NEurope

Hmmm. Pretty good for NSMB. Guess this will sell better than Galaxy afterall....some times the general public baffle me. Both great games though!!!

Japan's Mainline Mario entries (no remakes and re-releases)

01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000

02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 5.575.000

03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000

04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000

05. [sFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000

06. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000

07. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000

08. [sFC] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo) - / 1.770.000

09. [N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 162.111 / 1.639.921

10. [NFC] Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 1.630.000

11. [NGB] Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Nintendo) - / 1.590.000

12. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 256.431 / 964.414

13. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 936.734

14. [GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 280.610 / 789.989

Wow, As of July 9, 2008, Super Mario Galaxy has sold [in total] 912,746 copies in Japan. That being said, Galaxy managed to shift over 8 million units globally so I wouldn't be all that worried.

Edit: Damn, didn't realise there was an additional page which Dante had already posted the sales figures on. Stupid crazy Dante. :P

Edited by LostOverThere

It does actually piss me off a bit that NSMBWii has almost sold as much as Galaxy did total in Japan in a single week. It's like anything new that isn't casual is just totally uninteresting to Japanese people nowadays. They flock to generic sequels of long running franchises of course.

Actually I see that even the highest selling 3D Mario game in Japan (Mario 64) only sold 1.6 million copies, nothing compared to stuff like the 5.5 million of NSMB DS. All the top selling games are sidescrollers.

I guess 3D Mario just isn't anywhere near as popular as sidescrolling Mario in Japan? I guess that means this game was a genius move on Nintendo's part to get another Japanese huge seller on Wii. Especially when the system is weak over there just now.

It does actually piss me off a bit that NSMBWii has almost sold as much as Galaxy did total in Japan in a single week. It's like anything new that isn't casual is just totally uninteresting to Japanese people nowadays. They flock to generic sequels of long running franchises of course.

Actually I see that even the highest selling 3D Mario game in Japan (Mario 64) only sold 1.6 million copies, nothing compared to stuff like the 5.5 million of NSMB DS. All the top selling games are sidescrollers.

I guess 3D Mario just isn't anywhere near as popular as sidescrolling Mario in Japan? I guess that means this game was a genius move on Nintendo's part to get another Japanese huge seller on Wii. Especially when the system is weak over there just now.

The japanese have the worst taste in everything. Seriously.

Mind boggling numbers on Galaxy in Japan! Thank God it did well everywhere else! Wouldn't susprise me to see NSMB Wii to top this list in 5 years time!!

Another way of looking at it. Modern Warfare 2 sold more in a day than Galaxy sold in nearly 2 years in Japan!!

*i realise it's not entirely comparable, but the point is still valid*

The japanese have the worst taste in everything. Seriously.

Besides Japanese love for Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, I agree with this post.

Hmmm. Pretty good for NSMB. Guess this will sell better than Galaxy afterall....some times the general public baffle me. Both great games though!!!

Mario Galaxy has still done well and it shows that there are hardcore gamers out there on the Wii that really want to continue playing awesome games.

NSMBWii is a game that attracts hardcore, casual and retro nostalgia fans. So really it's no surprise, I am happy with the sales, means there might be some more 2D platforming games coming back.

Edited by killer kirby

Would you recommend this for the hardcore single gamer?

Because personally I couldn't care less about online [unless I want it on a PC] and co-op isn't going to be that readily available. Thus the majority will be alone time, which is mainly how I like my gamings.

I'm also a single gamer, and I am drawn to this game. I haven't got it yet (in fact, Disaster was the last Wii game I bought, a year ago) but I will at some point, when I find it cheaper. To me it looks like Super Mario World, is that single player enough for you? :heh:

Would you recommend this for the hardcore single gamer?

Because personally I couldn't care less about online [unless I want it on a PC] and co-op isn't going to be that readily available. Thus the majority will be alone time, which is mainly how I like my gamings.

Yes. It is a great Single Player game :)

As a single player gamer, I absolutely adored NSMBWii. Although I've completed it, I'm still continuing to play to get those additional star coins to unlock the stuff in World 9.

Put simply, I highly recommend it.

So i've got this now. Seems like a nice game. Nowhere near Galaxy though. Feels very low budget which is typical of Nintendo. Only done first two worlds though and multiplayer doesnt seem that great yet.

Kind of wondering why so much hype? Is it because Wii owners havent a decent game in ages :p

Edited by Choze

So i've got this now. Seems like a nice game. Nowhere near Galaxy though. Feels very low budget which is typical of Nintendo. Only done first two worlds though and multiplayer doesnt seem that great yet.

Kind of wondering why so much hype? Is it because Wii owners havent a decent game in ages :p

Haha. no.

Probably because it's a mario sidescroller on a NINTENDO console since ages.

I probably won't look at it once I finished it within a week or so, but will stull be buying it for the right price.

600107-oh_you_super.jpg

low-budget typical nintendo? now just because the games don't want to be movies doesn't mean they are low budget.

Multiplayer isn't perfect but it's fun. It can be like a pinball machine at times.

But it's good stuff. You need to get past world 2 and get to the challenging parts.

Choze.. If you just die 8 times at the start of every level, you'll be able to watch (like a movie) the whole game complete itself. One giant side-scrolling Mario movie icon14.gif

Iwata Asks: New SMB Wii Vol. 2

Nakago: And Excitebike was released in November. As Excitebike was being developed in Tokyo, I went on a lot of business trips there together with Miyamoto-san and we'd often stay over in a hotel. That was right at the start of the bubble economy and there were times when it would be really hard to secure a hotel room. There were even times when we slept in the same bed.

Iwata: …What!? (laughs)

All: (laughter)

O_o

The hype is from old school gamers that played SMB3 and SMW almost 20 years ago. It's kind of like a blast from the past.

Yes. It is a great Single Player game :)

Yep Eevil Murray I think you'll find it's a better single player game than co-op. I've tried playing co-op but because you can kill each other by running them off the screen it becomes a bit annoying sometimes (and a game of who can survive longest!). I'm going to play it through myself when I get chance :D

The Iwata asks interviews for this are great. I especially love seeing more comments from Takashi Tezuka. He's perhaps one of the most underrated developers that exist, seeing as he worked on the original SMB and Zelda, but more importantly directed SMB3, SMW, Yoshi's island and Link to the Past... and yet not many people even know who he is.