NEurope

guess miyamoto will be showing this tonight behind closed doors.. hopefully anyway.. id like to hear some impressions on this..

Looks like a bit of a mess in 4 playe to be honest.

my concerns:

the graphics.

hope its not a port

thats all... its mario they wont fuck it up i hope.

It's obviously not a port...

Why havn't they gone for a beautiful 2D style though like Four Swords, or Wario Land?

I really don't like the NSBM style, it seems to lack all charm and personality, and the foreground is to seperate looking from the background.

Super Mario World, looks far better than the style of NSMB IMO, even a new game in that style would have looked nicer!

It's obviously not a port...

it certainly looks like one though...

Just want to see what the one player is like and im sure it isnt a straight port at the end of the day but i find the graphics a little disappointing.

Why havn't they gone for a beautiful 2D style though like Four Swords, or Wario Land?

I really don't like the NSBM style, it seems to lack all charm and personality, and the foreground is to seperate looking from the background.

Super Mario World, looks far better than the style of NSMB IMO, even a new game in that style would have looked nicer!

I very much agree with this.. The graphics are a very missed oppertunity. the 3d makes it all seem so bare and lifeless sometimes.

This looked amazingly mediocre. They had a great opportunity to do a much better looking sidescroller on the Wii and...it's exactly the same as NSMB?

Still it's a new Mario sidescroller with new suits and the co-op sounds interesting. It cant be all bad but truth is I'd be more excited if this same game was on the DS instead with the same features. The fact it's on the Wii is why it seems a bit disappointing.

Not only did it look very medicore, they could've had a much prettier graphical style for a new 2D Mario, but the new power up looked poor and it really was a let down.

This show was terrible. New Metroid aside it has just confirmed that I need a 360

I liked it- i loved the DS game, and Co-op should be fun too. However, as welshy said it shouldn't be a full price game, and it screams ONLINE CO-OP.

If its £20 with online, its a must buy for me. Without online, £15 tops.

I liked it- i loved the DS game, and Co-op should be fun too. However, as welshy said it shouldn't be a full price game, and it screams ONLINE CO-OP.

If its £20 with online, its a must buy for me. Without online, £15 tops.

No online co-op means no purchase for me.

By the way have you guys seen Red Steel 2 in motion? It looks incredible!!!

It looks fun, but if they had used sprites or anything else to make it look like a cool 2D game it would have been a LOT better. Actually.. Giving it another thought it doesn't even seem that fun anymore considering all the things they could have done with this. Laziness, I'd say.

No online co-op means no purchase for me.

By the way have you guys seen Red Steel 2 in motion? It looks incredible!!!

Agreed, and agreed!

It looks fun, but if they had used sprites or anything else to make it look like a cool 2D game it would have been a LOT better. Actually.. Giving it another thought it doesn't even seem that fun anymore considering all the things they could have done with this. Laziness, I'd say.

And agreed! For a brand new 2D Mario game (as a pure platform game), the first on a home console since the SNES, it was lacklustre to say the least.

it certainly looks like one though...

Just want to see what the one player is like and im sure it isnt a straight port at the end of the day but i find the graphics a little disappointing.

You need to check your definition on the word Port.

Using similar assets != Port. Port = Mario Bros 2 from Mario All Stars into Mario Advanced or LttP onto GBA. This is a totally new game just using the same assets

Also, it does not look exactly the same as the DS one. The models are MUCH crisper and more detailled

Not only did it look very medicore, they could've had a much prettier graphical style for a new 2D Mario, but the new power up looked poor and it really was a let down.

This show was terrible. New Metroid aside it has just confirmed that I need a 360

The "new" power up doesn't look poor and isn't poor. There was a platform in NSMB that did this, this just makes it more common place. I don't remember complaints about it then

Before metroid was announced I was convinced I should sell my Wii...

The game, graphically, looks TERRIBLE. NSMB already had probably the worst Mario art style (no charm and boring as) and they've taken that. Eugh. I also hated the how floaty and slow NSMB felt; an engine similar to SMB3 would have great but oh well.

Agreed, and agreed!

And agreed! For a brand new 2D Mario game (as a pure platform game), the first on a home console since the SNES, it was lacklustre to say the least.

it was a step in the right direction.. it wasnt better or even close to 3 or world but it was getting there. surely it can only get better.. I mean how could it get worse... It get's better by

a) having better(it wasnt great in new)

b) better map screen( dont copy 3 when worlds was always better anyway)

c) better graphics.. this was excuable for ds but i will NOT accept this for the wii... the other stages better look much better!

d) more powerups.. having the ability to fly and other interesting powerups. like some that were in galaxy... Useful ones now mind you like the SPring n mario galaxy which annoyed the shit out of me)

e) more challenging! and for gods sake make it longer.. the game was the same size as an 18 year old nes game.. inexcusable..

You know I honestly dont get anyone who thought it was "terrible" before Metroid

Galaxy friggin 2 was before Metroid. I mean shit before the conference probably people wouldve been happy if they knew that Galaxy 2 was the only new game they were gonna show because it would be that big a game to most people.

It wasn't very revolutionary looking but it's still a sequel to what a lot of people regard as the best Mario game ever.

Also even without Galaxy 2, the conference prior to Metroid was still far better than last year's and 2007 as well. With Metroid it's easily the best since 2006 and in the top 3 best ones since 2004.

And what would impress you? Its much better than the generic tripe every other developer brings

Oh...from the Screenshots...you can ride YOSHI in this game

There is also a Penguin suit that allows you to shoot Ice balls out

The games levels really actually look incredibly stunning. You should watch the video when people post it outside the pressroom

And what would impress you? Its much better than the generic tripe every other developer brings

Oh...from the Screenshots...you can ride YOSHI in this game

There is also a Penguin suit that allows you to shoot Ice balls out

The games levels really actually look incredibly stunning. You should watch the video when people post it outside the pressroom

well thats a good thing if it looks stunning. yoshi is a needed addition.. im sure youll be able to fly also

I can't believe people are bitching about this. I was so happy when I saw it. Maybe I'm the only one who played 4 swords.

I can't believe people are bitching about this. I was so happy when I saw it. Maybe I'm the only one who played 4 swords.

Yeah right, just watched the video and I think it looks really good!

4 Swords was amazing :D But comparing a platformer to a LTTP style co-op game...

That screenshot sells the game to me more than what was shown at the conference earlier.. I suddenly feel more interested :yay:

No, I too am really looking forward to it. Looking at the video on the press room, it appears to be great fun in both Single & Multiplayer.

Can't wait...certainly going to be a staple on the games nights I have

I feel better after seeing this and the Koopa kids. ^^

....but please get rid of that annoying theme.

Wonder if Peach will be a secret character in the game, so you could have the same 4 player line up as Super Mario Bros 2?

Edited by welsh_gamer

It's not hard to see this being hella fun, even with only the one willing buddy.

Return of the Koopa Kids?

Justice at long last! A cause for celebration! :yay:

I'm more excited about this than about SMG2, truth be told.