.

Ironic though that NSMB was protected to the hilt with anti-piracy measures yet it was still the most pirated title. Mind you it is probably a teensy file say in comparison to something like Metroid Prime Trilogy. Kinda half the reason PS3 Piracy never seems to pop up. Who wants to DL a Bluray?! Probably huge!

But yeah, the fact NSMB has been downloaded more than it sold in its first week of sales...I'm not so sure if these figures are 100% legit.

Still, it's a shambles but also worth noting that not all pirates would have gone on to buy these titles anyway. HOTD: Overkill for instance.

You could also argue that, by looking at that Wii list of titles - those downloading games are 90% within the 'hardcore' crowd. Punch out!!, HOTD, NSMB, Mario Tennis. Arguably favoured towards a mature audience, one providing titles for both their family and a mature title here and there for themselves. Perhaps this insinuates that the 'hardcore' audience is the pirating audience too. (Maybe obvious that the tech-savvy gamer would be hardcore anyway). But still, this is always a bad thing as the industry wouldn't exist without their previous custom. Ironically, I have installed the HB Channel to play DVD's and my US imports. This interested me and I like to dabble in tech, but the sheer amount of other installations you can put on Wii is pretty obscene!

NOTE:

Would be interesting to see movie/music downloads rather than painting one industry's consumer as housing a lot of pirates.

new super mario bros doesnt even work properly when you bittorent it. it has some protection on it that should be stopping this from happening.

Ironic though that NSMB was protected to the hilt with anti-piracy measures yet it was still the most pirated title. Mind you it is probably a teensy file say in comparison to something like Metroid Prime Trilogy. Kinda half the reason PS3 Piracy never seems to pop up. Who wants to DL a Bluray?! Probably huge!

You'd be surprised. BDs are downloaded, at least when it comes to movies. With hard drives of 1 TB already at decent prices (there are already HDDs of 2 TB, but those are still too expensive) and internet connections growing ever faster, it's not that complicated to download files of 15, 20 GB.

The GB is the new MB.

Where are those stats from Dante? Is there a more comprehensive list?

Torrent Freak.

The reason for no PS3 piracy because you need a blu-ray reader and hard to dumped them online also the PS3 itself is a hard to crack because its 7th SPU always constantly checking that the system and games are legit.

That's nothing new, Wii hardcore game sales have been seriously injured by this, DS games too, and PC games are more often pirated than bought.

The problem in my opinion is with the gaming press not doing its job to shun away pirates and in fact some of them promote and divulge piracy methods (Kotaku and Destructoid for example).

I got NSMB Wii for Christmas but haven't sat down with it for a good old one player session. What I have done is play it twice in two player, with two different females and blooming eck, those opening levels are so painful to play with people who are so useless. :laughing: I mean, theres zero challenge there for anyone thats a halfway seasoned gamer... but I tell you what guys, I've seen some shocking attempts at navigating world one. :nono:

How long did it take you guys to find the first star coin on World 2-2? I think it's 2-2 anyway.. i've searched for quite a while so far and still no sign.

I don't know if i should feel slightly retarded for not being able to find one of the earlier coins in the game ::shrug:

Darksnowman:

We are DKC pro's though.

I had a NSMB party night recently and the idea that you take a shot of sambuca when you died was proposed. By the end of world 2 certain people would have been hammered. We changed it to beer.

Multiplayer 2D is awesome.

(But we knew this from DKC back in the 90's.)

EDIT: The snow world map music is DKC music through and through...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by tapedeck

Ok so yeah got this for Xmas (asked for it), and enjoyed it but found it suprisingly hard!

Kept annoyingly dying before the "save points" so had to redo loads a few times. Even let Luigi do some stages for me (tbf if I hadn't, and had died, I would have had loads to do.) I'll go back to complete them properly at some point.

But yeah, think I'm getting into it now...on World 3, the second half of world 2 didn't cause me much/any trouble. I know it's probably really easy and I'm just odd, but yeah. Good though!

I found that coin, sneaky buggers. I had my suspicions where it would be (after completing the gem that is WarioLand), but couldn't bring myself to do it untill it was my last resort.

I'm really loving this game; Overall its beyond great, and then theres the little bits dotted around that just leave you with a big grin as you manage to pull them off. Well done Nintendo.

This game has sold nearly 7 million copies. Reggie should have been braver and said this game will sell more than MW2 on any platform :) It's behind the 360 version, but I reckon it'll be over it by the end of January (when the period ends). Crazy crazy world!! It's a great game, but what is it about it that appeals to so many people? I don't get it!

he is the man pretty much behind moon, dementium and other games of the past. He likes to post up video blogs but this time he's talking about new super mario bros. I like this guy. he doesn't often rant and I happen to agree with most of his points especially the bumping which i complained about even before the game was released lol

Bought this a couple days ago. Completed the first four levels and it been awesome so far. I love it everytime I see Koopas dancing to music^^

Has anyone tried those super skills you see in the hint movies? It's crazy, whoever are doing those has some guts. I always crawl my way through the course overanalyzing everything. I haven't even found the hidden exits myself, needed the movies to do it.

he is the man pretty much behind moon, dementium and other games of the past. He likes to post up video blogs but this time he's talking about new super mario bros. I like this guy. he doesn't often rant and I happen to agree with most of his points especially the bumping which i complained about even before the game was released lol

Wait a second, ......Does the game still freeze when someone grabs a power-up or somebody revives someone else?

Wait a second, ......Does the game still freeze when someone grabs a power-up or somebody revives someone else?

Yes but that's not really as noticeable as you might think. Even when somebody dies the game stops for a second but Again not really THAt noticeable you gte used to it.

I pretty much agree with everything he says.. A thing that isnt brought up enough in nintendo game reviews is options in nintendo games... Choices. New super mario bros doesnt allow you to play with the classic controller I think.. You may think what's the point? but meh.. Some games like pikmin dont have options whatsoever I think.

Most of the time It works well but it's one of the reasons why games like f-zero gx outshines A lot of nintendo games is the sheer choice in the game. it would not have been as good if nintendo made it.

Edited by mcj metroid